General Question Malectic ultra solution

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello everyone. My 5 month old puppy has had an ear itch since arriving from the breeder on June 28th of this year. At times lately he will even lick his paws and chew on his back paws. It is not bad but several times a day and I know something is not right. Well I brought him to the vet back 2 months ago and she diagnosed him with an ear infection and gave me some cleaning solution and a topical anti biotic cream. Well it seemed to help and then after searching around threads here and online I bought some Epi-Octic and used that because I was out of the other stuff. Well that really didn't seem to help much either. Then a woman I write to who is a breeder ended up sending me some of this Malacetic ultra and I have been putting some in his ears each day. rubbing it for 15 seconds or so and drying what is on the outside of his face and the inside as best I can.. Each time I use this stuff he goes crazy.. He runs around the house jumping and then finally dives his head into his toy box or a couch and I don't know if this is working or hurting him. Naturally I do not want to do anything to hurt my puppy or jepordize his health but I am just wondering if this is a normal reaction to this stuff because the Epi Octic or the "" Vet" labled stuff the vet sold me back a few months ago didn't make him react like this. I started changing his food from TOTW grain free salmon to Fromm's Beef friatta vegtable grain free. He does seen to like the new Fromms. I am mixing it bout fifty fifty. If this sounds normal or not I would appreciate any feedback regarding this Malacetic ultra. Thanks everyone,.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
My dogs hate this stuff too. But I wouldn't use it daily. If it isn't working I would see the vet.

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks - I may just do that. He never reacted to the epi-octic like that so I am just wondering. On the bottle ( it is a perscription from a vet over on the other coast a breeder I speak with sent to me) it says use twice a day on ears. ropes and tail pockets. Thanks Hero

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I only use it if there is a bigger problem going on... I use just malecetic otic for daily use. The ultra works great but it is more potent and has different active ingredients- one of which is steroid so I certainly would not use it daily unless you have a big problem you are trying to get rid of.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Ok I think I understand. I do not know what the problem is.. I do know he has had itchy ears and now he at times, even licks his paws, chews his hind legs ect. I am thinking yeast but what do I know I am not a vet. If in anyway I can save money from going to the vet I will try. Although if it was something serious. He would be there. I am changing. slowly but surely over to the Fromms and hoping this might be part of the problem ( his food) I didn't know not to use this stuff every day because on the bottle there is a typed script ( for this breeders dog) to use twice daily on Ears. ropes and tail pocket. Maybe I should just order the malacetic not the ultra? Thanks Hero

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Can you first look in his ears and see if you see any issues - are they just red or do you see / smell anything that indicates an infection? You dont want to treat something that doesn't exist- and putting in the Malectic might be making it worse :(

I'm sure someone on EBN has a good shampoo recommendation for the itchy feet and paws and take care of that quickly.

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
His ears if they don't get cleaned at least every other day can smell. I swear the Malacetic octic makes them smell vinergery. I do know why but there is a distinct vinager smell after using it. As far as shampoos I have been using Johnsons baby shampoo. I know there is oatmeal. all kinds and I rinse his coat several times to make sure it is all out but I don't know. I guess this will require a trip to the vet for a yeast test. O and I fogot to mention his ears look CLEAN. pink and clean although I cannot see way down inside. Thanks everyone. Hero

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
[MENTION=5798]Hero4u2b[/MENTION] i have used johnsons oatmeal baby wash just to wipe Herman down. but you might want to get a medicated shampoo to help with the itchy feet. or maybe if it is yeast, i believe rinsing his feet with Apple cider vinegar can help.

maybe stop putting that malacetic ultra in there, it could be too strong right now.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
His ears if they don't get cleaned at least every other day can smell. I swear the Malacetic octic makes them smell vinergery. I do know why but there is a distinct vinager smell after using it. As far as shampoos I have been using Johnsons baby shampoo. I know there is oatmeal. all kinds and I rinse his coat several times to make sure it is all out but I don't know. I guess this will require a trip to the vet for a yeast test. O and I fogot to mention his ears look CLEAN. pink and clean although I cannot see way down inside. Thanks everyone. Hero

I highly reccomend using Malaseb Shampoo. It's antibacterial and may help with his itching! If you go to the section of recommended products you will see 2 brands that would be good to use :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.