Allergy test? Are they necessary?

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Have you guys had allergy tests done? What exactly does it consist of? Whatndoes it normally cost? Will it expose all existing allergens food and environmental? Is it necessary to get this test done? The reason I am asking is my bully has tears, no staining, not a lot either. But they are present in her folds and I am wondering if something in her food could be causing the tears or ar tears just present in bullies? She is currently on natures variety frozen raw diet. Look forward to any responses!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
personally if one of my dogs were suffering from allergies and I couldn't figure out to what by elimination I would rather spend the money to get them tested. I have a friend who's bulldog is having a rough go of it with allergies right now and she is getting the allergy test done and from what I understand from her it's a blood draw then the test is done in the lab from the blood, so unlike people testing its not a scratch test where they place the possible allergens into a scratch on your back. It would depend on area and vet as far as price goes but again from what I understand from my friend it's going to cost her around $500.00

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Are the tears something i need to look further into? Like I said they are very, very minor. She's my first bullies so I guess I'm OCD with her!

wendykerr

Jun 3, 2012
Cibolo, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Larry aka Lawrence Tiberius
Have your vet check for eyelashes that are growing towards the eye - that can cause tearing. Larry just had 7 plucked at the vets office. We also got his allergy testing done - Was $285 for the blood test that checks for EVERYTHING.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I totally think the test are worth it... my boy had what we thought were tummy issues and after a long trial and error with different foods and meds, we finally did the test and found he was allergic to rice. as you know rice is in everything, including the bland diet that you use with tummy issues. test price differs, but expect it to be about $250

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.