Help Needed! Black/dark ring around nipple, right after heat

LolasPuppet

A bad BOY, not a girl!
Jun 18, 2012
Ljubljana & Portorož, both in Slovenia, in the mid
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Lola just got through her first heat, now she has a black/dark ring around one of her nipples (and much less on another one), looking like dried blood.

LOLAnipple1.jpg

LOLAnipple2.jpg

Is this normal/common? What is it?

I rather ask here, before going to the vet yet again tomorrow. I'm starting to feel paranoid, going to the vet so often. :)

OP
LolasPuppet

LolasPuppet

A bad BOY, not a girl!
Jun 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
After careful inspection, it looks like she has a lil' bit of this around most of her nipples. Although on other nipples, it's barely visible.

I tried cleaning it, but it looks like it would need lots of HARD cleaning to come off. I would first like to be sure what it is. Could it just be dirt building up around nipples?:blink::confused:

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I don't know but I'm wondering - since their nipples do grow during their first heat could the growth caused soreness which either caused a small amount of bleeding or she did something to aggravate it (like rubbing against the rug or her bed or scratching)? Can you call the vet's office, explain the question and have a staffer ask the vet if she needs to come in? At my vets office sometimes the staff knows since they've seen it a lot before or the vet will send a message back later in the day. It might save you a trip. If you're going in a lot and they know your dog pretty well that may be all you need to do.

Gently wash and maybe peroxide them. Peroxide doesn't hurt and is about the best thing I know for removing old blood. That way you can see what it looks like underneath.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have no clue, but I will tag some members that might know [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I don't know for sure, I have never noticed that on any of mine. Might just be her skin pigmentation, because they will get black spots on their skin as they get older. Some of the others will be here soon and may can shed some light on the subject.

OP
LolasPuppet

LolasPuppet

A bad BOY, not a girl!
Jun 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
I don't know but I'm wondering - since their nipples do grow during their first heat could the growth caused soreness which either caused a small amount of bleeding or she did something to aggravate it (like rubbing against the rug or her bed or scratching)?
That's exactly what my layman's guess was. That nipple growth caused some skin tear or something like that.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am thinking it is the skin stretching, could be dirt that is now finding a little pocket to settle into. No chance she was around any male dogs I hope?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Even my male have this, it's dirt embedded. I use a q-tip when it bothers me. Jack has a inverted nipple that needs cleaning every week. It's harmless really. You can use almost anything to clean them. But I use a q-tip with MalAcetic Otic. I buy it from Amazon .

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I learn something new every day!!! :up:

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I missed this thread earlier - Herman has that too around all his nipples, especially when he was younger. Its indeed dirt. I freaked out and thought it was blood, or it was growing and ripping, etc as well :)

OP
LolasPuppet

LolasPuppet

A bad BOY, not a girl!
Jun 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
[MENTION=5580]elearn[/MENTION]: Yeah, the thing is that it doesn't really look like dirt to a newbie eye, more like blood.
I learn something new every day!!! :up:
Ha ha, me too. I'm starting to feel bad asking all these stupid newbie questions on this forum ... :ashamed: Ah well, that means less stupid newbie questions from me in the future ... I hope! :pray::D

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Quincy, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
So glad this topic was here. Today while giving Herschel a belly rub it noticed he had a dark colored nipple. I took a closer look at it and it came off! Turns out he has an inverted nipple and it was dirt! He is the cleanest pup I've known and no clue how it got dirty so fast. If I hadn't seen this thread I would have been freaking out.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.