Help Needed! Jaw Cracking/Popping

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
This might sound odd, but lately I have noticed that occasionally when Tonka yawns, his jaw will crack or make a little popping sound. This also happens sometimes when he lunges at the treat I have in my hand for him in an effort to eat it as quickly as possible. I never noticed this until very recently so it must be a new thing. It's definitely audible. Is this normal or is this a problem?

I'm worried because my boyfriend plays rough with him sometimes (Tonka loves it) and Tonka can also get rough with his toys and play biting etc. and I keep thinking the worst and wondering if the rough housing could have done something to his jaw. Could this be caused by that? I would feel so bad if it were. Any advice or anyone hear this happen with their bulldogs?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Not sure is that would cause it or not, but it may be something you bring to your vets attention and see if he wants to look at it.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Boy I would have no idea either. Jack our non bully got a piece of nylabone wedge in between his teeth and he made his jaw appear like he had dislocated it. I was so worried and ready to take him to the vet. He was bothering him but not in a pain way and finally it dislodged and back to normal his jaw line went. If it continues do call your vet and have him looked at.

Hope he's ok.

pigbaxterboo

Oct 16, 2011
Portland,Dorset,UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Baxter and George
George's jaw does this too, exactly as you've described. doesn't seem to bother him and he manages his rmb's without problem so I've not been bothered too much

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
This might sound odd, but lately I have noticed that occasionally when Tonka yawns, his jaw will crack or make a little popping sound. This also happens sometimes when he lunges at the treat I have in my hand for him in an effort to eat it as quickly as possible. I never noticed this until very recently so it must be a new thing. It's definitely audible. Is this normal or is this a problem?

I'm worried because my boyfriend plays rough with him sometimes (Tonka loves it) and Tonka can also get rough with his toys and play biting etc. and I keep thinking the worst and wondering if the rough housing could have done something to his jaw. Could this be caused by that? I would feel so bad if it were. Any advice or anyone hear this happen with their bulldogs?

Did you find out what this was? Herman's started this a couple of weeks ago. His doctor said unless it started bothering him, not to worry. But now it's more often and just about everytime he opens his mouth. It's a double-clicking when he opens and then closes his mouth :(

OP
Meggs19

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
[MENTION=5580]elearn[/MENTION], my vet didn't seem too concerned about it when I mentioned it to him either. He said that dogs can have little TMJ type of issues and jaw cracking the same as humans. I can see why with the way their jaws fit together (underbite etc.). Like you said, it doesn't seem to bother them. I don't think it's cause for concern. I was thinking I might just call another vet for a second opinion, just to put my mind at ease....since I am the world's biggest worry wart. :) If I do call and find anything new I will certainly report back to you! :)

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
So weird I saw this thread. This has started happening to Guinness the past two or three weeks. Never happened before

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
@elearn, my vet didn't seem too concerned about it when I mentioned it to him either. He said that dogs can have little TMJ type of issues and jaw cracking the same as humans. I can see why with the way their jaws fit together (underbite etc.). Like you said, it doesn't seem to bother them. I don't think it's cause for concern. I was thinking I might just call another vet for a second opinion, just to put my mind at ease....since I am the world's biggest worry wart. :) If I do call and find anything new I will certainly report back to you! :)

LOL I want a second opinion too - as a matter of fact I signed in to find out if anyone on EBN knew of a doctor in NJ, but I posted here instead and forgot to ask the question.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online