General Question Anyone supplement with coconut oil?

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
We were at the vet yesterday for Penny broken out in hives & told it is fall allergies. This happened in May at the height of Spring allergies, as well. We have antihistamines to get us through the next few weeks & then hopefully everything will freeze! While sitting at the vet yesterday, I started thinking about coconut oil & if it's good for dogs. It's has amazing benefits for people & I use it as a moisturizer and make-up remover as well is ingest it.

Anyway, a preliminary search shows promising results. Here are a few of the things I'm coming up with...It has benefits for skin, digestion, & immune system. Some common bully ailments it seems to work on:

• Clears up skin conditions such as eczema, flea allergies, contact dermatitis,and itchy skin
  • Reduces allergic reactions and improves skin health
  • Makes coats become sleek and glossy, and deodorizes doggy odor
  • Prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections, including candida
  • Contains powerful antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal agents that prevent infection and disease
  • Helps reduce weight, increases energy
  • Reduces or eliminates bad breath in dogs
Has anyone tried coconut oil vs. salmon oil & had good results? I'm seriously thinking about trying this with Penny! I definitely love coconut oil for use myself & it's something I'm already buying anyway.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I think it's a great product. I used it for a time with my bunch, they were to have two tablespoons each a day. I found it rather expensive for 5 dogs. But I just may have to reconcider since I did like the results. Unless it's kept warm, it's like a white wax. And I must say, smell wonderful

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I use it with Lola and love it! She acts like she is starved and chows down really fast so she must like it to!

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Herman gets about 3 tsp of coconut oil a day - he loves it. It's very healthy for them.. But keep in mind, it has calories - I think maybe 130 calories per tablespoon. So that can add up really quickly.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I haven't tried it but I do love the Salmon oil. Maybe one day I will, because everybody says how wonderful it is and the smell of coconut is gorgeous!!!!! :yes:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I've used the salmon oil for a while now and love how their coats look, soft and shiney. Emma seems to have a sensitive stomach to the salmon oil and I've been noticing that she seems to throw up in the middle of the night on the evenings that she's had it with her food. I recently swapped over to the extra virgin coconut oil and they love it. I didn't notice any change in their coats and they were adapting to it well. I went back to the salmon oil this past week because I had some left that I wanted to finish using and Emma threw up this morning about 5am. I'm swapping back to the coconut oil. It also smells so nice.

Oh you can pop your popcorn in it too if you have a popcorn popper. :up:

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I give duchess salmon oil and coconut oil in her food on alternating days in addition to being on a raw diet. Her fur feels like silk! I don't have to bathe but once every 3-4 weeks. Could prob go longer because she has no dingy looking fur, has no smells what so ever. I just think 3-4 weeks is long enough in between bathing. I use grizzly salmon oil which Is about $12 for 8oz bottle and cocotherapy coconut oil which is about $13 for 8oz jar. When first introducing coconut oil it is possible to possibly get softer stool, maybe even loose due to the detoxifying properties that coconut oil has. Duchess is 6.5 months and 40lbs and I use one good pump of salmon oil and 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil, like I said on alternating days, so they last for awhile. She hasnt really had any crazy allergies and she just had a minor yeast iiritation in her folds that i am treating with monistat7. I will be upping the coconut oil and apple cider vinnegar in her food after the yeast irritation clears up. Hope this helps! Let us know if decide to try either and what improvements you see!

We were at the vet yesterday for Penny broken out in hives & told it is fall allergies. This happened in May at the height of Spring allergies, as well. We have antihistamines to get us through the next few weeks & then hopefully everything will freeze! While sitting at the vet yesterday, I started thinking about coconut oil & if it's good for dogs. It's has amazing benefits for people & I use it as a moisturizer and make-up remover as well is ingest it.

Anyway, a preliminary search shows promising results. Here are a few of the things I'm coming up with...It has benefits for skin, digestion, & immune system. Some common bully ailments it seems to work on:
  • Clears up skin conditions such as eczema, flea allergies, contact dermatitis,and itchy skin
  • Reduces allergic reactions and improves skin health
  • Makes coats become sleek and glossy, and deodorizes doggy odor
  • Prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections, including candida
  • Contains powerful antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal agents that prevent infection and disease
  • Helps reduce weight, increases energy
  • Reduces or eliminates bad breath in dogs
Has anyone tried coconut oil vs. salmon oil & had good results? I'm seriously thinking about trying this with Penny! I definitely love coconut oil for use myself & it's something I'm already buying anyway.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Good tip! I use it in my rice in the rice cooker for a carribean flair LOL
We have a friend that joins the group at the lake and he brings an old fashion popcorn popper, the kind you shake back and forth over the fire. He's the one that turned me on to using the coconut oil....he said it's the secret oil that makes the movie theatre popcorn taste so yummy. I gotta agree, I tried it at home and it was so much better than canola oil.

:droolers:

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
We have a friend that joins the group at the lake and he brings an old fashion popcorn popper, the kind you shake back and forth over the fire. He's the one that turned me on to using the coconut oil....he said it's the secret oil that makes the movie theatre popcorn taste so yummy. I gotta agree, I tried it at home and it was so much better than canola oil.

:droolers:

THAT's the secret?? Wow thanks for sharing, I'm going to try it soon with one of the old poppers :)

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
GATOR, (HOPE RIP) & Spot the Aussie/mix
Coconut oil is an awesome multi purpose use!!! My mom uses it on anythinh and everything, even when my kids have ear infections it helps clear it up and the chaffed noses during colds heals them pretty quick! I haven't used it on the dogs yet but I just bought a bottle at work! Plan on starting this weekend except for Hope it didn't say if it was good for pregnant dogs.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.