Help Needed! UTI? Blood and tiny gray "balls" in urine... help!

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
GATOR, (HOPE RIP) & Spot the Aussie/mix
Awww hope she feels better must be female uti weekend mine has some sort of urine infection too, we're waiting on results only cuz the Vet had an emergency come in... But I got some antibiotics to help in the meantime.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm sorry, but I have to say your vet is a bit too indifferent for my taste. What if she has UTI, what if she has urate stones, or struvite stones, calcium oxalate, xanthine...it is not just passing them, but also finding out what type they are and why she has them in the first place and treating her accordingly so they don't reoccur. And like right now, not next week.
My Usko had UTI when the he was diagnosed having stones the first time. His urine pH was 9 and he had urate stones. I was wondering first how can he have urate stones with that high pH, when urates form in acid urine. So it was important to get rid of the infection to start treating the stones. So antibiotics was the first thing we got. Well, in the end he had the stones removed surgically, but we could not do anything to treat his hyperuricosuria before the UTI was gone.
If I were you I would take her to the vet before, different vet.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I agree with [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]. My vet also told me to monitor duchess for a few days when she fits showed symptomsof uti around 12 weeks. Well that monitoring led to about a 2 month battle and 4 different antibiotics to clear her completely of the infection!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'd side with those who say take her to the vet. I wouldn't be happy leaving it til Saturday ... but that's just me!

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
I'm seconding @RiiSi and Scueva. I don't understand why a vet would hold off on diagnosing any kind of infection, especially one that could impact kidney health. If you add the time it takes to get culture results, that's a lot of time!...maybe I'm misunderstanding your baby's symptoms. It tooks months (and a surgery) for us to resolve Lupe's uti episodes and strivuite crystals and we were on top of it all. Plus...ouch!

OP
Wlw9x

Wlw9x

May 10, 2011
Gardendale, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Katie
Like I said, I will probably end up taking her earlier than that. I hate it, but I have trouble getting my boss to let me off work, especially since I just came back from vacation today. If need be, my husband will have to go home and take her on a long lunch break. We live about 30 minutes from the closest vet with a lot of bulldog experience. I'm not going to talk down about the vet because he has always been wonderful and knowledgeable. I haven't talked to him about the issue, only the assistant who answered the phone call. Trust me, I'm not going to let her suffer if she keeps acting like she did last night. I will find a way to get her to the vet, even if I have to beg my boss to use my sick time for her! I'm not a terrible mommy! :nope:

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Like I said, I will probably end up taking her earlier than that. I hate it, but I have trouble getting my boss to let me off work, especially since I just came back from vacation today. If need be, my husband will have to go home and take her on a long lunch break. We live about 30 minutes from the closest vet with a lot of bulldog experience. I'm not going to talk down about the vet because he has always been wonderful and knowledgeable. I haven't talked to him about the issue, only the assistant who answered the phone call. Trust me, I'm not going to let her suffer if she keeps acting like she did last night. I will find a way to get her to the vet, even if I have to beg my boss to use my sick time for her! I'm not a terrible mommy! :nope:

Oh don't be silly now!! No one thinks you are a bad mommy, I think it was more directed to the vets for not seeing the urgency. I would call the vet again and tell them you cannot come until Saturday, if you can please drop by and get enough antibiotics until then. The sooner you get those going the better!! If it's only 5 days worth it won't be enough to cure her so they should hopefully be able to help you out because you WILL need to go in for more 5 days will not do it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names

Oh dear, I didn't for a second think that you're a bad mommy. I really just don't like the way, in this case some assistant, dismisses your babies condition. What ever it is it is not getting better by itself and waiting could make it worse. We all know how horrible it is to see our babies suffer:assurred::hug:

OP
Wlw9x

Wlw9x

May 10, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Katie
Update!
Yesterday afternoon, Katie was her usual self.. she didn't have any accidents between lunch time and 5. She went out and peed normally...
When we got home from a softball game later that night, again, no accidents! She peed again normally.. and another normal pee this morning. I have been keeping her water bowl full and wetting her dry food.
Last night she was extremely happy acting, jumping up on my legs trying to get attention, trying to sit in my lap on the floor, following me everywhere, romping around like a puppy, and eventually, trying to get up in the bed with me.
Is this something that may come and go over the next few days? I'm sorry if that is a dumb question. I really am uneducated on the subject. Thanks all!

OP
Wlw9x

Wlw9x

May 10, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Katie
Also, if she isn't showing any signs of discomfort now, should I still go by and pick up some antibiotics? I wish she could just tell me how she really feels! haha

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
So happy that she is feeling better!
If she has UTI it doesn't go away by it self, but if she is feeling fine now maybe she doesnt have it. If she has stones of any sort they may come and go, but they surely will come back if you don't adjust her nutrition. Females hardly ever get blocked but it is a possibility anyway and if they do it can be fatal.

OP
Wlw9x

Wlw9x

May 10, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Katie
The more I think about it, the more I wonder if that stupid place she was boarded at gave her something she wasn't supposed to have and started all of this... ugh. (Can it get into her system and cause that kind of discharge in a matter of days?)
Then again, it may be something in some of her newer treats? I don't know, but I don't want her to go through anything like this again. She had me crying the other night when she was hurting and acting like she didn't want anything to do with me!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
If she doesn't have UTI, she may have what my Usko has. You can google canine hyperuricosuria to find out more.

OP
Wlw9x

Wlw9x

May 10, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Katie
So, the vet confirmed that Katie does have a UTI and high PH (acidic) urine. She got medicine for that as well as a cortisone shot for the flea infestation she had after being boarded at All Creatures (NEVER again.. her skin looks rough from her scratching!) We found out too that All Creatures gave her a rabies shot when her previous one was good for 2 more years.
Also, she will be having eye surgery (can't remember if she has ectropian or entropian,) and a thorough teeth cleaning in December. So far she has been in very good health, so I can't really complain.. but here come those expensive vet bills! Merry Christmas to Katie! haha I would do anything for that babygirl!

Last edited:

Most Reactions