Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone supplement with coconut oil?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Penelope Lue (Penny)
    Likes (Received)

Default Anyone supplement with coconut oil?

We were at the vet yesterday for Penny broken out in hives & told it is fall allergies. This happened in May at the height of Spring allergies, as well. We have antihistamines to get us through the next few weeks & then hopefully everything will freeze! While sitting at the vet yesterday, I started thinking about coconut oil & if it's good for dogs. It's has amazing benefits for people & I use it as a moisturizer and make-up remover as well is ingest it.

Anyway, a preliminary search shows promising results. Here are a few of the things I'm coming up with...It has benefits for skin, digestion, & immune system. Some common bully ailments it seems to work on:

• Clears up skin conditions such as eczema, flea allergies, contact dermatitis,and itchy skin
    • Reduces allergic reactions and improves skin health
    • Makes coats become sleek and glossy, and deodorizes doggy odor
    • Prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections, including candida
    • Contains powerful antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal agents that prevent infection and disease
    • Helps reduce weight, increases energy
    • Reduces or eliminates bad breath in dogs

Has anyone tried coconut oil vs. salmon oil & had good results? I'm seriously thinking about trying this with Penny! I definitely love coconut oil for use myself & it's something I'm already buying anyway.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Anyone supplement with coconut oil?

I think it's a great product. I used it for a time with my bunch, they were to have two tablespoons each a day. I found it rather expensive for 5 dogs. But I just may have to reconcider since I did like the results. Unless it's kept warm, it's like a white wax. And I must say, smell wonderful
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Bully lovin' movie buff Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

I use it with Lola and love it! She acts like she is starved and chows down really fast so she must like it to!

Bully lovin' gypsy Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Herman gets about 3 tsp of coconut oil a day - he loves it. It's very healthy for them.. But keep in mind, it has calories - I think maybe 130 calories per tablespoon. So that can add up really quickly.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I haven't tried it but I do love the Salmon oil. Maybe one day I will, because everybody says how wonderful it is and the smell of coconut is gorgeous!!!!!

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

I've used the salmon oil for a while now and love how their coats look, soft and shiney. Emma seems to have a sensitive stomach to the salmon oil and I've been noticing that she seems to throw up in the middle of the night on the evenings that she's had it with her food. I recently swapped over to the extra virgin coconut oil and they love it. I didn't notice any change in their coats and they were adapting to it well. I went back to the salmon oil this past week because I had some left that I wanted to finish using and Emma threw up this morning about 5am. I'm swapping back to the coconut oil. It also smells so nice.

Oh you can pop your popcorn in it too if you have a popcorn popper.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

I give duchess salmon oil and coconut oil in her food on alternating days in addition to being on a raw diet. Her fur feels like silk! I don't have to bathe but once every 3-4 weeks. Could prob go longer because she has no dingy looking fur, has no smells what so ever. I just think 3-4 weeks is long enough in between bathing. I use grizzly salmon oil which Is about $12 for 8oz bottle and cocotherapy coconut oil which is about $13 for 8oz jar. When first introducing coconut oil it is possible to possibly get softer stool, maybe even loose due to the detoxifying properties that coconut oil has. Duchess is 6.5 months and 40lbs and I use one good pump of salmon oil and 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil, like I said on alternating days, so they last for awhile. She hasnt really had any crazy allergies and she just had a minor yeast iiritation in her folds that i am treating with monistat7. I will be upping the coconut oil and apple cider vinnegar in her food after the yeast irritation clears up. Hope this helps! Let us know if decide to try either and what improvements you see!

Quote Originally Posted by MissPennyLue View Post
    We were at the vet yesterday for Penny broken out in hives & told it is fall allergies. This happened in May at the height of Spring allergies, as well. We have antihistamines to get us through the next few weeks & then hopefully everything will freeze! While sitting at the vet yesterday, I started thinking about coconut oil & if it's good for dogs. It's has amazing benefits for people & I use it as a moisturizer and make-up remover as well is ingest it.

Anyway, a preliminary search shows promising results. Here are a few of the things I'm coming up with...It has benefits for skin, digestion, & immune system. Some common bully ailments it seems to work on:
    • Clears up skin conditions such as eczema, flea allergies, contact dermatitis,and itchy skin
    • Reduces allergic reactions and improves skin health
    • Makes coats become sleek and glossy, and deodorizes doggy odor
    • Prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections, including candida
    • Contains powerful antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal agents that prevent infection and disease
    • Helps reduce weight, increases energy
    • Reduces or eliminates bad breath in dogs
    Has anyone tried coconut oil vs. salmon oil & had good results? I'm seriously thinking about trying this with Penny! I definitely love coconut oil for use myself & it's something I'm already buying anyway.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieCO View Post

Oh you can pop your popcorn in it too if you have a popcorn popper.
    Good tip! I use it in my rice in the rice cooker for a carribean flair LOL

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I haven't, I use salmon oil for Samson and always have because it does really help control his allergy issues.

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by elearn View Post
    Good tip! I use it in my rice in the rice cooker for a carribean flair LOL
    We have a friend that joins the group at the lake and he brings an old fashion popcorn popper, the kind you shake back and forth over the fire. He's the one that turned me on to using the coconut oil....he said it's the secret oil that makes the movie theatre popcorn taste so yummy. I gotta agree, I tried it at home and it was so much better than canola oil.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieCO View Post
    We have a friend that joins the group at the lake and he brings an old fashion popcorn popper, the kind you shake back and forth over the fire. He's the one that turned me on to using the coconut oil....he said it's the secret oil that makes the movie theatre popcorn taste so yummy. I gotta agree, I tried it at home and it was so much better than canola oil.

THAT's the secret?? Wow thanks for sharing, I'm going to try it soon with one of the old poppers

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by elearn View Post
    THAT's the secret?? Wow thanks for sharing, I'm going to try it soon with one of the old poppers
    It had an entirely different (better) taste.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads