General Question Hot spot. mange? What now ?

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello everyone I took my almost 6 month old puppy to the vet today because he has had a burn looking spot on his forehead for about 3 days. I posted a picture of it and asked here but I guess no one could really tell if it was a hot spot. At the vets office she said she didn't know and thought it might be something he did as in trying to scratch his head to the yeast in his ears and put some type of lotion on it and as well gave me some MORE of this stuff called Posatex @ 45 dollars for a 15 gram bottle in which he has had before I believe and it didn't help but anyways I have to take him back for a recheck in a week and she did mention something about how she HOPED it wasn't mange. Is mange something that is Treatable and easy to cure? I am wondering if anyone has had nay experience with this and what to expect. I swear it is one thing after another with my puppy. Thanks everyone. Hero
10-08-2012 179.jpg

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
[MENTION=5798]Hero4u2b[/MENTION] there are two types of mange (demodex and scarcoptic) - they are both treatable and very, very common. I'm not sure why your vet just "hoped" it wasn't mange, did she do a scrape to test? It doesn't look like demodex mange. But for now, you can check him over really good to see if there are any other similar looking spots. I dont like that she just prescribe Posatex (which I just looked up and its for yeast and bacteria in the ear???) without verifying what it is.

it is possible he just scratched himself or bumped his head on something. Is it scabbing? if its a scratch I highly recommend Vetericyn which you can get from Amazon.com

BullDogGunner

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
Well mange is common in bulldogs I am told; I am battling it right now as we speak, Demodex. My vet did the use goodwinol and it will go away. It didn't, next he tried something experimental, didn't work, next is ivermec and I have to say it doesn't look better. I feel bad for my little guy it's really messed up our plans for going to the show... I think your little one has mange, it's the black part that makes me say that. First it looks like a white ring, then the red and then the black when it's nearing the dried up mess. Most cure themselves, but us over protective types run to the vet every two weeks for scraping...

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Well Dublin has had Demodex Mange and has hot spots. This doesn't look like either to me.. Can't understand why your vet didn't do a scraping especially as she couldnt' give you a definitive answer by looking at it. Dublin had to do two rounds of Ivermectin and it was a long drawn out process and of course with her comprimised immune system I was very worried about the treatment. I trusted my vet. (He's been a bully vet for over 30 years) I have to say that in the long run it was the way to go and today people are so taken by how beautiful her coat is. If it doesn't clear up shortly then ask the vet to do a scraping or find one that will. Good luck.

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
I did forget to mention she said if it wasn't gone or had cleared up by next week ( re-check) that she WAS going to do a scraping. I understand the ivermectin does work but at the same time I do have him on Heartguard plus which I believe has one of the main ingredients of ivamectin in it. Well at least it is treatable. I thought he would loose all his hair and I would be batteling it all his life or something. Thanks Hero

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
No, it's not a lifelong battle. If you only see a few spots, it will clear up in a couple of months (maybe less). If its generalized, meaning all over then it might take a while, but it will go away and the hair will grow back. Ivermectin is a pesticide. The amount your vet will give you is a larger does than whats in Heartguard so it will kill the mites. But your vet might choose a different route of course. This is very common in puppies, and don't forget Buddy has just battled parvo and medications for that and all his vaccinations recently- so if that isn't demodex mange he is doing REALLY REALLY well!!! If it is demodex, then it's understandable why he's got it. But you take excellent care of Buddy (good diet, you watch him like a hawk, etc), so I'm sure he will heal from whatever that is quickly.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online