Other 911 vet visit insect bite

Tankmommy

Oct 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
TANK
Ok so last night was crazy after letting our 7 month bully Tank outside to do his business before bed as usual he apparently was either bitten by an insect or a spider . After putting him in his kennel he started barking a lot which is unusual when its bed time. Upon letting him out to see what was wrong his face had swollen up double its size and he had hives all over his legs and tummy. Poor thing looked like he had been in a boxing match and lost. We had to google a 24 hr vet and rush him there. He ended up staying the night hooked up to an iv.... Just brought him home he is still a little puffy but looks much better. What a scare! + a nice $500 bill :/

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
That has happened to Bella twice. We still don't know what has bit her. Did the also put Tank on any steriods? Watch is closely, the bit will eventually come to a head and can get infected.

OP
T

Tankmommy

Oct 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
TANK
No steroids and still wondering where he might have been bitten there's no head but I will definitely be on the lookout for one. He seems exhausted... Drank 2 bowls of water and knocked out zZZzz

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
No steroids and still wondering where he might have been bitten there's no head but I will definitely be on the lookout for one. He seems exhausted... Drank 2 bowls of water and knocked out zZZzz

Poor Mr. Tank... Surprised he wasn't put on steroids. Dublin had a major reaction like that and we don't know what it was from but she looked so bad. As much as i dislike the over use of steroids they worked great in this instance. If the swelling continues to go down and the hives go away then he is okay. Did he at least tell you to give him Benedryl???

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
holy cow! What region do you live? That must have been quite a scare. How is Tank holding up?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Good thing he barked at you to let you know something was wrong. Glad you were able to get him to a clinic and he is doing better. Scary stuff, and the bad part is you may never know what bit him. Benedryl is good to keep around just in case it happens again, you can give it to him right away. Hope he is feeling better today.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ok so last night was crazy after letting our 7 month bully Tank outside to do his business before bed as usual he apparently was either bitten by an insect or a spider . After putting him in his kennel he started barking a lot which is unusual when its bed time. Upon letting him out to see what was wrong his face had swollen up double its size and he had hives all over his legs and tummy. Poor thing looked like he had been in a boxing match and lost. We had to google a 24 hr vet and rush him there. He ended up staying the night hooked up to an iv.... Just brought him home he is still a little puffy but looks much better. What a scare! + a nice $500 bill :/

Unfortunately, I can fully relate.... so scary!! This happen to Banks twice and both times her face was as you said double, maybe bigger in size... so scary.

Hope you boy is doing better

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.