URGENT!!! Bad smell

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yes greenies are no good for bullies, big choking hazard I have heard as well. Just keep a close eye if you do feed them. [MENTION=5481]pinkerbell81[/MENTION] fromm is a wonderful food but it sounds like you have allergies. Could be food related or seasonal as well. Is there something new in the diet or have you been using this fromm for a long while? Might wanna try a diff flavor fromm the nest time you buy, you can switch within the same type of food with no worries about transitioning so no worries there.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
How strange; I noticed this on my own pup yesterday; I thought he was eating his own poop or something!! Will take these suggestions as well ; thanks.

If you think he is eating his own poop add a little canned pumpkin to his food and that will put an end to that. Bacon ate his when we switched him to TOTW and we had to add pumpkin to get him to stop, plus it's good for them and they love it.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
One thing I've noticed is someone is always against something I'm using for my Remi. It's hard to figure out what is really okay and what is the product of an overprotective bully mother :)

Example: When I was a kid I choked on a chicken skin. Obviously that doesn't mean chicken is unsafe forever.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
One thing I've noticed is someone is always against something I'm using for my Remi. It's hard to figure out what is really okay and what is the product of an overprotective bully mother :)

Example: When I was a kid I choked on a chicken skin. Obviously that doesn't mean chicken is unsafe forever.

Awww sweetie, don't feel bad.... We learn from each other! The main reason greenies are a choking hazard is due to their small size. They are okay for young pups, but if the greenie is as big as their mouth it isn't anymore.

The reason most of these things are unsafe for bulldogs is because they are greedy with food and try to swallow them whole. Other breeds also have different teeth. Same issue with toys, no small toys or ones that can be broken.

We just want to save you from a $2000 obstruction surgery is all :)

My main issue with greenies however has to do with what they are made out of.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Awww sweetie, don't feel bad.... We learn from each other! The main reason greenies are a choking hazard is due to their small size. They are okay for young pups, but if the greenie is as big as their mouth it isn't anymore.

The reason most of these things are unsafe for bulldogs is because they are greedy with food and try to swallow them whole. Other breeds also have different teeth. Same issue with toys, no small toys or ones that can be broken.

We just want to save you from a $2000 obstruction surgery is all :)

My main issue with greenies however has to do with what they are made out of.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

I know, girlfriend! All you bully moms and dads are looking out for us.

ham3381

Jul 7, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
PetFlow.com offers Fromm if not available in your area. They ship very fast and its not pricey IMO

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Hi all I just wondered if anybody else has ever noticed a stinky dog smell on there pups face I clean her wrinkles and face daily, and her ears but at times her face just stinks and she's clean, Amy suggestions on why this may be or anybody else noticing this she's 5 months old. Thank u!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My vet told me to put Vaseline/baby oil in Tilly's wrinkles after cleaning to prevent moisture. Are you doing that? If not, that may be the reason.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
My vet told me to put Vaseline/baby oil in Tilly's wrinkles after cleaning to prevent moisture. Are you doing that? If not, that may be the reason.

I would think that vaseline/baby oil would add more moisture or am I wrong? I put vaseline on Izzy's little nose to keep it from cracking.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=5120]Bellababy1[/MENTION]

If your bully is smelling it is usually an issue with the food. Go to the food ratings and look at the 5* and 6* foods.
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content.php?r=219-Dog-Food-Ratings

At the moment you are feeding a 2* food. Don't worry about grain free just yet, the first thing is to try one of the higher grade foods and get that done first.

Transition them off the old food slowly. Increase the amount of the new food every 3 days or so as you slowly reduce the old food. If the poop gets a little soft then you could be transitioning too fast, so back off a bit.

Remember, that once the transition is finished and your bully is on the new food that it is going to take approx 30 days for you to really see/smell any difference.

If you choose a food that is not in your area then there is PetFlow .... they are wonderful and are often cheaper than a store!!

If you have ANY questions at all ... fire away!! We are all here to help each other!! :up:

Last edited:

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I would think that vaseline/baby oil would add more moisture or am I wrong? I put vaseline on Izzy's little nose to keep it from cracking.

The oil from both actually repels water, which is what causes the issue. The moisture from the oil won't cause fungus or anything like water does! Izzy is probably too young to have very deep wrinkles, but it's something you should consider doing! I just apply it after I clean the wrinkles. And yes, I put the Vaseline on her little nose too!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
The best place to go for information is under the food ratings ,thread on this site, it helped me a lot. Some of the best choices for foods that are listed there are Fromms Beef Fritata, I switched my 2 to that brand, and they are doing really well now. Other foods are Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Go Natural, Avoderm, and Orijen. You can also ask Cowsmom, or Desertskybulldogs , as they have a lot of experience and knowledge regarding nutrition for Bulldogs, they helped me a lot. It sometimes takes a few switches, I switched 4 times before we found a food they both tolerated, but we finally did

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I agree that switching to a higher quality, grain free food is a good place to start. It might not be the food, though. Environmental allergies can also cause eye watering, nose boogers etc. that cause moisture in the wrinkles and a smell. I have Tonka on Fromm-beef fritatta and he gets a sour/musty smell in his wrinkles on and off too simply from the moisture in them due to his bad environmental allergies. Just another factor to consider.

Kassie

May 15, 2012
Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus McGee
def. check the food...even treats. We had this issue and stopped the brand of treats, and the smell stopped ;)

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
We've experienced the same problem with our pup! His face is stiiiiinky! He's on Fromm Beef Frittata which from what I've read is really good (and grain free). His eyes water every day so everyday I wipe them down. Could it be the Fromm??

Every bully is different. Fromm Beef Frittata is what we feed HRH and got her to stop being stinky. But it's possible Chancho is allergic to something in it and you'll have to find something else. Check out the variety of foods available on the home page in the food ratings article and try to choose something in the 4 Star or better range.
An allergy panel might be in order to find out what he's allergic too as well, but since he looks like a puppy, you might have to wait until he's older to get that done.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.