General Question Pet Insurance

Loves Bacon

Aug 21, 2012
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Hello everyone,
I have been looking into pet insurance since we got Bacon. The issue is that they are very expensive. Do you mind sharing if you have insurance for your EB? If so do you find it worth your hard earned penny?

Thank you in advance

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348710801.591340.jpg

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Last edited:

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
I was given a free month of Trupanion from my vet after Buddys health checkup 48 hours after arriving from the breeder. It paid off his ear infection ( if thats what it reallty is) and he contacted parvo somehow even after being vacanated 5 times for it and my vets office faxed Trupanion my bill the day I picked Buddy up ( $1871.00) that was 2 weeks ago tomorrow. Well in a weeks times they have settled the claim ( $1,647.00) and already sent out a check for me , Of course I chose a 0 deductible and added the hip displasia option. I pay $139.00 a month but it has paid off and worth every penny.

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
Wow. I don't pay even close to that for our Trupanion. We have the $0 deductible as well.

angelIV

Aug 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
philly
We have healthy paws, w/ 200 ded. a yr 90% cov. We pay around 39 a month. It includes hip dis.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Trupanion WILL raise rates after a year. We have never had a claim and our rate went from $32 to $45. But in order to get at $45 I had to choose $500 deductible. Does include hip dysphasia ..and I'm sure it's worth it..but just wanted you to know rates will go up!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We have trupanion too and haven't put in a claim yet on it. I think we pay 39 a month as well, and we look at it from the stand point of, if we have it we won't need it. If we didn't have it something bad would happen and we would be out of pocket big time.

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Maybe rates went up but I first got a free month of it with my vet because it was a promo thing when Buddy arrived in June/ then I went online and did a consumers rating regarding the best health insurance for pets and Trupanion got much more and better reviews. Also There is a little sliding arrow. as well as breed of dog. age of dog ( cat or w/e) and I wanted NO deductible. I could pay less if I had more dedectible. The hip displasia is an added option. seperate which covers a few other things if I remember right ( I forgot) but that ALONE is a $39.00 upgrade with 0 deuctible..

Winslow

Aug 6, 2012
San Diego
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
I got Trupanion...I had the free trial too, and during that I had to file a claim for ear infection and skin stuff, and they were very prompt at sending me my check in a couple of weeks! I ended up signing up for the real deal, and I pay $65 for a $300 deductible with the hip displaysia package. Winslow had another skin problem, cost me almost 300, so I've already almost met my deductible after 1 visit.

ANyways, the key was (from what I read on some of the other threads on here, is to sign your eb up as just "bulldog" because thats what the AKC recognizes english bulldogs as....Initially, I had him as an english bulldog, and it was MUCH higher of a premium (stupid...:nope:). Looking at his paperwork, it sure enough does say "bulldog", so I called Trupanion and it was no problem changing it and the rates went down :2thumbs: Just in case, I also had the vet change it in their computer, so it matches when I send in receipts and stuff.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We had the trupanion and for the first year it was great, and yes we did have to use it for Maggie. Then after a year they more than doubled my monthly premium and came up with some crap about the vets increasing their fees so they had to do the same. Bull:poo:

To get the monthly payment down to anything like I could afford I had to accept a deductible of $450. As most of our vet visits have been under that it just seemed to be a massive waste of money.

They make you jump through hoops to get it cancelled too. Won't accept your cancellation until you've spoken to one of their customer reps and even then you have to get a letter confirming it's been done. In my letter they got Maggie's name wrong which did not impress me one little bit. Can't remember the name for sure now, but I think they called her something like Bentley all the way through the letter. :down::bitching:

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Intersting info. I am sure glad I had it for Buddy. I think it can be important for the first year of a puppys life then maybe after 5 years of age but it is always a gamble and ofcourse if your bullie has a pre-existing condition they won't insure. I am going to call trupanion and ask if Buddy can be changed under the bulldog. When I first started paying for it. I intentionally asked if he should be which because it had no english bulldog and the sales rep ofcourse changed it and upped the rate. I am going to call them tomorrow. I know they are open now but will wait till the morning. Thanks all

OP
Loves Bacon

Loves Bacon

Aug 21, 2012
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Thanks guys, I actually started the 1 month trial the other day and yes we listed her as an EB. I will call too and see what my rates would be if they list her as just a bulldog. If they even do it at all.

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
If anyone is still reading this thread. I called Trupanion because my rate WAS $139.00 monthly WITH the hip displasia. Well I called yesterday and asked about the bulldog and english bulldog rate and let the associate know that the AKC recognizes a bulldog AS an english bulldog and the woman on the phone said oo yes and told me my rate was adjusted and now my payment went from the $139.00 down to $101.00 monthly.. Thank you for mentioning that because it did change my payment and saves me almost $40.00 a month. I asked her or made the comment that I hope this didn't jepordize Buddys policy and she assured me it did not..

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.