Paranoid about yeast in puppy

Bacon

Sep 9, 2010
West Branch Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Hey Guys,
So I'm a new Bullie mommy, so of course I'm paranoid.:eek: Right now I'm kinda worried about Bacon having some yeast issues. I read the post about water stains, and I read on there yeast is rust colored. I also looked online for pictures, and more information. I had been cleaning his ears, wrinkles and butt with baby wipes.

A few weeks ago I noticed Bacon was scratching his ears, and rubbing them on the ground. I looked inside and they just looked dirty with a rust colored substance in them. I didn't worry much about it because i had to take him into the vet to get his shots so I would just ask them took look @ them while we were there. The vet didn't give me much info about it just to wash them out and watch him.
I was doing that and it didn't help, so i moved on to a vinegar water mixture like i read on a different post..
Well now its on his paws between his toes, and he keeps licking them, and now i noticed it under his tail. I have been doing my best to wipe him and keep him clean, but it just seems like its getting worse. :(
Any suggestions would help!

Thanks,
Danny and Bacon :bully:

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
my first thought would be what kind of food are you feeding him? poor quality foods can cause yeast big time! also, allergens besides food can cause yeast too (stuff outside).

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The only thing that really WORKS COMPLETELY, for me, is yeast cream prescribed from my vet. This is the best way to control yeast, bacteria and fungus. Keep the ears clean once a week with ear cleaning solution, but if it is bad now you may want to do it once daily until better.

Also get a shampoo from your vet for yeast. If yeast becomes a real problem, you will want to use it called Chlorhexaderm. (i think?)

Your puppy is certainly a bit young to be developing these issues. Now, you just got Bacon right? So he may also be stressed out. He just left his mama and litter mates.... although he may not seem stressed out, he is- trust me. Also, did you change the food your breeder was feeding?

OP
Bacon

Bacon

Sep 9, 2010
West Branch Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We got him a couple weeks ago. We havent changed his food from what the breeder told us he was eating. We use Diamond Naturals Small Breed Puppy. I saw it was a 3 Star rating on the scale. We live in the Midwest and not only are there a ton of allergens in the area right now but the weather hasn't exactly been the best... lots of rain and wet grass.. Ive noticed he has been getting "eye boogers" in the last few days too... so maybe this is from allergies?? The only other thing I can think of is maybe the treats we have been giving him... ?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Allergens no, treats yes!!!

It (usually) takes going through a season of allergens to develop allergies, this is why you don't see puppies with seasonal allergies. Seasonal allergies develop after the first year.

More than likely it's stress and a combination of the treats. Good treats are just as important as good food...

I would recommend getting Bacon on a better diet and see if he improves :)

OP
Bacon

Bacon

Sep 9, 2010
West Branch Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
An update-

I have taken the advice to switch his food, and after hours of reading post and looking at websites I decided to switch Bacon over to Fromm food, the problem was I couldnt find it in my area. Today I called a Local pet store and they have decided to start carrying it! So tomorrow I'm going to stop and pick up a bag! I was thinking of getting him the Surf 'n Turf, but when I called they hadnt even unloaded it so they didn't know what kinds they have yet. Anyone with other suggestions of what worked for their bully would be helpful! Thanks!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
An update-

I have taken the advice to switch his food, and after hours of reading post and looking at websites I decided to switch Bacon over to Fromm food, the problem was I couldnt find it in my area. Today I called a Local pet store and they have decided to start carrying it! So tomorrow I'm going to stop and pick up a bag! I was thinking of getting him the Surf 'n Turf, but when I called they hadnt even unloaded it so they didn't know what kinds they have yet. Anyone with other suggestions of what worked for their bully would be helpful! Thanks!

I am feeding Fromm Surf & Turf right now and love it! I picked that one because its Fromm's grain free food. I feed that with salmon oil everyday.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I am feeding the chicken a la veg by fromm and so far I like it also. It is the cheapest of the fromms foods and Cutty had been on chicken before the switch anyhow so I figured why not try it out? We almost have finished this loooonnnng switch over and once we do, I will know how much I like this one more. I say try any of them and see how they do with your pup. (slowly transitioning over of course) One thing with bullies is we are all trying to figure out what works best for our pups and they are all so diff it makes it hard to know. Once you transition over to any of these 4 star fromms you can trade off on the proteins varieties as you like to see what you like most.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
An update-

Great news, how lucky you are!

I forgot to ask if Bacon was a local pup, or was he flow or traveled far to get to you?

OP
Bacon

Bacon

Sep 9, 2010
West Branch Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We got Bacon from a breeder about 45 minutes from where we live from a very nice family who has been breeding for a number of years. We just drove up and got him. I had to buy another 5 pound bag of the Diamond Naturals to switch him over to his new food, because we ran out before we had a chance to switch, so Im going to make sure and go extra slow.
Im also going to put up pics of bacon recently. His staining has gotten worse quickly. We first tried to switch his bowls thinking that could be part of the problem. It helped the itching quite a bit, but he now has tear stains. He also has stain on his chest (but im not sure if its a poop stain... he went potty in his crate while we were gone for a couple hours and then laid in it.... we washed him right away and at least once since then but there still is a patch of copper color where it used to be white.) We have a vet appointment on Friday so I'm going to see what they have to say about it.
Thanks for the input!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
After rereading your initial post, I want to make sure that all the tips on cleaning are issued correctly :)

To clean the ears, get some VET ear cleaning solution from your vet. Squeeze some into the ear. Massage the ear (you should hear a squishy squishy sound). Then wipe it out with cotton balls.

If you are using a hot cloth to wipe him down, make sure it is barely damp. You do not want it wet. Water= yeast. You can also wipe any areas with the VET solution (will make him smell like a medicine cabinet- but it works), even tho this is wet, it is a drying solution- and it kills bacteria. Do not use this near the eyes however.

The treats could be causing the itchies and tear stains, but if he has yeast it could be spreading. If you do try the vinegar and water, do it the same as the hot cloth- squeeze out the access water- so it is just barely damp, and wipe in the ears. You do not want any water in those ears- the only safe thing is the ear solution for a liquid. (since it is drying)

I just wanted to clarify these instructions with a bit more detail- being a first bully owner we may talk back and forth with the assumption that some of our tips are more common for cleaning. Hot water dries quickly, this is why a hot cloth is better for daily cleanings than a cold one. Wipe dry all areas as well.

Ask your vet about quadritop ointment if he thinks it is yeast. That stuff works great- and you can even put it in between the toes and on the chin- where you cannot put human anti yeast creams in those areas.

Please keep us posted, we want to help get your baby bacon in great shape!

Oh, one more thing you may want to consider is building up his immune system with a supplement. If you go to our sponsors page, we recommend NuVet Plus. This stuff is REALLY good for pups, it helps build the immune system up and helps with all the bad stuff. Especially during transitional periods, anytime the immune system can be comprimised. I give my bullies one tablet every other day (it gets expensive to give everyday to 5 bullies!) but if I am changing foods or notice any stress or anything I give everyday during these times.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Oh, one more thing you may want to consider is building up his immune system with a supplement. If you go to our sponsors page, we recommend NuVet Plus. This stuff is REALLY good for pups, it helps build the immune system up and helps with all the bad stuff. Especially during transitional periods, anytime the immune system can be comprimised. I give my bullies one tablet every other day (it gets expensive to give everyday to 5 bullies!) but if I am changing foods or notice any stress or anything I give everyday during these times.

Good tip, I wasn't aware there were supplements like this for puppies...especially with all the hip stuff!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Good tip, I wasn't aware there were supplements like this for puppies...especially with all the hip stuff!

There was some questions early on about this supplement, so I did some research and found it comes highly recommended. It is sold without the middle man- meaning you have to get it through someone who offers it (like we do). At first, I thought it was one of those things where people will become 'advertisers' just to make a buck, (I did not even realize we got anything for it, thought we only got a discounted price).... so I looked into it more. I decided from my own personal viewpoint that I wanted to continue to use it after my research. There are many other supplements out there- but I have spoken with the reps there and they all have dogs too- and my rep has been a professional breeder and show dog lady for many years. Another reason I say go for it. I have also notified them of puppy mills that I know of who offer their product on their website and they closed their contract with them.

OP
Bacon

Bacon

Sep 9, 2010
West Branch Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Thank you! I'm going to look into the supplements, and now that you say something about it I do remember our breeder telling us something about it... I think I'm going to talk to her and see what she uses, and Im going to look into the NuVet... for all i know they are the same thing. I'm still going to switch his food, starting today or tomorrow. I'm using new bowls, and on Friday Im going to see what the vet says about his chest, and Im going to get the ear cleaning solution and talk about the quaditrop ointment. Thank you for the advice, I feel like a bad mom since hes having these issues, but Im trying my best to get it taken care of!

Also the treats we have we got them from the same local pet store, there called Wellness WellBites, they are all natural, have no wheat, soy, or corn.

Last edited:
OP
Bacon

Bacon

Sep 9, 2010
West Branch Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Update:

We changed Bacon's food from Diamond Naturals Small Breed Puppy to Fromm Surf 'n Turf, and the results have been great! Bacon has stopped constantly scratching and rubbing himself on any surface possible! His chest has cleared up in color, along with his ears, and the best part is that we don't have to wipe his little bottom every time he goes the bathroom! He finally has normal :poo:! I am very happy that just this simple changed has mad such a difference! Thanks guys for all your help! :luv:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.