General Question Bald spot beneath ears

redhed

Jun 22, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sancho
I posted this in another thread, but rather than high-jack that one, I'll post my own :)

Sancho has had a small bald patch under one ear since we got him. The friend we got him from, who is a vet tech, had it scraped and said it was negative for demodex, but not sure if it was scraped for the other kind of mange. Since he was a rescue, they would likely test for both, right?
He has been seen by our vet twice since July (once for a check-up, the other for a mild eye issue after he swung his toy and smacked himself in the face :rolleyes:), and he did not comment other than "keep an eye on it," since his records said it was scraped and negative.

He now has a bald patch under his other ear, too. This one appeared a week or so ago after he stayed with the same friend for 5 days while we were out of town. After reading the other thread, I'm wondering if his immune system was down, since he was stressed being in a different environment and it could be mange. Oooor, it could be just allergies getting a little worse after the stressful situation, too?!

The bald spots are just perfectly smooth pink skin...no spots or anything from what I can see. I'll see if I can get a good picture tonight.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Dublin has had both Demodex and hot spots and neither are just "smooth pink skin" Yes, if you take photos that might help. If not, I would take him back to the vet just to have it checked out. Dublin gets awfully stressed if we leave her with anyone, but her response is to chew her paws and that is nasty. When they do a scrape they should be able to see any mites regardless of either mange. So there must have been no mites present so that is good.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
You may be right about the stress, and if it's perfectly pink skin, not irritated, it may be just that. Hair is thin under the ears to begin with. I know you'll keep and eye on it, would like to see those pictures, I'll be watching for them.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'd like to see pics too before I comment ........ :yes:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.