Help Needed! My new (to me) EB is itchy...help me figure out the cause please!

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Oh and 'Plain benedryl' go for the Generic - we buy it by the MEGGA Bottle at Sam's :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Wow, tons of great info & help here! Thank you! I will keep coming back here to go through it all as I try to pinpoint what's causing this.

I think I'm going to start with this. It did seem like he was more itchy this morning compared to last night so I think it might be the place to start & I'll work from there. Hopefully I can figure it out soon!

GOOD LUCK.... please keep us posted

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I think @RaRett touched on everything I could have. I think the carrots from the stew were fine as long as they were rinsed first. Of course he love it too, heck I love chocolate but it doesn't love me, lol. Regular neosporin is fine but for Benedryl make sure it's straight benedyl, not one with an antihistimine in it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

:)

Benedryl is an antihistamine. What you don't want is a decongestant. This I know because I am an allergy queen and use all that kind of stuff all the time.

Actually it's acetomeniphen and ibuprophon ( non asprin pain relievers) That they should not have mixed with the Benadryl.

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=6126]LunchBox[/MENTION] check the guys ears to rule out gunk in the ear canal. you can rinse him in the tub with 1 gal of water mixed with 1cup of white vinegar and leave it on him. It will balance his ph level and help to stop the itch along with the benedryl .

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well you have lots of good info here so ill just say what i have learned with bullies and allergies. keep it simple. if adding things do it one at a time and wait for a bit before adding another. dont try to add to much. i use free and clear when i have to go to the store and seventh generation when i can get to the organic place. you can wipe with baby wipes till you get a handle on this and can shampoo again. i just used an oatmeal shampoo i got at petco but now i use malaket and im going to order duoxo shampoo. good luck.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Excellent advice above!!

I agree with sherry on the vinegar water rinse, and the salmon oil will help condition the coat so you can also bathe more often, it's wonderful for their skin.

If the rinse, benedryl and change in detergent don't help look into trying a new food, I would not change that just yet so you can identify a possible culprit here. Good luck!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
L

LunchBox

Sep 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
LunchBox
I realized that I had never updated! I stopped the foo-foo stuff & washed his bedding incase any of it had also soaked into that. I did use a free/clear detergent on the bedding in his crate but I just used the regular detergent for his other bed. And, I didn't give him anymore chicken. He stopped scratching within a day or so. I washed his crate bedding later on back in the regular detergent & he didn't start back scratching. SO, it was either the "foo-foo juice" or the chicken. I haven't tried either one of those again. I may eventually try giving him chicken again & watch him closely to see how he reacts. For now, the foo-foo juice is going in the garage sale box for this weekend! ;)

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Glad he is doing better! It will be interesting to see what happens if you add the chicken.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.