Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new (to me) EB is itchy...help me figure out the cause please!

Bully lovin' gypsy Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: My new (to me) EB is itchy...help me figure out the cause please!

@LunchBox dont get any fancy Benadryl - I've see "dye-free" and special types @linwhite said for cold and sinus, sugar-free, etc. get the straight old school Benadryl! 25mg pink tablets.

also, maybe in case something is on his skin you can just RINSE him off with some warm water (no juice, foo-foo or any other kind). i know sometimes, even when we was our hair or use soap, we dont get all the soap or conditioner residue off. and again, like @linwhite said wash everything in fragrance-free/dye-free detergent to get it off there too....

you're thinking of salmon oil as a supplement for skin.

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

Looks like you have enough advice here to last awhile, just wanted to wish you luck, and I hope you pup starts feeling better.

Bulldog(s) Names
    LunchBox
    Likes (Received)

Wow, tons of great info & help here! Thank you! I will keep coming back here to go through it all as I try to pinpoint what's causing this.

Maybe washing his bedding in hot water - and see if that takes care of it, is his itches worse in the mornings? is his eyes all red and itchy in the morning? if so, then I would suspect the bedding (all night in that bedding, wake up to red itchy eyes.... see where I'm going with it?)
    I think I'm going to start with this. It did seem like he was more itchy this morning compared to last night so I think it might be the place to start & I'll work from there. Hopefully I can figure it out soon!

Oogle Me on Google Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Oh and 'Plain benedryl' go for the Generic - we buy it by the MEGGA Bottle at Sam's

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LunchBox View Post
    Wow, tons of great info & help here! Thank you! I will keep coming back here to go through it all as I try to pinpoint what's causing this.

I think I'm going to start with this. It did seem like he was more itchy this morning compared to last night so I think it might be the place to start & I'll work from there. Hopefully I can figure it out soon!
    GOOD LUCK.... please keep us posted
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieCO View Post
    I think @RaRett touched on everything I could have. I think the carrots from the stew were fine as long as they were rinsed first. Of course he love it too, heck I love chocolate but it doesn't love me, lol. Regular neosporin is fine but for Benedryl make sure it's straight benedyl, not one with an antihistimine in it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

Quote Originally Posted by linwhite View Post
    Benedryl is an antihistamine. What you don't want is a decongestant. This I know because I am an allergy queen and use all that kind of stuff all the time.

Actually it's acetomeniphen and ibuprophon ( non asprin pain relievers) That they should not have mixed with the Benadryl.
    Last edited by LariP; 09-27-2012 at 07:53 PM.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

@LunchBox check the guys ears to rule out gunk in the ear canal. you can rinse him in the tub with 1 gal of water mixed with 1cup of white vinegar and leave it on him. It will balance his ph level and help to stop the itch along with the benedryl .
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LariP View Post

Actually it's acetomeniphen and ibuprophon ( non asprin pain relievers) That they should not have mixed with the Benadryl.
    Thank you for that clarification.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

well you have lots of good info here so ill just say what i have learned with bullies and allergies. keep it simple. if adding things do it one at a time and wait for a bit before adding another. dont try to add to much. i use free and clear when i have to go to the store and seventh generation when i can get to the organic place. you can wipe with baby wipes till you get a handle on this and can shampoo again. i just used an oatmeal shampoo i got at petco but now i use malaket and im going to order duoxo shampoo. good luck.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Excellent advice above!!

I agree with sherry on the vinegar water rinse, and the salmon oil will help condition the coat so you can also bathe more often, it's wonderful for their skin.

If the rinse, benedryl and change in detergent don't help look into trying a new food, I would not change that just yet so you can identify a possible culprit here. Good luck!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Bulldog(s) Names
    LunchBox
    Likes (Received)

I realized that I had never updated! I stopped the foo-foo stuff & washed his bedding incase any of it had also soaked into that. I did use a free/clear detergent on the bedding in his crate but I just used the regular detergent for his other bed. And, I didn't give him anymore chicken. He stopped scratching within a day or so. I washed his crate bedding later on back in the regular detergent & he didn't start back scratching. SO, it was either the "foo-foo juice" or the chicken. I haven't tried either one of those again. I may eventually try giving him chicken again & watch him closely to see how he reacts. For now, the foo-foo juice is going in the garage sale box for this weekend!

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

Glad he is doing better! It will be interesting to see what happens if you add the chicken.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads