Help Needed! Hard time walking and getting around

cindi

Oct 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
harley
Hi everyone, I have a 12 year female named Harley. She is in otherwise good health, but is having increased difficulty walking and getting up and down. She has bad arthritis in her front leg and we have tried Rimadyl and Tramadol and she didn't do well on them. Made her very sleepy and sick to her stomach. I don't give her anything now, except the occasional Tramadol alone for pain. When she is not sleeping, which is most of the time, she mostly stands or sits around and pants....I know that is a sign of pain. It breaks my heart. We would appreciate any advice we can get on how to make her more comfortable....anything we can give her that doesn't leave her comatosed?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
:welcome:

So sorry that Harley is suffering right now! Have you been to your vet to find out alternatives to the Rimadyl and Tramadol??

Also, have you ever considered going to a holistic vet? We use one, and she basically integrates the best of western medicine with the best of eastern medicine so that we get the best of both worlds. I have a friend who goes to her for her bouvier which has very bad arthritis. They use herbal treatments, a nutritional supplement and some acupuncture and he's like a different dog.

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
How about acupuncture. I never tried it on any of my furkids but know those who have with success.

Also, not sure if something like Cosequin would help (glucosamine, chondrortin). That can't hurt. Sorry to hear your baby is in pain. no fun getting old.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I dont have any experience with alleviating pain, but if you want to, PM me and I can give you a link to a holistic place that has some herbs for pain in dogs you might want to try. Lots of great testimonials on this product and they are very helpful and communicative about their products.

Also, welcome!!!! So good to see some older bullies!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We did use accupuncture on a Rottie with horrible back problems and it was very successful. There used to be Deramax available, but I understand it's out of production because of problems with the manufacturer. The panting is definitely a sign of her being uncomfortable. I'm sorry but we've always used Tramadol combined with either Rimadyl or the like, with pretty good results. I congratulate you on having a 12 year old Bully. That's pretty amazing and a true testament to your love for her.

Last edited:

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: cosequin is for arthritis to an chondropaw is good for that to I would look both of those up an try them out

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I am so sorry you and Harley are going through this. Im glad you joined us just wished the circumstances were different. The panting is a sign she may be uncomfortable. When you give her the Rimadyl or Tramadol is it on a full stomach?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
What was the med that Sheila used for Butler? Does anyone remember? I think it started with a B?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How about acupuncture. I never tried it on any of my furkids but know those who have with success.

Also, not sure if something like Cosequin would help (glucosamine, chondrortin). That can't hurt. Sorry to hear your baby is in pain. no fun getting old.

Agreed!

Also, due to her age not sure she would be a candidate, but ask your vet about stem cell treatments. We did this with Nitschke due to his arthritis and within weeks of the procedure he was like a puppy again.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.