General Question Is mange contagious

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon was at the kennel this weekend and it looks like he is getting two little bald spots I don't know if anyone there had mange I was just wondering if it was courageous? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350002026.423376.jpg

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
No I dont' believe it is. All dogs have these mites but their immune system is usually strong enough to keep them under control. If for some reason their immune system is weakened then the mites basically "take over" and that's when you start to see the effects of mange.

Or at least that's the way I understand it. If I'm wrong then hopefully somebody will come along and correct me.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
If its demodetic mange itss not contagious...If its scarpotic mange itss highley contagious. I would take him to the vet for a skin scrape just to be sure. Usually mange starts on face, legs, feet....I could be wrong so I will tag some others [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]

OP
Baconator

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Thanks it's not red and irritated and isn't bothering him at all I just want to be safe not sorry. Did the pic attach I'm using tap a talk so I'm not sure

Last edited by a moderator:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Thanks it's not red and irritated and isn't bothering him at all I just want to be safe not sorry. Did the pic attach I'm using tap a talk so I'm not sure

Haha instead of me clicking reply with quote i clicked edit and put my post with yours lol

Yup the picture attached. Its hard to tell with mange thats why the skin scrape would be the waay to determine. Let us know...I hope its nothing!

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Oh no! I hope Bacon is OK. Demodex mange isn't itchy or red, but scarcoptic mange is itchy (I think). Please check him for any other bald spots and get him to the vet for scraping ASAP. But make sure you find any other spots so they can scrape those as well to be sure.

OP
Baconator

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Thanks again everyone, do the spots get bigger really fast? He had a spa day at the kennel and we aren't sure if the bald spots are the result of the trimming or maybe they were there before and we didn't notice because his hair was longer. We are trying not to be psycho run to the vet for everything parents (for once)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks again everyone, do the spots get bigger really fast? He had a spa day at the kennel and we aren't sure if the bald spots are the result of the trimming or maybe they were there before and we didn't notice because his hair was longer. We are trying not to be psycho run to the vet for everything parents (for once)

The spots grow based on the mites activity, but it is possible you did not notice the size of them if you had his fur trimmed down --- guess it is a little bit of both :D

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman

LOL I think its OK to go for this one....just to make sure you find out what it is.

However, dont just randomly bring poop for it to be checked, like I did :blink: I still haven't heard back from them......

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.