General Question Curiosity about general health issues & pedigree research

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
So I'm curious about health issues that people experience with their bullys. When I was looking for duchess every breeder I spoke with claimed that all their breeding stock was 100% healthy with no issues ever. Obviously this isn't the case or so many bullies wouldn't end up in rescues because their owner couldn't afford the health expenses. But I when I decided on my girl I did extensive research on her pedigree and tried to research as many of the dogs as far back as I could and tried contacting their breeder/owner to become aware of any issues. This was very hard but I did get through to more than I expected! So I'm curious if those of you that have had health issues, not allergies, but true health issues such as, elongated palate, luxating patellas, loose hips, etc. Do most people research pedigrees before purchasing a puppy? If you researched your bully's pedigree has his/her health been consistent with what you expected based on pedigree research? If no research was done on pedigree prior to purchasing has his/her health been good or poor? Duchess is champion sired with multiple champions from both sides throughout her pedigree. She Is now 6.5months and has been very healthy with the exception of 2 uti & 2 uri, obviously these arent congenital and expected with a puppy. Looking forward to some responses.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
We did not research Princess Gracie's pedigree. I'm not completely sure how one would go about that. HRH has always (knock on wood) been healthy.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I researched my Dolly before purchase and also researched the sire before i bred. Everyone was health guaranteed and health certified , you bring up a good point. And thank goodness, like you we have good health, baring minor seasonal allergies.

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
I didn't research the pedigree of my puppy. I did speak with someone who had bought 2 puppys from the breeder as well as a woman who was an ACK inspector in Missouri. I was very concerned with the health issues of bulldogs and finally called a local vet who told me to get health insurance. I did and my puppy is almost 6 months old and was diagnosed with parvo about a month and a half after he arrived. He was vaccanated 5 times for parvo as well as lepto and kennel cough I think it is called the 5 way. and even rabies at 4 months and still got it. I live in a condo and many people here have dogs. most are rescues. He also has some either skin or allergy issues.. If I had to do it again. I might have spent more time researching breeders and maybe even spent more $. Not sure.. I do know thou that I love my puppy and he is quite a character and very lovable.

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
I did as much research as I could and when I took Gunny to the vet the first time, I fully expected something. Vet said looks good, palate is a bit elongated. I expected it to be a bit of a crap shoot and was happy with the results. :)

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
GATOR, (HOPE RIP) & Spot the Aussie/mix
We didn't research either on Gator but so far so good, besides his penis that flipped out surgery previously before we got him. Otherwise "knock on wood" he's been pretty healthy but he's 1.5yrs old

Members online

No members online now.