Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

Unhappy Eyes tearing a lot

I noticed that Isabel eyes are tearing a lot... I have been drying the wrinkle underneath her eyes constantly and they are always super wet. Her eyes seem normal to me and I dont see any sign of an infection. Any idea of what it might be? I am in the process of changing her food to a grain free because she is not doing very well with the Holistic Select Puppy.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Eyes tearing a lot

It may very well be the food you currently have her on. Which food did you choose to transition her on to?? Of course there are also seasonal allergies that she may be experiencing too.

I would stick with the food switch first and see if that helps!!!

Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

I researched Fromm prior to going to Natural Pawz and considered starting her on a grain free diet. The store attendant gave me a bag of NOW FRESH grain free puppy formula for her and also a can of pumpkin to help with the transition.

She said that once Isabel is used to a grain free diet it is easier to switch her to Fromm's recipes. But right now Fromm only offers a puppy formula with grains on it.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Hmm... actually the Fromm 4* range is an all-stages food that is suitable for puppies through to seniors. I've never heard of having to get a bully used to a grain free food.

Also it may not necessarily be the grains that she is not doing well with. It could just be that food. I certainly wouldn't rule out grains at the moment. I would try and find a good food for her to be on, and go grain free if she still isn't doing well.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Sounds like seasonal/environmental allergies to me! Happens to Samson during certain times of the year. May want to try giving her some benedryl and see if it helps.

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

I will keep a close eye on her and will avoid taking her to any park until I figure this out.

Hopefully we will find a food that agrees with her soon...

Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mizinha23 View Post
    I will keep a close eye on her and will avoid taking her to any park until I figure this out.

Hopefully we will find a food that agrees with her soon...
    Good luck! I went through alot of different foods before I found the right one for Samson. Be patient, it can easily take 4-6 weeks for you to know it is the "right food." What may work for one bully won't for another, I know alot of people here love Fromm and with good reason, great company and great food but I tried several different Fromm formulas and Samson did NOT do well at all on any of them. NVI salmon is what I found to be the best for him.

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

and during this process you just keep buying new bags of food until you find the right one? not sure if stores accept returns on dog food but it sounds like I might get stuck with a bunch at home! I still have 2 bags of the Holistic Select that I might not even use it.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mizinha23 View Post
    and during this process you just keep buying new bags of food until you find the right one? not sure if stores accept returns on dog food but it sounds like I might get stuck with a bunch at home! I still have 2 bags of the Holistic Select that I might not even use it.
    Just buy the very small bags ........ and remember that they need about 30 days fully on the new food for the old food to leave their system and for you to truly know if the new food is agreeing with them or not!!

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

@mizinha23 Have you considered a raw diet? They are great because you know exactly what is going into them. Easier to pinpoint allergies. Plus most of us on this forum who feed raw have had tremendous success!

Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

I havent got to the point of considering the raw diet yet... but it does sounds like the best approach to keep your bullie healthy.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kazzy220 View Post
    remember that they need about 30 days fully on the new food for the old food to leave their system and for you to truly know if the new food is agreeing with them or not!!
    Exactly! So no during that process I did not have any leftovers because I waited that month, so for us that is an entire bag, before I could make the decision if the food was right for Samson or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads