General Question Bo's Entropion Surgery!!!

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
So my Mr. Bocephus is having his entropion surgery on Monday October 15th in the morning. I am so nervous for my poor buddy, but excited to have his poor little eye feeling/looking better! We will be off on Monday and Tuesday but unfortunately won't be able to take any more time off with our Bo. Since our schedules differ, Brad will be home all day until about 230pm and then I will be home by 530pm. I feel awful about leaving him alone, but it has to be done. I need advice about what is post-op care will be like. I am assuming he will have to wear an e-collar, but he has never had to wear one, so I am not sure what to expect. We do not usually crate him when we are gone. Should he definitely be crated while he is alone? Anything else I should know about? He is going to have his teeth cleaned while he is under. Any advice would help!!! Thanks!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
i have no advice/experience..... best of luck... prayers and positives thoughts for a quick recovery.

[MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION] ... her Duke has this done to his eyes

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I just wanted to say good luck an I sure he won't have to wear it if your home an watching him but I would put it on when no one is home my prayers are with your family

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Good Luck with it. I hope someone that has gone thru this will answer soon. :)

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Praying for a quick recovery! Hugs to you both! I'm sure he will be okay for that short time. Try not to stress I know easier said than done.... Keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wlw9x

May 10, 2011
Gardendale, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Katie
I know exactly how you feel! I found out today that Katie has to have this surgery. We scheduled it for December when she is being boarded while we are on a weekend vacation, and I'm sitting here thinking about how I'll be worried about her the whole time! I pray that everything works out well for the surgery and recovery time for your family!

Wlw9x

May 10, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Katie
Katie is also having a teeth cleaning done at the same time! My vet told me today that she would have to wear the cone after the surgery. That's all I really know about the recovery process though, since she will be staying at the vet for the 4 days following her surgery. I hope you will keep us updated on Bo!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Two days will be a lot of healing time so don't worry :hug:

I have not had this done but I would certainly think a cone would be needed from other eye issues. I also would not leave alone unattended with the abililty to roam free with the cone, you never know it could get caught on something or Bo could get stuck. I would put him in a crate for the recommended healing time at least while you are away. It will take him a couple of days to get used to the cone of shame but they get over it pretty quick. They also make soft cones you can buy at a petstore, you may want to look into one of those.

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
[MENTION=2363]Wlw9x[/MENTION] ... I will definitely keep you posted and let you know all about our experience. I think most vets get that teeth cleaning in whenever the dog has to go under... which I am fine with so I don't have to worry about anesthesia again in the near future. Which at this point is my number one concern, next being whether or not the surgery will alleviate the problems he is having with his eye. I am a nurse (for humans, lol) and feel confident that I can provide good post op eye care, I just tend to lose perspective when it comes to my baby, but Bo's dad will be here to keep me in check, lol. Is your baby having problems with her eye stemming from the entropion? Will she have both eyes done or just one? Bo is just having the one eye done. I don't know what came first though... the entropion or an eye injury to his cornea and the entropion didn't allow it to heal properly. We have been doing serum drops and tobramycin drops for months hoping it would help, but the redness really never goes away and he has lost reflection his eye as well (like when you take a picture of your bully with the camera flash on, one eye in the pic will have the glowing green eye and the other wont, know what I mean?). Our vet says he can definitely see out of that eye though. I am very interested in hearing about your experience leading up to the decision to have the surgery done if you don't mind sharing.

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] ... thank you so much for the advice. I definitely agree with you about crating him when we aren't home with the cone on. Either way he will be wearing one for my peace of mind and thanks again for the insight on the soft cone, I am worried that the hard one will irritate his skin around neck and ears, especially since he isn't used to wearing a collar at home... he's just naked all the time unless we go somewhere he needs to be on a leash and then he wears his harness.

Monday morning is approaching quickly... will post pics!! I am sure I will have more questions..

PS... this post is getting really long.... Has anyone ever used any kind of human eye drop on their dog... not like visine per say.... but maybe eye wash or lubricating drops? Is that safe?

Wlw9x

May 10, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Katie
@Wlw9x ... I will definitely keep you posted and let you know all about our experience. I think most vets get that teeth cleaning in whenever the dog has to go under... which I am fine with so I don't have to worry about anesthesia again in the near future. Which at this point is my number one concern, next being whether or not the surgery will alleviate the problems he is having with his eye. I am a nurse (for humans, lol) and feel confident that I can provide good post op eye care, I just tend to lose perspective when it comes to my baby, but Bo's dad will be here to keep me in check, lol. Is your baby having problems with her eye stemming from the entropion? Will she have both eyes done or just one? Bo is just having the one eye done. I don't know what came first though... the entropion or an eye injury to his cornea and the entropion didn't allow it to heal properly. We have been doing serum drops and tobramycin drops for months hoping it would help, but the redness really never goes away and he has lost reflection his eye as well (like when you take a picture of your bully with the camera flash on, one eye in the pic will have the glowing green eye and the other wont, know what I mean?). Our vet says he can definitely see out of that eye though. I am very interested in hearing about your experience leading up to the decision to have the surgery done if you don't mind sharing.

When we had her boarded a couple of weeks ago, they told my mom who picked her up that I needed to call them about surgery. Katie had an appointment with her usual vet today, so I asked him what he thought. He noticed her lids didn't look like they were supposed to, and her eyes were very cloudy. We have had problems with red looking eyes for over a year now (had drops that were only ever a temporary solution), and I have noticed her eyes getting cloudier lately and she has had more drainage from her eyes. She is 6, so he said sometimes it just comes with age. My decision to go on and have the procedure done mainly comes from the fact that I really trust the vet, and he said if we let it go she may have a lot of trouble with her vision later. :/ I can tell just by looking at her eyes that there is definitely something wrong, and I'm no expert! She had more cloudiness in one eye than the other, but I think we are going to do both.. gonna talk to him again when I take her in to make sure that's the right decision. I am like you though, SUPER nervous about the anesthesia. Thankfully, they are performing the surgery in the morning of the first day I drop her off, so I will still be working that day and not too far away in case of any complications. That gives me a little peace of mind.. I guess.. okay, not really! This will be her first major teeth cleaning in the 1.5 years that we've had her. She does have an infected tooth. As much as I hate to admit it, I'm terrible about getting her into a teeth brushing routine! I will have to improve on that for sure. I hope that all makes sense.. it ended up being a short book. ;)

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
So it definitely sounds like both eyes are affected. Bo has the cloudy look in his bad eye as well. His right eye is perfect (knocking on wood as I type). I know his bad one will never be the same, I just want it to look like it doesn't hurt. Surprisingly enough, he never rubs it or itches it or anything. Here's to hoping we get the results we want!!

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Thanks so much [MENTION=2363]Wlw9x[/MENTION] ! I knew what you meant. Keep you posted!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.