General Question Bo's Entropion Surgery!!!

bettybulldog

Oct 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
betty
Hi.. I'm new here so excuse me if I do this wrong.. My bulldog betty recently had Entropion surgery.. she was constantly rubbing her eye and tearing etc.. Honestly it ended up to be so easy. I was a nervous wreck like you
she had both cherry eye surgeries at separate times, when she was younger under one year.. she is now 3..
The Dr's don't really consider this a big surgery in there view but to us moms its huges..
Im warning you now.. When Bo comes home.. YUCK its very ugly when they come home,, warning.. blood red and stitches.. My daughter couldnt even look towards her direction.. but you just have to know its
done and will be getting better.. I honestly think the worst part is wearing the Collar.. I had to put a Gel type antibiotic in her eye twice a day and just keep an close watch on it to make sure
the stitches were there and general..
Honestly dont worry as long as you trust your vet Bo' will be so thankful to not have an Itchy watery Eyelash Poking in his eye anymore... Just keep telling yourself that how much relief you are
giving your baby.. :)

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Hi.. I'm new here so excuse me if I do this wrong.. My bulldog betty recently had Entropion surgery.. she was constantly rubbing her eye and tearing etc.. Honestly it ended up to be so easy. I was a nervous wreck like you
she had both cherry eye surgeries at separate times, when she was younger under one year.. she is now 3..
The Dr's don't really consider this a big surgery in there view but to us moms its huges..
Im warning you now.. When Bo comes home.. YUCK its very ugly when they come home,, warning.. blood red and stitches.. My daughter couldnt even look towards her direction.. but you just have to know its
done and will be getting better.. I honestly think the worst part is wearing the Collar.. I had to put a Gel type antibiotic in her eye twice a day and just keep an close watch on it to make sure
the stitches were there and general..
Honestly dont worry as long as you trust your vet Bo' will be so thankful to not have an Itchy watery Eyelash Poking in his eye anymore... Just keep telling yourself that how much relief you are
giving your baby.. :)

Thanks Betty! You definitely did it right. I know you are right in regard to his comfort level and it having to be more comfortable and the fact that the vet doesn't view this as a big deal. Thanks for the insight. I will keep you posted!!

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Thanks Betty! You definitely did it right. I know you are right in regard to his comfort level and it having to be more comfortable and the fact that the vet doesn't view this as a big deal. Thanks for the insight. I will keep you posted!!

Bo is home. The vet said he did great. She had to remove some tissue from the top and lower lid on his left eye. He won't eat or drink though. He has urinated twice and pooped once since we got home at 530pm. He is whining some, well his version of whining... like a low grunt. He doesnt seem to have any problems breathing... no nasal flaring or anything like that. His nose is wet. His eye looks great. They gave us Tramadol and abx drops. They said no tramadol until 9pm though. We did take his cone off since we are home and can watch him, he hasn't even attempted to itch or scratch it once. Anything else I should be doing?? Any tricks to get him to drink some water? photo(21).jpgphoto(22).jpg

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Don't rush him into drinking he might only throw it up. you can give him a couple pieces of ice if you want. I wouldn't hurry him to eat either, he will probably feel better in the morning. Glad you are releaved, I can tell.

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Don't rush him into drinking he might only throw it up. you can give him a couple pieces of ice if you want. I wouldn't hurry him to eat either, he will probably feel better in the morning. Glad you are releaved, I can tell.

So far so good. He got the tramadol at 9 and the grunting/pacing has stopped. He is now asleep in bed snoring with his little pink tongue hanging out. It is absolutely amazing how the redness in his eye is already gone. Maybe its just a fluke, but I am satisfied up until this point! He did end up eating just a few bites of food and drinking some water. Thanks for everyone's support, this morning was tough.

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus

Houston, we have a problem.... So naturally that I am so excited about Bo's brand new eye and have been rejoicing about how great he looks and is healing, I noticed today when I got home from work that he is blinking and wincing in his good eye. He has never had any problems in the past with this eye! The vet assured me that he does not have entropion on this eye. What in the world could it be. I have rinsed his eye with some eye wash and he is still doing it!!! I am so mad, for him and me... can't we ever get a break??!! What do you think?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
check inside the lid for a stray lash or forging object. use saline to flush the good eye . then do a couple drops of lubrication drops , not redness drops, lube drops,

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
'Blink Lubricating Gel' is what we used on HRH. Get it at about any drugstore... i.e. Walgreens.

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] ..... Thanks for the advice. I will try the lube drops. I noticed you specifically said not the redness drops... Are redness drops bad for him? I am assuming they are and luckily I haven't used them on him!!!

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Just an update on Bo.... He went to the vet on Thursday... Vet said he looks great, that his eye is healing well. She did say that he has a small ulcer left on his eye but that it has definitely improved since before the surgery. She did prescribe him doxycycline once a day for 5 or 10 days ( I don't have the bottle in front of me). Brad gave Bo his first dose on an empty stomach (he didn't know any better) and he puked it up. But I gave it to him this am after he ate and he hasn't had any problems. Keeping our fingers and paws crossed for more good luck!!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I've been wondering, thanks for the update. I'm not as happy with Peggy's surgery as I thought I was. She doesn't tear anymore, but has goop in both her eyes. The vet doesn't carry what I want to give her, they keep giving me antibiotic eye creme. not working very well. I flush them too with eye wash, that seems to help. Griz has goop too, it all could be environmental. About her entropian, I just think he took too much lid off, exposing too much eye ball

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
I've been wondering, thanks for the update. I'm not as happy with Peggy's surgery as I thought I was. She doesn't tear anymore, but has goop in both her eyes. The vet doesn't carry what I want to give her, they keep giving me antibiotic eye creme. not working very well. I flush them too with eye wash, that seems to help. Griz has goop too, it all could be environmental. About her entropian, I just think he took too much lid off, exposing too much eye ball

Can you ask your vet for a prescription for the med that you want to give her and then have it filled else where? That's what we do with pretty much everything the vet prescribes bc of their huge mark up on medication. I am really sorry to hear that about him taking off too much lid!! That was one of my biggest concerns too. I asked our vet to make sure she didn't take too much this time around, she promised and said she wouldn't charge us again if she had to go back and remove more. It's definitely still early stages for us, only 13 days post op. We still have goop, but not nearly as much as we used to. His eye seems to be less red as well. So far, I am happy, his stitches are still in, they did the dissolving ones. She said that's normal, I have no idea. Also, is dry eye normal for ebd's? I feel like I have read that alot on here...

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
No advice - but I would think -- as Lisa said -- that a "cone of shame" will work just fine for keeping Bo from wiping his eyes on stuff. An e-collar requires someone to be sitting there with their finger on the button....sharing that kind of nervous energy wouldn't be good for his recovery. Skip the e-collar and get a cone. The blow up ones are light weight...

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Can you ask your vet for a prescription for the med that you want to give her and then have it filled else where? That's what we do with pretty much everything the vet prescribes bc of their huge mark up on medication. I am really sorry to hear that about him taking off too much lid!! That was one of my biggest concerns too. I asked our vet to make sure she didn't take too much this time around, she promised and said she wouldn't charge us again if she had to go back and remove more. It's definitely still early stages for us, only 13 days post op. We still have goop, but not nearly as much as we used to. His eye seems to be less red as well. So far, I am happy, his stitches are still in, they did the dissolving ones. She said that's normal, I have no idea. Also, is dry eye normal for ebd's? I feel like I have read that alot on here...

yeah, dry eye is normal, no cure just daily eye gel/cream/drops :blink:

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online