General Question Mange Question

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Westchester, New York, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
For those who have experience with mange. Did your vet do any kind of testing to see if the mites were still present after treatment?
Was there another scraping done? How do you know if and when the mange is gone?

petee2

Mar 26, 2012
Scott Township, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petee
There should be atleast 3 negative skin scrapings done over 4-5 month timespan. Scrapings should be done on several areas. It could come back if their immune system is compromised again.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
There should be atleast 3 negative skin scrapings done over 4-5 month timespan. Scrapings should be done on several areas. It could come back if their immune system is compromised again.

When Zelda had the mange, this is what was done.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
For those who have experience with mange. Did your vet do any kind of testing to see if the mites were still present after treatment?
Was there another scraping done? How do you know if and when the mange is gone?

you should probably go in every 2 or so weeks to get scraped during treatment. you will want to get at least 2 negative scrapings after your first negative scraping.

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Westchester, New York, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
you should probably go in every 2 or so weeks to get scraped during treatment. you will want to get at least 2 negative scrapings after your first negative scraping.

That's what I thought. The vet said that he does not do another scraping to see if it's negative. That when the spot dries up (not sure what that means) and you can see hair growing then treatment is done. I was like what????? I have never heard of such a thing. She has had 3 dips now and I have no answers.
I was thinking of finding another vet. What do you think?

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
That's what I thought. The vet said that he does not do another scraping to see if it's negative. That when the spot dries up (not sure what that means) and you can see hair growing then treatment is done. I was like what????? I have never heard of such a thing. She has had 3 dips now and I have no answers.
I was thinking of finding another vet. What do you think?

yes, I would find another vet because how do you know if it's gone unless you check it???? sigh, that's just nuts.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.