Help Needed! After surgery

FaddieMaddie

Oct 11, 2012
Dubuque, Iowa, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Madison
Madison got spayed today and had her entropion corrected. We got her home about 3 1/2 hours ago. She vomited about 3 times and finally fell asleep about 2hours ago. Just wondering if I should offer her food tonight. And if I do should it be her regular food or a bland meal of hamburger and rice? Can English Bulldogs even have rice???

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i wouldn't try tonight but maybe give her some water. Lola threw up all night even the water when she was spayed... she ate well the next day. we fed her rice and boiled chicken for a day or two. i hope she feels better son!

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Some bullys can have rice and some can't. I'd let her fast until tomorrow and get the drugs out of her system. It won't hurt her and she's probably not terribly interested in food anyway. Make sure she has easy access to plenty of water though.

I saw that you are new here. What are you feeding your gal? This is very important since so many bullys can't tolerate so many foods. Grain free is the way to go. There are many great brands out there too. You'll find food ratings and everyone is happy to share what works best for their dog. Good luck. Your gal will be up and about before you know it.

OP
FaddieMaddie

FaddieMaddie

Oct 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Madison
We are feeding her Native Performance 1. I have researched it and felt it got good reviews but looking at a post on here it's rated 3 out of 6. So I'm kinda conflicted. She has minimal to no gas and her stools are formed. It seems to agree with her.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I hope she feels better soon give her some kisses for me

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
As others have said, just skip her meal tonight but offer water, hope she feels better tomorrow. When ours get spayed our vet will keep them over night to monitor them and won't let them come home before they eat and we always just feed them their regular food.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
You've only had her for 2 weeks. The food thing is about more than agreeing with her and having firm stools. EBs have so many allergies to foods and everything else, it's not funny. Why not start her off right with a food less likely to aggravate any of those? You really don't want to be dealing with itchy skin ear infections and all the other stuff that comes with an allergic EB if you can help it. Spend some time reading the threads here and you'll see what some folks have to deal with. It can be costly to get those symptoms under control once they get going. I didn't call my Grizelda a "walking vet bill" for nothing. I only got them and her vet bills under control when I found a food she could eat.

OP
FaddieMaddie

FaddieMaddie

Oct 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Madison
I am totally open for food suggestions. Madison does seem to have some allergies. The vet recommended a daily dose of Benadryl to help, but as a nurse I am well aware proactive is better than reactive. I have spent much time researching food but have seen so many different answers so I am lost.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I'm not a food expert by no means but after researching here I learned quite a bit. My other non bullies ate Purina Pro Plan for years and they were as healthy as oxes and their coats were beautiful. But they weren't bullies. I've gone through a couple of different foods. If you need more help on foods check out the nutrition section as there is some really good posts. Ultimately you'll find out what works for you, well Madison. I have gone through 3 food changes and now I'm feeding Earthborn Holistic Grain Free, the Coastal Catch. So far so good now. Here's a couple good links for you if you haven't read them already.

Dog Food Ratings
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content.php?r=219-Dog-Food-Ratings

Our Top 5 Recommended Dog Food Choices
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content.php?r=203-Our-Top-5-Recommended-Dog-Food-Choices

Back on topic now. Like the others suggested and I'm sure you already have since I'm late here, skip the meal for the night.

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Hoping Madison didn't have anymore nausea or vomitting!! How does her eye look? Do you have any pics of her post op eye to post? My Bocephus is having his entropion fixed on Monday morning and I'm really scared for him. Thanks and give your baby some extra hugs from me and Bo!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online