Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bald spots?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Atticus
    Likes (Received)

Atticus has sarcoptic mange and we're still fighting the good fight. I know it's different from demodex, and I think identifying the type is the first part. He's been taking ivermectin once a week for the past six weeks and has been side effect free. He did have to switch flea medicine from a flea/ heart worm combo to just a topical flea treatment because the ivermectin is used for heart worms as well. They could overdose, so make sure you ask. We feed him yogurt(plain-non fat) and fruit and vegetables to boost him up. Odis take away his bed and stuffies while we were in the worst of it. You an putthem in a thick garbage bag for a week or two to suffocate the mites. I sprinkled in a little borax in the bag, on my carpets, and on my furniture before vacuuming bc it kills the mites. @ GatorRay told me about neem oil which will kill mites and its safe to apply to the skin. I've heard using pine tar shampoo helps too, but I personally haven't tried it.

Bulldog(s) Names
    daisy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: bald spots?

Thanks again! We have a vet appt. For Tuesday. I will also start the veggies . Daisy is sooo spoiled! She loves to snuggle with me and watch tv lol. I will also look for the borax for the carpet and furniture. You all have been so helpful, we both appreciate it!

I may not be perfect, but my dog me!

Bully lovin' gypsy Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jessport View Post
    After researching mange, I found a site that claims vet prescrips cause dogs to get really sick. It claimed different ways to cure mange at home. Does anyone know if the scrips r that bad? Will she get really sick from them? One suggestion was apple cidar vinegar. Also, where would I start looking for info to boost her immune system? Just don't want to get the wrong info. Thanks!
    first like @KelseyandAtticus says you need to verify it it is indeed mange, and then which type.

the meds don't typically cause the dogs to get sick - i can speak for demodex mange only though. the medicine is Ivermectin and it's pretty much standard treatment. there is also a dip which is usually mitaban which cant be used on certain breeds - a lot of the alarm comes from it being a pesticide, but i recommend you letting your vet give the dips instead of you doing it yourself. there are some others as well. mange treated internally (with medicine) and externally (topically with a number of ointments, treatments). scarcoptic i believe is easier to treat, but contagious. demodex is a little trickier but isnt contagious.

the goal is to kill the bugs that have gotten out of control in the skin. and there are a number of ways to do it.

as far as immune system - get a good food, vitamins, supplements for skin, probiotics (you might get antibiotics to help with secondary bacterial infections) and enzymes to help her absorb the nutrients for the food. some people look at some chinese herbs that help clean out toxins.

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

I too would recommend a vet visit and have them scrap just to be safe. Also, if you have a black light you can turn it on in a dark room and put the puppy under it, if the spots glow it is ring worm and needs to be seen by a vet ASAP because ring worm spreads like wild fire and it is easily transmitted to humans. I would seriously recommend a vet visit. Good Luck.

Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member redhed's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sancho
    Likes (Received)

So, how did it turn out? Do you have other pictures? I can't see those ones for some reason?!
    Last edited by redhed; 10-10-2012 at 11:09 AM.

Bulldog(s) Names
    daisy
    Likes (Received)

It looks like Daisy does have mange and it's the Demodex. The vet let me look in the microscope after she did the scrape. She is going to be taking Ivermectin. The mites r shaped like little cigars with tiny legs lol. Happy that we found out what it was and now we can treat it. thank you all for the replies!

Bulldog(s) Names
    daisy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by redhed View Post
    So, how did it turn out? Do you have other pictures? I can't see those ones for some reason?!
    It may be cauuse I am posting from my phone? Sorry I don't have any other pics

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

Just checking in to see how it went at the vet? Hope she is feeling better
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ann
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dublin
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jessport View Post
    It looks like Daisy does have mange and it's the Demodex. The vet let me look in the microscope after she did the scrape. She is going to be taking Ivermectin. The mites r shaped like little cigars with tiny legs lol. Happy that we found out what it was and now we can treat it. thank you all for the replies!
    Just want to put your mind at ease and let you know that Dublin had Demodex around the same age as Daisy. She had to do two rounds with the Ivermectin and came through it just fine with no side effects even with her very comprimised immune system. She has the most beautiful coat and no indication that she ever had anything wrong. Ugh! when I heard the word mange I really freaked but that is because I really didnt' know anything about it at the time. Miss Daisy is in good hands..

Bulldog(s) Names
    Douglas
    Likes (Received)

This could also be seasonal flank alopecia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads