Help Needed! Clear nasal drainage and eye goop... Why?

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
So duchess has been having clear nasal drainage on occasion and also has been waking up with clear eye goop in the mornings. Im guessing these are seasonal allergies? Should I give her bendadryl? Or should I just wait until it really bothers her? Do the over the counter allergy medicines make them drowsy? If I do giive her benadryl what frequency and amount?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Clear eye discharge is somewhat normal if its just there a couple times at day. Even you and I wake up with some sort of eye stuff. If its green or yellow there's infection. Clear water from the nose isn't a bad thing either, if it's thick , that's a problem. If sneezing , coughing, rattle in chest is also apparent, I would call the vet. If you suspect something is wrong, call the vet just to ask them for an opinion.
If these things you mention aren't familiar to you, then try the Benedryl pink tabs 25 mg per 25 lb.

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] thanks for the quick response. The clear goop in her eyes is usually only first thing in the morning or after a long nap. The nasal discharge is usually when she hangs her head off the couch, which she loves to do, lol. The nasal discharge is clear and she isn't coughing sneezing or any of that. I am familiar with that because she had 2 upper respiratory infections when she was younger. I'm just being curious, cautious, and over protective! Lol

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION], nothing to be concerned with as long as it's watery and clear.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Clear eye discharge is somewhat normal if its just there a couple times at day. Even you and I wake up with some sort of eye stuff. If its green or yellow there's infection. Clear water from the nose isn't a bad thing either, if it's thick , that's a problem. If sneezing , coughing, rattle in chest is also apparent, I would call the vet. If you suspect something is wrong, call the vet just to ask them for an opinion.
If these things you mention aren't familiar to you, then try the Benedryl pink tabs 25 mg per 25 lb.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what Sherry said!! :2thumbs:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Yup. My boys get those on occasion, especially when it gets cold. Nothing to be worried about if its clear.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.