Help Needed! bald spots?

jessport

Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Bulldog(s) Names
daisy
Thanks!So miss daisy has a couple of bald spots. I've never seen anything like this so I thought I would ask around. I started seeing them when she got her. Last round of shots so I thought it was an allergic reaction, but they haven't gone away. They haven't gotten worse either. Any ideas? I should also say, the spots r in weird places. One on the back of her neck, one on her knee, and one on the side of her face. She itched at the one on her knee a few times but that's it. Never seen her scratch the other two and if I touch them she doesn't care. View attachment 28119View attachment 28120View attachment 28121

OP
jessport

jessport

Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Bulldog(s) Names
daisy
Also, the fur around them isn't really brown, it's just the poor lighting. :)

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Also, the fur around them isn't really brown, it's just the poor lighting. :)

I cant see the pics, but it could possibly be mange, especially if on the side of the face. Is the skin there still pink, but sort of spotted like in the pores?

OP
jessport

jessport

Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Bulldog(s) Names
daisy
I cant see the pics, but it could possibly be mange, especially if on the side of the face. Is the skin there still pink, but sort of spotted like in the pores?

Yes to both

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I was able to click the attachments to view, and mange is the first thing that came to my mind as well. Especially picture #2. Just a big bald pink spot. Either way, you will probably need to go to the vet and have a skin scrape done just to rule it out. If it is not mange, we can look at food or environmental allergies as a possible culprit.

I will tag a couple I know have dealt with mange to see what they think.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I would suggest getting tested for mange also. When an immunity system is upset..by leaving the mother, being rehomed, anything that may cause the pup to be unwell...can trigger mange. Every puppy has the potential for it. Usually their immune system is healthy enough to fight it off.
Vegas had weird random bald spots also. Almost like I dropped bleach on him. This happened when he was about 6 months old.

Okay..I'm going to copy and paste.
Nearly all dogs acquire mange mites from their mother during the first few days of life. These mites are considered normal skin fauna when present in small numbers. They produce disease only when an abnormal immune system allows their numbers to get out of control. This occurs primarily in puppies and in adult dogs with lowered immunity. A high incidence of mange in certain bloodlines suggests that some purebred dogs are born with an inherited immune susceptibility.

This disease occurs in dogs under 1 year of age. The appearance of the skin is similar to that of ringworm. The principal sign is thinning hair around the eyelids, lips, and corners of the mouth, and occasionally on the trunk, the legs, and the feet. The thinning progresses to patches of ragged hair loss about 1 inch (2.5 cm) in diameter. In some cases the skin becomes red, scaly, and infected.

Localized mange usually heals spontaneously in six to eight weeks, but may wax and wane for several months. If more than five patches are present, the disease could be progressing to the generalized form. This occurs in approximately 10 percent of cases.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
First thought mange as well. If it is, then it's better to get it treated asap as ointments may be the only meds needed. If you wait too long then it may get expensive.

OP
jessport

jessport

Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Bulldog(s) Names
daisy
Thanks so much for the replies! After reading up on it, I am thinking mange. Baby girl is 5 months tomorrow. Calling the vet today, thanks again!

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Thanks so much for the replies! After reading up on it, I am thinking mange. Baby girl is 5 months tomorrow. Calling the vet today, thanks again!

Make sure your vet does a scrape. Right now since there are only a few spots, you should be OK, but look through her fur daily you might continue to find more spots - keep an eye on them. If it is mange, show the new spots to your vet every time you visit so they can be scraped as well. If you only go with topical treatments on the spots you see, then you wont treat the ones you don't see. There shouldnt be more than 5 or 6 spots usually.

In the meantime, you will want to start looking up how to boost her immune system (something has compromised it and she cant fight off the mites) - that will help her to fight the mange internally.

OP
jessport

jessport

Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Bulldog(s) Names
daisy
The last time we went to the vet, we left at 11 @ night. On our way, we almost hit a bull elk (huge animals if u've never seen one). I had to slam on the brakes and daisy fell off the back seat and hit the metal brackets that hold the front seat down. Come to find out (with an xray) she chipped the tip of her back knee joint. She is fine now and walking and using her leg normally. I am wondering if this is the reason her immune system wasn't up to par? She has an appt. With her vet on Tuesday. :)

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
The last time we went to the vet, we left at 11 @ night. On our way, we almost hit a bull elk (huge animals if u've never seen one). I had to slam on the brakes and daisy fell off the back seat and hit the metal brackets that hold the front seat down. Come to find out (with an xray) she chipped the tip of her back knee joint. She is fine now and walking and using her leg normally. I am wondering if this is the reason her immune system wasn't up to par? She has an appt. With her vet on Tuesday. :)

Could be since I'm sure that was stressful for her. Has she had any recent vaccinations or did she have any medication (like antibiotics)? Also, hormones have a big part in it.

I forgot to mention living in a stress free environment also helps the immune system to recover - so you're gonna have to spoil her to death :)

OP
jessport

jessport

Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Bulldog(s) Names
daisy
After researching mange, I found a site that claims vet prescrips cause dogs to get really sick. It claimed different ways to cure mange at home. Does anyone know if the scrips r that bad? Will she get really sick from them? One suggestion was apple cidar vinegar. Also, where would I start looking for info to boost her immune system? Just don't want to get the wrong info. Thanks!

KelseyandAtticus

Aug 8, 2012
Athens, West Virginia, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Atticus
Atticus has sarcoptic mange and we're still fighting the good fight. I know it's different from demodex, and I think identifying the type is the first part. He's been taking ivermectin once a week for the past six weeks and has been side effect free. He did have to switch flea medicine from a flea/ heart worm combo to just a topical flea treatment because the ivermectin is used for heart worms as well. They could overdose, so make sure you ask. We feed him yogurt(plain-non fat) and fruit and vegetables to boost him up. Odis take away his bed and stuffies while we were in the worst of it. You an putthem in a thick garbage bag for a week or two to suffocate the mites. I sprinkled in a little borax in the bag, on my carpets, and on my furniture before vacuuming bc it kills the mites. @ GatorRay told me about neem oil which will kill mites and its safe to apply to the skin. I've heard using pine tar shampoo helps too, but I personally haven't tried it.

OP
jessport

jessport

Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Bulldog(s) Names
daisy
Thanks again! We have a vet appt. For Tuesday. I will also start the veggies :). Daisy is sooo spoiled! She loves to snuggle with me and watch tv lol. I will also look for the borax for the carpet and furniture. You all have been so helpful, we both appreciate it!

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
After researching mange, I found a site that claims vet prescrips cause dogs to get really sick. It claimed different ways to cure mange at home. Does anyone know if the scrips r that bad? Will she get really sick from them? One suggestion was apple cidar vinegar. Also, where would I start looking for info to boost her immune system? Just don't want to get the wrong info. Thanks!

first like @KelseyandAtticus says you need to verify it it is indeed mange, and then which type.

the meds don't typically cause the dogs to get sick - i can speak for demodex mange only though. the medicine is Ivermectin and it's pretty much standard treatment. there is also a dip which is usually mitaban which cant be used on certain breeds - a lot of the alarm comes from it being a pesticide, but i recommend you letting your vet give the dips instead of you doing it yourself. there are some others as well. mange treated internally (with medicine) and externally (topically with a number of ointments, treatments). scarcoptic i believe is easier to treat, but contagious. demodex is a little trickier but isnt contagious.

the goal is to kill the bugs that have gotten out of control in the skin. and there are a number of ways to do it.

as far as immune system - get a good food, vitamins, supplements for skin, probiotics (you might get antibiotics to help with secondary bacterial infections) and enzymes to help her absorb the nutrients for the food. some people look at some chinese herbs that help clean out toxins.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.