Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UTI? Blood and tiny gray "balls" in urine... help!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default UTI? Blood and tiny gray "balls" in urine... help!

I know I've been MIA for awhile (got married and disappeared.. haha), but Katie has had some strange symptoms lately and I need help! I have done a little research, but thought I may as well ask the experts about experience with things like this.
    Katie was recently picked up from being boarded at the vet. She came back covered in fleas, filthy, and with raw sores from scratching. She was acting very skiddish (sp?) and didn't really want us to touch her (WAY out of character for our love bug!). We gave her a bath last night, then went to bed thinking we'd solved the problem.
    My husband took her out this morning before he left for work and he said she pooped but didn't pee. When it was time for me to wake up, she was whining to go out. When I took her out, she would squat, drip a little, walk around some more, squat again, drip some more.. and so on and so forth for about 10 minutes, like she was straining to pee. I finally had to drag her back inside so I could get ready for work! I went to take her out again as I was leaving and noticed a little puddle of bloody liquid on the floor with these tiny gray round things in it (like tiny pebbles or capsules). There were a few other bloody drips around the puddle. She has been acting like she doesn't feel good, but we thought it was just the itchiness from the fleas until now... any suggestions as to what this may be? We plan on taking her to her usual vet (not the crappy place she was boarded) to get checked out.. but thought I'd ask here now for some peace of mind.
    Thanks in advance!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: UTI? Blood and tiny gray "balls" in urine... help!

I have pictures of the bloody puddle that I can try to figure out how to post if anyone needs to see that to understand what's going on!

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like a a UTI maybe a kidney infection due to the blood. My girl had a bad UTI took almost 2 months to get rid of. Take her to vet ASAP as these can be very painful for them. I recommend getting a full culture done which would probably cost around $160. It's more than a simple urinalysis but they are worth it because they do sensitivity testing to determine what is the best course of treatment.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Take her to the vet ASAP. She most likely has bladder stones. It's a good thing that she is a she and can pass bigger stones than boys without getting blocked. It is vital that the stones get analyzed so you know how to treat them. My Usko has had stones operated, so I'm a bit of an expert in this field. He has a defected HUU gene and that makes him susceptible to develop urate stones. This is quite common in bulldogs.
    She can also have struvite stones due to infection or any any other type there is. Treatment is different depending on the type of stone so analysis is important.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Katie
    Likes (Received)

Thanks so much for the responses! We will be taking her today if it all possible.. and if not, then tomorrow! I hate to see my baby in pain. :crying:

Lucy-licious

Quote Originally Posted by Wlw9x View Post
    Thanks so much for the responses! We will be taking her today if it all possible.. and if not, then tomorrow! I hate to see my baby in pain. :crying:
    Try to get a little tub under neath her next time she squats down so that you can get a sample for thevet. Hugs to you both xx

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Poor Katie had a rough time of it lately, hope she feels better soon, keep us posted please
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Awww... poor baby.... Please keep us in the loop. Hope she is well soon.

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

I don't recommend trying to catch the urine yourself, too easy to get contaminated. My vet wouldn't even test the urine when I brought it in. My vet prefered to get the sample. They let her start to pee the. Slid this crazy looking catch tray under her midstream. They can also extract urine directly from the bladder.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

We take urine samples ourselves all the time. Once a week to test the pH ourselves and once in a couple of months we take it to the vet to get tested more thoroughly.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Sounds like a uti and probably stones like the above people mentioned. And there's no harm in getting a sample yourself. My vet allows me to do so, but only if it's within an hour from the appt and it needs to be a sterile cup.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lupe (or Lulu)
    Likes (Received)

I would treat this as an emergency. Her PH is probably way out of whack (could be from stress or even something like the water at the boarding place) and this stuff can be painful. You will have to wait for the urine culture results, maybe a few days, but if the vet suggests starting her on broad-spectrum antibiotics right away, do it. It's pricey, so if money is an issue, ask if you can buy half the perscription, then the other half later. also, ask about adding a cap of apple cider vinegar to her water to help clear the stones and regulate her PH.

Also, I have no idea if this actually translates in to real help, but when we went through this, I would try to soothe/comfort Lupe with long firm petting, like a mother's tongue. I read somewhere that this helps dogs feel safe and less stressed. Se would just drift to sleep within minutes. Maybe it helped me more!

if this is a long-term thing, you can manage with special food and daily grooming once the infection has cleared. Good luck!!! Your being a good parent by catching it so soon!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads