Help Needed! Eyes tearing a lot

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I noticed that Isabel eyes are tearing a lot... I have been drying the wrinkle underneath her eyes constantly and they are always super wet. Her eyes seem normal to me and I dont see any sign of an infection. Any idea of what it might be? I am in the process of changing her food to a grain free because she is not doing very well with the Holistic Select Puppy.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
It may very well be the food you currently have her on. Which food did you choose to transition her on to?? Of course there are also seasonal allergies that she may be experiencing too.

I would stick with the food switch first and see if that helps!!!

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I researched Fromm prior to going to Natural Pawz and considered starting her on a grain free diet. The store attendant gave me a bag of NOW FRESH grain free puppy formula for her and also a can of pumpkin to help with the transition.

She said that once Isabel is used to a grain free diet it is easier to switch her to Fromm's recipes. But right now Fromm only offers a puppy formula with grains on it.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hmm... actually the Fromm 4* range is an all-stages food that is suitable for puppies through to seniors. I've never heard of having to get a bully used to a grain free food.

Also it may not necessarily be the grains that she is not doing well with. It could just be that food. I certainly wouldn't rule out grains at the moment. I would try and find a good food for her to be on, and go grain free if she still isn't doing well.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Sounds like seasonal/environmental allergies to me! Happens to Samson during certain times of the year. May want to try giving her some benedryl and see if it helps.

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I will keep a close eye on her and will avoid taking her to any park until I figure this out.

Hopefully we will find a food that agrees with her soon...

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I will keep a close eye on her and will avoid taking her to any park until I figure this out.

Hopefully we will find a food that agrees with her soon...

Good luck! I went through alot of different foods before I found the right one for Samson. Be patient, it can easily take 4-6 weeks for you to know it is the "right food." What may work for one bully won't for another, I know alot of people here love Fromm and with good reason, great company and great food but I tried several different Fromm formulas and Samson did NOT do well at all on any of them. NVI salmon is what I found to be the best for him.

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
and during this process you just keep buying new bags of food until you find the right one? not sure if stores accept returns on dog food but it sounds like I might get stuck with a bunch at home! I still have 2 bags of the Holistic Select that I might not even use it.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
and during this process you just keep buying new bags of food until you find the right one? not sure if stores accept returns on dog food but it sounds like I might get stuck with a bunch at home! I still have 2 bags of the Holistic Select that I might not even use it.

Just buy the very small bags ........ and remember that they need about 30 days fully on the new food for the old food to leave their system and for you to truly know if the new food is agreeing with them or not!!

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
[MENTION=6190]mizinha23[/MENTION] Have you considered a raw diet? They are great because you know exactly what is going into them. Easier to pinpoint allergies. Plus most of us on this forum who feed raw have had tremendous success!

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I havent got to the point of considering the raw diet yet... but it does sounds like the best approach to keep your bullie healthy.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
remember that they need about 30 days fully on the new food for the old food to leave their system and for you to truly know if the new food is agreeing with them or not!!

Exactly! So no during that process I did not have any leftovers because I waited that month, so for us that is an entire bag, before I could make the decision if the food was right for Samson or not.

wendykerr

Jun 3, 2012
Cibolo, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Larry aka Lawrence Tiberius
Larry had this... took him to the vet and he had eye lashes that few growing towards his eyes, irritating them and making them water. She gets a light with a magnafier and pulls them out. No more problems - until more grow in bad.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Hi there. Wilson had horrible water eyes up until he was about 1.3 year of age. He's 1.9 years now. I have had him allergy tested so I know at least it wasn't the food he was on. For him I always suspected he had enviromental allergies. He's pretty much dried up now and has been for a bit now. Nothing much has changed really. Now I'm struggling with Emma. She's worse than he was and has a white face to boot. She on on Earthborn Hoslitic Coastal Catch. I'm not sure if it's enviromental or not. This was probably not much help but wanted you to know you're not alone. :)

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Got it thanks, I actually had to call her vet because she was having very soft to liquid stool for the past two days and her vet recommended that I gave her the I/D Gastro food until she stabilizes. Once she's back to normal then I can start the transition with the new food.

I am also giving her the pumpkin puree mixed with the food to help... The cutest thing was seeing her this morning with a orange nose after she ate! I guess her tongue doesn't reach her nose so she had orange lips and orange nose from the pumpkim!!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online