number of times you changed food until you found the 'right' one?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
hi everyone,

out of curiousity, how many times did you have to change your bullie's food until you found what's best for him/her? stig's going to be on his third starting tonite, first loyall puppy, then orijen puppy, now going to try fromm salmon and veggies. i'm hopeful that this is going to be the last change because i feel sorry that he keeps on getting hives.:( he seems to be walking towards me lately to get a back and back rub!

thanks in advance!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Honestly I am still trying new foods. I think on average you could change up to 5 times or even more. The trick is to be patient and wait at least 3 weeks to see what the results will be.

You got Fromm, that is great. I would recommend the grain free surf and turf next, if that one doesn't work. Or is that the grain free surf and turf?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I have not yet decided that I am done switching and I have to say in Cuttys 4 1/2 years we have gone thru a good 7 or 8 diff brands of food. Now we are trying the fromm also but the chicken. So far it seems to be good but we havent finished the switch over so it will be a while to decide how I like it. If this isnt my fav then I will try diff varieties of the fromm. Chicken being the cheapest and also the protein the boys usually eat I figured I would start with that one. It is a challenge and I agree just be patient. Once you do find one that works stop looking. lol. We have had some that worked great but then I switched in hopes of finding the "better" food. If you do that you will never be done switching. lol

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
We've gone through about 4 different foods. Samson was on like Iams when we first got him. I knew Iams was no good. Switched him right away to Nutro's Natural Choice, think it was chicken and oatmeal. I didn't realize Nutro wasn't all that great. So we switched to Innova adult when we was about 1.5 yrs. Didn't do Innova for too long because his allergies really started to develop at that point. Thats when we went to Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Fish, he did really good on that but I recently decided to switch to Fromm Surf & Turf. Even though he was going fine before I have heard so many great things about Fromm on here and I know it is a better food so decided to give it a try. It's been about a month with Fromm and so far so good.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
It wasn't until we joined this site that we realised just how awful the Beneful was that we had been feeding Maggie. We switched to Fromm Salmon n Veggies slowly over a period of two weeks and we are just SO pleased with it. It's like having a different dog so we've stopped looking! Although, I did just recently find out from reading one of [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] posts that I can change flavor as long as I stay within the FROMM 4* range so maybe I'll do that occasionally just so that Maggie tries different flavors.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I will let you know when we find the right one, it has been a challenge with Vegas, it seems like he will do OK for a while then he will get stinky and yeasty, this week I am going to try Avoderm lamb and rice

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
We're on food # 4 (the first three were awful foods that I feel super bad for feeding him for 3 years!). After joining this site, we switched to Nature's Logic Lamb (he has allergy issues with the beef and chicken, so we stick with the lamb). Horse is like a different dog now (it's been 3 months I think). He still gets yeasty from time to time, but I think it's from outside allergens because it goes away. I am wanting to try Fromm just because so many others love it, and I'm always wondering if he could look even better!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I am switching Bella over to Fromm Grain-free Surf and Turf, so far so good. This will be here 3rd kind, I have to be very careful. She was on Nutra from the breeder, then during weight loss we would add a can of Wellness puppy, but it didn't help. Once diagnosed she needed a grain free with a specific percentage of protein and fat: that is how we got on Natural Balance. Now Linda researched it for me and told be the Fromm's surf and turf would work well, She also recommends the Fromm classic for senior dogs for Abby and Sophie. When I went to the supply store to get some, they only carry the 4-star and Gold, so she said to me "there is no reason why they all can't be on this" Well yes there is for me, it is twice the price!!!! So I am keeping Bella on the surf and turf and I mail-ordered the classic for Abby and Sophie. I will tell you in the mean time, I have given Abby 1/2 and 1/2 and already see a difference in activity level and alertness!!!! I can't wait till she is on it 100% This will be about her 5th type of food.

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
I basically said to heck with going from one brand of dog food, this ,that or the other after my dogs breeder told me to flat out stop feeding her processed dog food. So she gets fed a diet of fruits, veggies and some meat (no beef, can do without the flatulence thank you ) And BABY FOOD, baby food is great for them and if you get the type with the chunks and not the puree even better. I figure I mix it with rice or some boiled , mashed potatoes or even cous cous and she loves it. Start with the small jars of baby food to find likes or dislikes and save $ from having large jars that don't get ate. Also Pepper gets either yogurt or cottage cheese daily, mostly at night, calcium they need for them big heavy bones

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Interesting ideas [MENTION=1222]Victor Y[/MENTION]. Finding the right food is tough and I am really tempted to just start making my own but, such is the speed of life, I haven't been able to. We are on our fourth food for Linus, who suffers with yeast, itchies, and a little fluff around the tummy. So far, so good on Nature Variety Instinct Turkey and Duck formula.

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
You may want to check the ingredient list on the store bought dog food you give him. If it has wheat or wheat by products you may want to stop giving it to him. It most likely is the cause of his itchies. Do he gnaw and bite around his lower legs and do you notice red welts and spots? That is from wheat allergy's.
I put a large list of foods not to feed bullies on that thread.
But I will add it here also. The list has Turkey skin on the list of No no's.(Skin allergy issue) Does Nature Variety have that as an ingredient? Most likely they do

Here is a list of no-no's for Bullies. Abide by this list, in the end you will be thankful that you did.

Chocolate (contains Theobromine)

Onions & garlic

Pear pips, the kernels of plums, peaches and apricots, apple core pips (contain cyanogenic glycosides

resulting in cyanide poisoning)

Potato peelings and green looking potatoes

Rhubarb leaves

Moldy/spoiled foods

Macadamia Nuts/Walnuts

Alcohol

Yeast dough

Coffee grounds, beans & tea (caffeine)

Hops (used in home brewing)

Tomato leaves & stems (green parts)

Broccoli (in large amounts)

Raisins and grapes (damages the kidneys)

Cigarettes, tobacco, cigars

Nutmeg

Raw Potatoes

Turkey skin

Voltarin (in arthritis medication)-Very Fatal

Baby Food that contain onion powder

Citrus oil

Fat trimmings (Can cause pancreatitis).

Human vitamins containing iron (can damage the lining of the digestive system)

Large amounts of liver

Mushrooms

Raw fish

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Well, so far I think I've been very lucky with Gertie and Ida, or maybe it's just that they're still young and haven't developed any issues yet. They were each on less than wonderful foods when I brought them home, so I did quite a bit of research and asking questions on here, before I decided to try Nature's Variety Chicken and Brown Rice. They've been on it a couple months now and so far, so good. They like it, they seem to have no problems. I also add a little of this and that to their food, to try to give them variety and the added extras they need. I get a variety of canned foods in the same brand, different flavors, and I add a tablespoon or so once every couple of days. I also add canned pumpkin a couple times a week, yogart and cottage cheese a couple times a week. They get salmon oil once a day. They also really like frozen veggies and shredded carrots on their food.

My St. Bernard, on the other hand, has been switched several times recently. He'd been on a REALLY crummy food and so I tried giving him the Nature's Variety and he had some sort of reaction to it. He panted and drooled and drank water like he was dying of thirst, so I got him right off that and tried Natural Life. That was great, his shedding all but disappeared. It was amazing! He shed so bad before, it was awful. Well, then I read the dog food ratings and it said Natural Life wasn't all that great, so we switched him to Kirkland brand which is what he was on when we got him at 10 weeks. It's a long trip for us to Costco, so we hadn't been feeding him that. Well, we've discovered, "if it's not broken, don't fix it!" The Kirkland brand is rated higher, but he's shedding like crazy again, so we're switching him back to the Natural Life. It seems to be the food best for him.

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Maximus was on 4-5 different dog foods before I found 2 that agreed with him. He came to me from the breeder being fed Eukanuba. He clearly had a reaction and allergies as a result of that food. I switched him to Innova, EVO, Orijen, TOTW, Canidae until I finally realized that he apparently had a "Grain Allergy". I switched him to FROMM Grain-Free Surf & Turf, and CALIFORNIA NATURAL Grain-Free Lamb Meal. He is a different dog. He is gorgeous, his coat is beautiful, and his skin is no longer red and inflammed.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
I will be starting Silva on Fromm (I believe it is the duck and sweet potatoe) on friday the local pet store had to order it for me. this will be her third food she was on Iams from the breeder and recently on California Natural Chicken but have heard such good things about fromm and cant wait to start it! I also started her on Herring oil (pretty much same thing as salmon oil) and have already noticed she feels softer! Also last week started her on pumpkin OMG she loves it, and her poops have been good!! lol! Thank goodness she doesnt have bad allergies so I have been lucky. Good luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.