General Question Allergies

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Absolutely. In people as well as dogs. this is why so many bullys have them and why critters with allergies SHOULD NOT BE BRED. It might be a good idea to apply that statement to people too... (thus sayeth the Allergy Queen)

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hmmm... dunno really. I'm the only one in our entire family .. going back through the family tree and forwards so I would say NO or the rest of the family are VERY lucky.

I would vote for a not necessarily on this one. It's possible but not a certainty.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Never really thought about it... but I'm sure they are to some extent

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am not sure on this one. I think it is true to some certain degree. What is more likely is the body's defense against allergens and the process of developing antibodies. Unhealthy pets and how the pups are brought up in their early weeks of life and the care of the mom while pregnant I believe makes a huge impact on the pups ability to produce the antibodies necessary. But yes, again, i do believe they can be hereditary.

Then again out of a whole litter of pups, both mom and dad are healthy with little to no allergies, one of the pups can still be afflicted even though their littermates are not.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I just did a quick Google Search on that and there seems to be conflicting answers. It seems in general that it's difficult to say 100% but that genetics play a large part in determining if the dog will have allergies. So if you choose to breed a dog with significant allergies, you are definitely taking a risk that the puppies will suffere a similar fate. I have found that the predisposition or possibility of having allergies is greater when the parent has allergies but that it doesn't mean for certain that it will be an issue. To give a human example, my mom has had a lot of bad allergies. I have a twin brother and I had much worse allergies than my brother does. So it seems I was the lucky one whereas he bypassed most of that. He has had some environmental issues but nothing like mine.

Hope this helps! :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.