General Question Squatting while peeing at 6months

Jeffrey

Aug 10, 2012
Country
China
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeffrey, Hero and Saber
Dear All,

My bulldog JJ is 6months old now but when he pee's he still is squatting. Also he does not seem to like to pee when i take him out unless he really needs to go. Is this normal and should I be worried?

He is a very timid dog but is always very curious when meeting other dogs and is scared of other dogs he meets unless they act very aggressive to him. However, usually other dogs are not as welcome to his curiosity and always shy away from him after the initial sniffing - it same for big and small dogs. The only time when a dog seemed as excited and as friendly as he was is when we met a French bulldog. Is it something about his breed that intimidates other breed of dogs?

thanks in advance for any comments :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bo is going to be two in February and still squats when he pees most of the time. How they pee - unless there's some discomfort or blood or worse -- shouldn't be a concern. I doubt there's a connection between how a dog pees and timidness.

Just like people; all dogs are different. I've found that MY energy dictates how my dogs will behave. If I am fearful; they'll be too. The more calm I am and the more control I have over the meeting; the better it goes!

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Has he been "fixed"? If so, he may always pee that way. If not his testosterone may not have kicked in yet. From what I can see with my dogs, lifting his leg to pee is tied to being a male. My guy who was not fixed until he was 3, does it. He also marked everything inside the house and out. My guy who was fixed quite young does neither and he's now 2.

I don't think the shyness is tied to breed. Bulldogs are supposed to be neither shy nor aggressive according to standard. Try taking him on socialization outings to pet stores and places that allow dogs in. Sometimes that helps.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi Jeffrey ... JJ is a cutie.

Lifting or squating really is just a matter of the dogs preference as well as level of dominance. I worked at a doggie daycare for 4 years and witnessed a good mix of female leg lifters and male squaters and when i asked the trainers about it... they stated it was the same a blend of preference and dominance level and there is no right or wrong to it

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Aug 10, 2012
Country
China
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeffrey, Hero and Saber
Thanks all for the comments and advice!! It makes me more comfortable that he is not the exception.

JJ is perfect for us and I would describe his personality as 'calm submissive'. He is a very sociable dog and usually gives as much as he gets unless the other dog gets aggressive in which case he backs away. He is also extremely friendly to strangers and being in China where English bulldogs are quite rare, he always pulls a crowd and ppl are so surprised how friendly he is since they think he looks aggressive. They usually mistake him for a sharpei or just have this confused scared look on their faces!!..lol.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas is 3 and a half years old he has NEVER lifted his leg to pee, nope still pee's like a girl. Nothing wrong with it.

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Tonka is 9 months n squats. He tried to lift once at about 6 months after watching my parents golden do it and fell over!! Lol he has not tried it again

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Herman is 7 months and squats. My breeder told me if he ever does lift his leg, it will probably be like an inch off the ground because bulldogs are too lazy so I dont have to worry about him spraying anything LOL That seems to be the case with him.

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Rook is just over a year old, and is still a squatter... Which I find endearing. I've only seen him lift his back leg once, but it was because he was standing on an incline and the pee was getting close to that foot. :lmao:

Ive also found that Rook is a very sociable guy, but he still has a lot of puppy energy. Older dogs that we have met just aren't up for dealing with that, but if you find other dogs with the same energy level the will be best friends.

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Aug 10, 2012
Country
China
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeffrey, Hero and Saber
Tonka is 9 months n squats. He tried to lift once at about 6 months after watching my parents golden do it and fell over!! Lol he has not tried it again

Haha....I can totally imagine that happening!!!....if only u had caught it on camera it would ave been a classic.

eleanorsserf

Sep 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor and Alfred
Interesting, did you bring him to china with you or did you get him there? How do the people react to them there?

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
When I can, I still squat when I pee too.... its a comfort thing. Bullies are just lazy...
It takes a lot to lift your leg like that and if you have a bull blader then we're talking about holding the leg up for a full minute!...

On a side note :
I'm also scared of slimey snakes ... .... maybe there IS a correlation.... :ROFL:

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Bo is almost 2, he is a squatter. The only time I have ever seen him hike his leg is when we are around other dogs and he seems to be sniffing really hard and appears to be marking his territory.

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Beefy is 11 months and he squats to pee. Honestly, I don't think he could lift his leg if he tried.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.