Help Needed! non-stop paw licking and chewing

moms2bullies

Oct 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
chance & safari
Hi everybody, i am a new member and looking for help with my 4 year old female english bulldog. We purchased her from her breeder a year and 1/2 ago and ever sense we got her she is always licking/chewing her paws. she has had all the tests for allergies and she is allergic to timothy grass but no food allergies. she is on royal canine urinary SO because she is prone to getting stones. she had surgery for a blockage back in january of this year. she has been on the allergy shots and they dont work. her vet tried her on prednisone and it did work but that is only a temp fix as they can not be left on that. so now the vet had her try cyclosporine once a day and that does not work either. her paw licking is driving us crazy not to mention it makes her and everthing else all stinky and i am always washing everything but it has caused her to get infections in her paws so then she has to go on a antibiotic for that. its like a viscious circle with her. now we are wondering if its a habit/ or behavior problem. i brought this up to the vet and she still keeps saying its her allergies. has anybody else experienced this? and help would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm sorry to say it's most likely the food. What kind of stones did she have? My Usko has had urate stones surgically removed and the vet wanted to put him on those kibbles too. They are really not that good. I feed raw food very much against the vet suggestions and he is doing great. No crystals or stones since the opp. If you don't wan't to feed raw you're better of feeding home cooked than that kibble. Only it is vital to know what kind of stones she had. I can give you suggestions if you can tell me what kind of stones she had.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree with [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] ,,,it is the food. RC is not a high quality food ... i am going to tag some users that can help you find a better food that will not impact the issues with her track/stones.
Thing to keep in mind is vets are not up nutrition they just sell what they get pushed on them by the big companies.

[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION]

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well i read up on stones briefly for another thread and i think what kind of stones is important. it was said that canned food or home cooking was best but i read another thread just now that said they were feeding their dog the honest kitchen for stones and their dog was doing great. let me know if i can help more as the food thing is very hard. have you tried maybe putting shoes on to keep from the licking. do you give benadryl or some anti histamine to see if this helps.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.