Help Needed! Barfing bulldog

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Summary - Remi is 13 weeks. We've had him for a week and overall, his progress has been pretty amazing. And so has been all your help.

Yet another question... Last night Remi just kind of randomly threw up. It wasn't all liquidy, but mostly just chunks. I THINK he is gagging himself with one of his bones. Has anyone ever heard of this or had a similar experience?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
What kind of bones are you talking about? Not real ones I hope. Could just be overeating or eating too fast.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Summary - Remi is 13 weeks. We've had him for a week and overall, his progress has been pretty amazing. And so has been all your help.

Yet another question... Last night Remi just kind of randomly threw up. It wasn't all liquidy, but mostly just chunks. I THINK he is gagging himself with one of his bones. Has anyone ever heard of this or had a similar experience?

A toy bone? Could be. Just keep an eye out for more throwing up. If it is just once probably so, but if it continues I would take him to the vet. Be sure not to let him have anything that can fit in his mouth-- they swallow large objects-- everything should be way bigger than their mouth. Lots of bullies having obstruction surgeries lately so I cannot express the importance of this!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Yes, Herman has spontaneously vomitted before - once after eating my chair :cursing: and a couple of times just randomly - it was chunky too. I think something must have disagreed with his tummy, so I just kept a close eye on him and he was fine. Maybe just stick to food right now and no treats and watch him to make sure it doesnt happen again.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'd be concerned he swallowed something. And if he's chewing on something (toy bone) and it comes apart enough to make him sick..I'd toss it. And NO rawhides at all!! :eek:

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
It's actually a bully stick

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Bully sticks are not a good idea for bulldogs. They get slimy and can become easily lodged in their throats and cause choking. My guy had one ONCE, will never do that again, although he can smell them when we walking past at our local dog store and he wants them so badly. He also gagged, threw up and had an anxiety attack and just laid there. I thought I was going to have to do doggie CPR. He was fine almost immediately, but not worth the risk and I was literally sitting right there watching him with it. If you want to get your pup a much safer object to chew on, get nylabones or raw beef marrow bones - much safer :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
as David mentioned in another thread bully sticks can be very dangerous. I know many eat them and are ok BUT many have problems with them. Never unsupervised either. I like giving deer antler as a good chew for the pups.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I think you found the problem, it's more than likely the bully stick. Throw them out. Plus no raw hides, pig ears, or cow hooves.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Yup I agree it's probably the bully stick! I mentioned on the other thread our pitbull has chocked on them! I don't use those any longer. I would keep an eye and if its the same I would take a trip to the vet. Keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Ah, all is beginning to make sense.

I think I know what happened. Puppy chews on the end, it gets really gross and nasty, so he tries to move "up" the bully stick, which pushes it back into his throat. What I've done is cut off the "gross" part so he can continue to enjoy.

I will probably supervise him and let him finish this bully, trim off the bad parts, but then I'm going to move on to something else.

Any recommendations?? You guys have eliminated pretty much all of the "bone" style toys I knew of! No pig ears?? omg!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
honestly in a pup that young and that has already choked possibly on it once i think id either get rid of it or put it up till he is much older. maybe try a puppy nylabone or a small deer antler. could try a non stuffed toy that they are making now.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.