Help Needed! Right sided heart failure secondary to pulmonary stenosis

ssesler

Sep 8, 2010
SW Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Oliver, and Truman
My Winston (4 yrs old) was just diagnosed with right-sided heart failure due to pulmonary stenosis. Weā€™re still in total shock over the diagnosis as he is our first bully and weā€™ve had him since he was a baby. We got him knowing he had a heart murmur, but the vet said it was only a grade 2 so we expected a fairly normal life for him. Heā€™s been fairly healthy (for a bulldog that is) and this came on just so suddenly.

The cardiologist said surgery to correct this is too risky. They gave him some meds to help control the clinical signs, but soon those meds will no longer be effective. I do have a call in to UT for a second opinion, but in the meantime Iā€™m wondering if anyone has had any experience with this and could give me any tips. What do I expect with this? Iā€™ve read all the horror stories online, but shudder at the thought of whatā€™s to come. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Winston.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would certainly get a second opinion, I am very sad to hear your diagnosis. Hopefully Kim can give you more information and help guide you because I am not sure if there is already failure. :(.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Wow. I wish I had some advice but all I have is a :hug: to give you. I would definitely get a second opinion, maybe even a 3rd.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
So sorry! I dont know anything when it comes to the heart but please keep us updated!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm wondering if you have a vet school near enough to take him to. These schools are up on all latest treatments and very often have reduced rates. Just a thought.

OP
ssesler

ssesler

Sep 8, 2010
SW Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
I took him to Bluepearl in KC. (About 2.5 hours north of me.) Great staff, but still am looking to get a second opinion.

The closest vet school with a cardiologist is MU. However, I took my other bulldog there and after 5 visits and many, many tests they diagnosed him with a urethral stricture and wanted to cut off his penis. I took him to UT and found out he did not have a stricture, but rather hydrocephalus and spina biffida. So needless to say I'm a little reluctant to take Winston to MU. Thanks for the suggestion though!

We drove 14 hours to UT, but if anyone knows of another vet school with a cardiologist, I'd be willing to give them a shot.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I took him to Bluepearl in KC. (About 2.5 hours north of me.) Great staff, but still am looking to get a second opinion.

The closest vet school with a cardiologist is MU. However, I took my other bulldog there and after 5 visits and many, many tests they diagnosed him with a urethral stricture and wanted to cut off his penis. I took him to UT and found out he did not have a stricture, but rather hydrocephalus and spina biffida. So needless to say I'm a little reluctant to take Winston to MU. Thanks for the suggestion though!

We drove 14 hours to UT, but if anyone knows of another vet school with a cardiologist, I'd be willing to give them a shot.

Jeeeeeeze..so much for THAT! We have quite a few teaching hospitals here and I've only heard great things about them. I'm sorry! You've certainly been through a lot loving Bully's!

stephayne

Sep 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Motley
I took him torl in KC. (About 2.5 hours north of me.) Great staff, but still am looking to get a second opinion.

Since you are in MO you should try oklahoma state university in stillwater, they have one of the top ranked vet schools in the US, sorry don't have actual Dr name for you but its worth a try, hugs to you!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh man, I'm so sorry! I hope you're able to find help for Winston. I have zero experience in this area. Just wanted to say, well I already it. I hope Kim comes along soon as she may have some info for you. :hug:

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
oh, geez, what meds did they give you for his heart failure? My two are not showing signs of heart failure yet, and they were both diagnosed with a grade 3 and I had echos done right away. Neither one of mine can have the surgery either Remy is almost one and Sebastian is almost 2 and neither one show any symptoms. They take 25 mg of Atenelol twice a day to help the blood flow through their hearts a little better. Luckily, I have Michigan State University 10 minutes from my home and that is where the boys see Dr. Sanders, their cardiologist. I would certainly find a way to get to a vet school closer than 14 hours. They are up on the latest techniques and meds and do have cheaper prices since they use it as a teaching opportunity for students. Remy just had to have his urethral prolapse fixed in June and the vet who did it had just published a new technique of fixing them and only charged me $100 to do it plus $150 for his neutering. Please let me know and sorry I can't be much help since I haven't experienced any heart failure symptoms yet.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh im sorry to hear this. i dont have any experience but just wanted to say i hope he will be ok. :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
oh, geez, what meds did they give you for his heart failure? My two are not showing signs of heart failure yet, and they were both diagnosed with a grade 3 and I had echos done right away. Neither one of mine can have the surgery either Remy is almost one and Sebastian is almost 2 and neither one show any symptoms. They take 25 mg of Atenelol twice a day to help the blood flow through their hearts a little better. Luckily, I have Michigan State University 10 minutes from my home and that is where the boys see Dr. Sanders, their cardiologist. I would certainly find a way to get to a vet school closer than 14 hours. They are up on the latest techniques and meds and do have cheaper prices since they use it as a teaching opportunity for students. Remy just had to have his urethral prolapse fixed in June and the vet who did it had just published a new technique of fixing them and only charged me $100 to do it plus $150 for his neutering. Please let me know and sorry I can't be much help since I haven't experienced any heart failure symptoms yet.

Kim maybe ask the staff at Michigan State if there is a good school for her that might be closer than UT?

OP
ssesler

ssesler

Sep 8, 2010
SW Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
Right now he's on:

Lasix 25-50 mgs twice daily
Spironolactone 25 mg twice daily
Enalapril 10 mgs twice daily
Vetmedin 7.5 mgs twice daily

I've also been to OSU with another bully and had a similar experience as I did with UT. Spent thousands of dollars for a misdiagnosis. They were convinced he had cance or some fungal disease. After 11 days of delaying the exploratory - and running tests for all kinds of rare diseases, I took him to my hometown vet, who did the exploratory for more than half the cost that they quoted me. Long story short he had chronic stomach gastritis. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful he didn't have cancer, but that was a very long 11 days and I felt horrible for putting him through all the testing (MRI, Spinal tap, CT, aspiration of organs, too many blood tests to count). This is why we drove 14 hours to UT. I've been told that Ohio State has a great vet program, but again, that's going to be another 14 hours or so. We're willing to make a drive, but if anyone knows of a place closer, I'm open to suggestions!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.