What Food is NOT Okay to give your Bully?

bbstubbles

Jan 31, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Olaf & Ivana
Or for any dog....I do know Grapes is a big no no...as it can cause kidney failure if I remember correctly? I though maybe we all could come up with a list of foods and reasons!?! :confused:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Onions, Chocolate I know off the top of my head. I have a list from my Gastroenterology Vet. It is filed with Bella's other paperwork, I will have to search it and post.

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
Both Onions and grapes are toxic in large amounts. My bully does love grapes but she only can have 2-3 every great once in awhile. Thing is a lot of the dog biscuits out on the market do contain onions as an ingredient. Onions should not be feed to any dog in large doses. They and grapes are what is consider weight and dose proportionate, in other words depending on the size of the dog and the amount fed is what makes up what is consider a toxic dose. With onions it is just not wise to fed them to bully's because they can get some absolutely horrendous flatulence if they eat them.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
There is a couple lists on here somewhere..... lemme search.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...d-Household-Items-that-are-dangerous-for-dogs.....

[MENTION=21]bbstubbles[/MENTION] .... remember those days when if you did not log in for a day you would still see the most recent topics on the community tab? Those days are over. I was just working on a tab for facebook for a few hours and came back to find all community news was new posts! I may have missed a post!!! :eek:

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
If a dog gets into milk chocolate the toxicity is much lower than bakers cocoa/chocolate and dark chocolate.

Avocado's are also on the No list.

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Here is a list I just received from a very experienced Bulldog breeder who gives me a lot of advice and tips. I would like to share this list with all of you here.

Here is a list of no-no's for Bullies. Abide by this list, in the end you will be thankful that you did.

Chocolate (contains Theobromine)

Onions & garlic

Pear pips, the kernels of plums, peaches and apricots, apple core pips (contain cyanogenic glycosides

resulting in cyanide poisoning)

Potato peelings and green looking potatoes

Rhubarb leaves

Moldy/spoiled foods

Macadamia Nuts/Walnuts

Alcohol

Yeast dough

Coffee grounds, beans & tea (caffeine)

Hops (used in home brewing)

Tomato leaves & stems (green parts)

Broccoli (in large amounts)

Raisins and grapes (damages the kidneys)

Cigarettes, tobacco, cigars

Nutmeg

Raw Potatoes

Turkey skin

Voltarin (in arthritis medication)-Very Fatal

Baby Food that contain onion powder

Citrus oil

Fat trimmings (Can cause
pancreatitis).

Human vitamins containing iron (can damage the lining of the digestive system)

Large amounts of liver

Mushrooms

Raw fish

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I think avocados are only bad if they eat the skin, pits or parts of the tree. What is wrong with raw potatoes I wonder? Also have heard that mushrooms are bad only cuz they can tend to be poisonous so I am sure the ones at the store are fine. My boys eat them, (not in abundance tho) just when I drop them on the floor while cooking them on accident. lol

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Yeah, it's got to be the skins and pits of avacados, I'm thinking. There are dog foods made of avocado! I've also heard garlic isn't good, but I think a lot of this is only a problem if there's a large quantity involved.

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
I think avocados are only bad if they eat the skin, pits or parts of the tree. What is wrong with raw potatoes I wonder? Also have heard that mushrooms are bad only cuz they can tend to be poisonous so I am sure the ones at the store are fine. My boys eat them, (not in abundance tho) just when I drop them on the floor while cooking them on accident. lol
If I remember correctly the Potatoe is due to certain enzymes that are in them ,but cooking them thoroughly leeches it out.

mom2bullies

May 29, 2010
Auburn,WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chesty, Cadence and baby Echo and Mello (Delta)
I use to feed my dalmatian grapes (green) but as she was spoiled I peeled them and the vet said a few now and again was ok .... so I always thought it was the skin of the graape.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Mushrooms? Are we talking wild ones? I was just at the vet on Saturday and he instructed me to make a stew with Tomatoes, mushrooms, red peppers and cabbage for a healthy high fiber stew for Vegas. :eek:
[MENTION=1222]Victor Y[/MENTION]

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Grapes are never good bit it depends on the dog if it will hurt them or not. We never used to know about them being toxic when we were young and fed them to our newfie all the time. He was a 100 pound dog tho but he did eat many frozen grapes with us with no effect. I wouldnt dare give a grape now tho knowing what can happen.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
When I first got Samson I didn't know grapes were bad and he used to get them all the time because I love grapes. Not a huge amount but there were times where it was more than a few. My brother used to give them to his westie all the time too. Never had a problem. Of course now that I know I wouldn't take the chance. There are too many other fruits and veggies with no risk that I can give him.

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Mushrooms? Are we talking wild ones? I was just at the vet on Saturday and he instructed me to make a stew with Tomatoes, mushrooms, red peppers and cabbage for a healthy high fiber stew for Vegas. :eek:
[MENTION=1222]Victor Y[/MENTION]
That sounds good :D Here is a link for all of you. It has a slew of recipes you can make for dinners, snacks and doggy biscuits and treats. What I like is seeing what recipe I can use with leftovers I have from our meals. PLUS most all the ones I have read over do not include ingredients that are bad for dogs.
http://www.i-love-dogs.com/

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.