Other Abby to the ER today (long, sorry)

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I left work early today to follow some job leads I'd been given. I got home to find Abby throwing up and shivering. This usually means her numbers are high and something needs to be done ASAP.

Her regular doctor wasn't in today so we saw someone new. This woman had heard all about Miss Abby even though she hadn't met or treated her yet. Apparently, the sweetie head is the talk of the building :) I'll get to that in a minute.

Her BUN (blood urea nitrogen) is up to 106 - normal range for that is 7 to 25. Her phosphorous is down to a completely normal level (YAY!!) and her creatinine has come down a little. Last month it was 4.8, today it was 3.8 (normal for that is between 0.3 and 1.4). The super high BUN is what is making her throw up and shiver and her skin is changing color (hyperpigmentation). She's also lost almost 3 pounds. My 30.1 pounds of Abbitude is down to 27.4 pounds :(

The doctor gave her a Cerenia injection for the nausea and put her on Reglan 3 times a day. Reglan used to be the go-to anti-nausea medicine for kidney dogs but they've since found Cerenia actually works better and doesn't hit the kidneys as hard. Abby gets both now, at least for a little while we hope.

They are working out a conference call for tomorrow afternoon with all of her doctors to see what can be done to lower her BUN and make her feel better. The problem is Abby doesn't like staying anywhere without me and the stress alone would elevate numbers. PLUS (and this is what everyone in the office is talking about)... she doesn't act anywhere near as bad as her numbers indicate that she should.

With her creatinine that high she should have no appetite at all. With a BUN over 100 she should be a lump on the floor. She shouldn't want to play or go outside or even walk. Abby eats like each meal is the first she's had in days. After her bowl is empty she comes to me and cries, whines and sings for more and grabs at it so fast you could lose a finger. As for the activity part of her disease, she kicks Otis's butt on a daily basis. Given all of the test results, she should NOT be behaving like this but she is and nobody understands how or why. She is the talk of the practice. They've taken to calling her the little miracle dog :clap2:

One of the things they will be discussing tomorrow is if they should do an IV flush. Usually with a BUN that high it is the first thing they do to lower it and it's been suggested several times in the past for her. But those dogs are usually very sick and in critical condition when that decision is made. Abby doesn't ACT sick. I asked if I could do the flush here at home and they will talk about that tomorrow too. If they put the line in, I can handle switching out the bags and keeping it clean. If I'm not mistaken, the only difference between that and what I do for her every night is that for one the needle goes under the skin and in the other one the needle actually goes into a vein. I hope that they decide that I can at least try it. 3 days in the hospital brings means kinds of things that I don't want to think about right now.

Right now she gets 300ml of subQ fluids a night. We are going to try to double that to 300ml at night, 300ml in the morning. Hopefully that alone will bring her BUN down to a more comfortable level. I just hope that's the right action to take. Since she is already uremic this could flood her heart and lungs and she could die of congestive heart failure. I don't know if I trust this new doctor enough to risk that.

On the upside, she hasn't vomited since the injection this afternoon.

So that was my day. How was yours?

Last edited:

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Abby is such a good girl! She is happy, not depressed and she is strong! She has you for great support and that is what is making a difference. Sounds like she has a lot of things going for her. I hope your conference call with the docs tomorrow leads to some ideas that will help her.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Sweet little girl. you got to bring her home anyhow, hope you get to do the flush at home. I don't know why you wouldn't be able too.

DesertBum

Sep 11, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Xena
WoW, guess you don't have boring days. Such a good thing that Abby has a great mom :clap2: Hope they get something figured out so that she feels better.

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
Oh Abby I am so sorry that you are not feeling good. I hope you start feeling better soon. Of course you know you have the best momma there is. You both stand strong.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Abby is strong and is gonna fight the fight! She is acting the way she is bc she has an AMAZING MAMA! Hugs and kisses to you both, Otis too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Oh sweet Abby, I hope you get to felling better soon. We will be thinking about you and keep you in our prayers.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Everytime I see one of your posts, I hold my breath and block the tears. My heart goes out to you, you are such a great mom and I wish I was closer to help you out.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
:pray: for Abby, and you! I sure hope she's able to get better and live a good full life. You sure have had a lot dealt to you lately. Will be thinking of you both!! :hug: :hug: :hug:

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
WoW, guess you don't have boring days. Such a good thing that Abby has a great mom :clap2: Hope they get something figured out so that she feels better.

After the month I've had? I'd sell a lung for a boring day. I'm not sure whose toes I stepped on but I think I've way overpaid whatever debt I owed to the universe lol

Abby is strong and is gonna fight the fight! She is acting the way she is bc she has an AMAZING MAMA! Hugs and kisses to you both, Otis too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have nothing to do with that. I can feed her the right stuff, make sure she gets her meds on time (for now) and love her to pieces (forever), but the attitude and spunk is all her. :havemyheart:

Everytime I see one of your posts, I hold my breath and block the tears. My heart goes out to you, you are such a great mom and I wish I was closer to help you out.

Breath woman!! If you turn blue and suffocate it will REALLY ruin my month :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online