General Question Hertz Groomers's Best Oatmeal Shampoo

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
We recently purchased Hertz Groomers's Best Oatmeal Shampoo which claims to calm irritated skin and moisturizes. I was considering giving him a bath today.

Of course just 20 minutes ago I'm reading these forums, and just discovered all the horrible infections that can happen with English Bulldogs and that you guys are using special shampoos.

Did you start with these shampoos as needed, or as a preventative thing? Is hertz shampoo still safe to use or could it irritate his skin? Ironically there is an English bulldog on the label.

How often are you washing them? I see every week or 2 weeks, but my gut says that could actually do more harm than good? Am I totally wrong about this?

Thanks, experts! Can't wait to start learning so I can give back to new puppy owners.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The shampoo should be fine as long as your bully is not allergic to any of the ingredients. I prefer the medicated because of it's ability to remove yeast and bacteria.

Bathing should be done as needed. Some bullies need it more often than others. For example, I give Molly 2 baths for each bath most of my bullies have. For her, it is every 2-3 weeks. Mandy gets it a bit more too but she is all white and likes to chase lizards so she gets "dusty". Otherwise, the rest go about a month or longer in between depending on their smell. Yuna never even seems like she needs one when I give her one but she is a prissy girl who never gets dirty lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with Lisa @desertskibulldogs and only bath them as needed. bathing too often can dry out their skin. We only bath ours several times a year unless they get dirty for what ever reason.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
an oatmeal shampoo should be good long as your bully is not allergic. alot here use malaket or duoxo or some kind of bacterial yeast shampoo. i am trying duoxo on sarah as the wipes seem to be clearing up her black back better than the malaket. i have to bath sarah every week with her skin issues and her itchiness. ive been doing this for a long time now but its not the norm. it really depends on your bully. the longer you can go without the better. i try to brush her and my bostons once a week.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
thanks guys! so far so good. Any indication how I will find out they are allergic? Too much scratching or something?

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
[MENTION=6280]ModernFemme[/MENTION] you will know he's allergic - dont worry about that :) Red skin, itching, licking...and the panic you'll have when you see your baby suffering. LOL

one thing you can do if you feel he must be bathed more frequently (or if you think he's stinky) is use Johnson and Johnsons Oatmeal baby wash - wipe him down with it 3-4 times per week. Then go back over with a clean cloth to get the soap off. Or try Earthbath Puppy Spray and/or wipes (its all natural). The spray smells like cherries and will help with odor and condition his coat - the wipes will help wipe off any dirt and clear off dust. Brush him daily if he gets really dusty. They have other varities of Earthbath but the puppy one is most gentle so that is the one I use.

Until you know that he has skin issues or such that requires more bathing, try to not bath him so often - it should be a pretty infrequent activity like everyone says. Just brush him and wipe him down.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
With all Vegas's allergies I just get the Rx shampoo from the vet, better safe than sorry, and it does help fight yeast and bacteria. I live in Florida and it is so hot. I have to bath about every 3 weeks, two reasons, he stinks and it gets the allergens off his body.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Abby has very oily skin so she gets a bath once a week with Richards Organic antibacterial shampoo.
Otis gets a bath once a month to keep him white, I'm using Natures Miracle shed control on him. He sheds like a sled dog and it makes me crazy.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
@ModernFemme you will know he's allergic - dont worry about that :) Red skin, itching, licking...and the panic you'll have when you see your baby suffering. LOL

one thing you can do if you feel he must be bathed more frequently (or if you think he's stinky) is use Johnson and Johnsons Oatmeal baby wash - wipe him down with it 3-4 times per week. Then go back over with a clean cloth to get the soap off. Or try Earthbath Puppy Spray and/or wipes (its all natural). The spray smells like cherries and will help with odor and condition his coat - the wipes will help wipe off any dirt and clear off dust. Brush him daily if he gets really dusty. They have other varities of Earthbath but the puppy one is most gentle so that is the one I use.

Until you know that he has skin issues or such that requires more bathing, try to not bath him so often - it should be a pretty infrequent activity like everyone says. Just brush him and wipe him down.

Okay [MENTION=5580]elearn[/MENTION], this was totally spot on. Within a couple of hours he started scratching a little, and now his face is slightly irritated. I'm definitely going to pick up that spray and hope it calms his skin down. THANK YOU!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bea has special shampoo for her extremely deep tail pocket ---which can get yeasty. Duoxo Chlorhexadine shampoo. They also make a cream rinse which I bought but haven't used. LOVE THIS STUFF. I start with her tail pocket, getting it nice and sudsy, letting the shampoo sit there while I wash the rest of her with a Oatmeal shampoo. Important: Rinse, rinse, rinse and rinse again. Then (and she hates this) I make a "wick" of sorts with a soft microfiber wash rag to "wick" out any moisture after the bath. Maintenance in this area is the Duoxo pads. The minute I see trouble back there, into the tub we go. I've learned to not let it go. Even if time is short, she's gotten a tail pocket only bath. I use this same shampoo as a "face wipe" for both dogs at bathtime; GENTLY scrubbing and then "rinsing" WELL with a clean wash cloth. (It should be said that this effort does nothing for tear stains; that's a separate issue entirely.) In between baths, a daily wipe face wipe with a Huggies "one and done" baby wipe because I love the aloe/cucumber smell. :yes:

Bath time is an awesome opportunity for me to practice leadership with my pack. Both dogs must come with me from wherever they are into the bathroom. Bo used to try to go under the bed; but we've practiced this ritual enough that he doesn't do that anymore. Bea is first - so Bo must wait patiently on the rug until it's his turn. Bea must then wait on the rug while it's Bo's turn. The reward to all of this is their favorite thing EVER and that's DRY TIME. That vigorous toweling is probably their favorite thing in the world. All of this makes bath time a pleasant and fun experience for me -- which makes it pleasant (and fun at the towel part) for them!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
HRH is a Selsun Blue kinda girl! But we dont care for its smell so she gets a rewash with Oster oatmeal dog shampoo to kill the other odor. LOL Her skin is just marvelous, darling. ;)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.