Help Needed! Hot spot question

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello everyone. I think my almost 6 month old ebd puppy has a hot spot. I havn't taken a picture of it yet but it is right on top of his head and looks like a little burn mark or something. I understand these are common with the breed? Are there any cause's that may help prevent them or anything I can do to alleviate it? med''s ect.? Thanks Hero

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
If it IS a hot spot then it's usually an allergy, and often to food. We really need to see a photo of it first though before anybody can really give you any advice!!

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Dublin only got hot spots a short while ago. She has terrible allergies so I'm surprised she didn't get them sooner. She had two. The vet said the first thing to do is to shave the area and this helps them to keep dry. He prescribed Gentamicin (Betagen) Spray and it worked great. All cleared up within a week. She takes as much Benedryl as she can to keep her allergies at bay. We had a great few weeks where she was super and the last week has been horrible again. I took her to the vet as it was the first time she had them and like you wasnt' sure what they really were. That's my experience anyway...Good luck. Can you take an pic and post it here??/

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Yes I will take a picture. I tried but it is inside his wrinkles and kind of hard to get to. I will have someone hold him. Thanks Hero

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Hello everyone. I think my almost 6 month old ebd puppy has a hot spot. I havn't taken a picture of it yet but it is right on top of his head and looks like a little burn mark or something. I understand these are common with the breed? Are there any cause's that may help prevent them or anything I can do to alleviate it? med''s ect.? Thanks Hero

You might want to try some Vetericyn, it works very well - and is good for hotspots! I put them on cuts, anything red and it heals very quickly. It doesn't hurt and it doesnt have a smell.

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Ok I took a photo.. Does this look like a hot spot? It looks like a burn mark but when I feel it - it feels deeper that just surface. Hope you guys can see it. Thanks
10-08-2012 179.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Does not really look like a hot spot.... They are really red a more swollen, and are a moist dermatitis so it would feel and look gooey. This could be many things, does it itch or seem bothered when it is touched? Molly has one now from itching the top of her head. When I touched it she flinched. I cleaned hers with malacetic and put a dab of antibiotic ointment on it and she is better already, I think she scratched her head with her rear paw to catch an itch until she broke skin. We have a large amount of misquotes this year so I bet she got a bite :(

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
I don't think he is trying to scratch it. It just appeared today. He seems to itch everywhere else thou. I also started cleaning his ears with Malacetic ultra but was told not to use it everyday. It seems to bother him. He dives his head into his toy box every time I use it in his ears. I ordered the regular Malacetic octic today from online. I will put a dab of malacetic on it and see if it helps at all. Thanks Hero

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.