URGENT!!! Is this mange?

widebody

Jun 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
fatz
I thought my boy had allergies... he breaks out in hives, I've switched shampoo 3 times... I switched his food from totw to blue wilderness, took all bedding away and no treats... took him to the vet all they did was tell me he had an reaction to something. Gave him some pills and it came right back... I have an apt Monday at the vet, but I wanted you guys opinion... and if its mange can I cure it myself and how.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349382539093.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349382539093.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 177

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
All I can say is ouch!!! That looks incredibly itchy!

Don't rule out anything, have your vet do a skin scrape to be sure. It looks like dermatitis to me, have you tried giving benedryl yet?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
I think it looks more like an allergic reaction to something. You have to eliminate things slowly to figure out what it is. In the cases of mange that I have seen the hair has fallen off in the affected site. Try the benadryl and keep an eye on it. Might I also suggest a non-fragrant oatmeal shampoo coupled with a cool bath. Also try to not over wash right now. Sometimes germs and the natural oils they have on their body helps to heal and protect the skin.

OP
widebody

widebody

Jun 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
fatz
im gonna go to the vet again and see what they say this time, his back was not red the last time, he just had hives and 2 sores they shaved that he was scratching.... I have no clue what he could be allergic to, like i said i've changed shampoos... i actually started with an oatmeal... and i've changed his food. he was on totw for 4 months with no issues.. then this started, I changed him to blue after reading on the forum dogs can develop allergies to a food they've been eating with no issues.. I washed him again tues this time trying the furminator shampoo, cause he has been losing hair like crazy... and notice the hives were really bad and the scratching... i brushed him really good today and thats when i noticed how red his back was, after all the hair came off...

Bulliebrothers

May 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester and Clyde
My Chester's had all sorts if skin issues. When he had mange it was red like yours, but more localized. Your vet should be able to scrape and tell you if it's mange right away. I remember part of the treatment was the application of advantix II. But last year and again this year, he had a bacterial outbreak on his back, looks exactly like your bully's,which also caused hair loss. He tends to have allergies to multiple things.(I think seasonal) The vet gave him antibiotics and an antibacterial shampoo, Malaseb. It's clearing right up!
Good luck I hope your bully gets relief soon.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I dont think it looks like mange, it does look like an allergic reaction. Is he itching at all? I wonder if it could be a flea allergy. I'd stop shampooing for now. If anything, rinse him off with some cool water in case there is some shampoo residue on it. He could very well be allergic to the shampoo. It might not have been the food at all. The brushing could be irritating it, causing it to become red. Wash his bedding with dye-free, fragrance free stuff and maybe keep him crated for a while to see if the redness subsides - you know, like a little quarantine.

Have you done anything different in your house with cleansers or detergents? Or is anything new/different that he may have rubbed against or gotten into that wasn't for him?

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
BTW Herman had this - I'm not sure what this was really, it kept coming and going for about a month. I noticed it flared up when he played in the backyard and would start getting less red a few days later. It didnt itch as far as I know (and if it did he definitely didnt scratch).

26453d1346373370-hermans-rash-getting-worse-hermanstomach.jpg

OP
widebody

widebody

Jun 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
fatz
I dont think it looks like mange, it does look like an allergic reaction. Is he itching at all? I wonder if it could be a flea allergy. I'd stop shampooing for now. If anything, rinse him off with some cool water in case there is some shampoo residue on it. He could very well be allergic to the shampoo. It might not have been the food at all. The brushing could be irritating it, causing it to become red. Wash his bedding with dye-free, fragrance free stuff and maybe keep him crated for a while to see if the redness subsides - you know, like a little quarantine.

Have you done anything different in your house with cleansers or detergents? Or is anything new/different that he may have rubbed against or gotten into that wasn't for him?

I actually took away his bedding and treatss.. today was the first time brushing him in a few weeks.. yes he scratches mainly his belly and sides.... my back yard is really small, with no tree's, bushes or grass in it. So I don't know what it could be....

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Those are both definately allergy's. Stop shampooing for a while, dogs need that oil on their coat for a reason. Please don't wash your dog unless they are dirty. Honestly I would rinse him/her in a mix of white vinegar . One cup vinegar to 1 gallon of water. leave it on, don't rinse it off. And there's hardly any hair there to brush so that would irritate the skin also. give that pooch a hug from me. poor baby. sometimes if a dog is allergic to grain. they get a reaction from grain shampoo, like oatmeal. when you rinse your fella just use tepid water also. hot or too warm of water will also dry the heck out of the skin. Please keep us posted [MENTION=5242]widebody[/MENTION] and [MENTION=5580]elearn[/MENTION]

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I thought my boy had allergies... he breaks out in hives, I've switched shampoo 3 times... I switched his food from totw to blue wilderness, took all bedding away and no treats... took him to the vet all they did was tell me he had an reaction to something. Gave him some pills and it came right back... I have an apt Monday at the vet, but I wanted you guys opinion... and if its mange can I cure it myself and how.

What protein source was the original food!! To me it looks like allergies, and the first thing to look at is the food!

Last edited:
OP
widebody

widebody

Jun 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
fatz
What protein source was the original food!! To me it looks like allergies, and the first thing to look at is the food!

He was on the bison totw....

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OUCH....alergies. Give him benedryl 1mg per pound up to 3x a day to help with the itching. Could be a bug bite or food allergy since you stated htere are no trees or grass in your yard

OP
widebody

widebody

Jun 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
fatz
Yes bison totw.... now he on blue wilderness, how long does it normally take after food change to see results? Its been 10 days or so and he still itching...

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Yes bison totw.... now he on blue wilderness, how long does it normally take after food change to see results? Its been 10 days or so and he still itching...

You really have to give it a good 30 days to get the old food out of his system. If he gets worse then there is a common ingredient in both foods that may not be agreeing with him :no:

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman

Did you try the Benadryl (the pink, plain original tablets - not any of the ones with extra stuff in it)? That should help with the itching a little.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online