tummy tuck-removal of teats--wanting info from anyone that has knowledge

pamela

May 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma and Annie
I recently adopted my Annie from rescue. she had been in puppy mill all her life, never, ever out of a crate. She is approx 4 yrs, she is doing awesome!! Has been spayed. But her teats are hanging almost to ground. They get wet and dirty when she goes outside, and can get bitten by ants or bugs. We spoke to vet about if removal of extra hanging skin was ever done. Yes, it is, especially if sores develop. He seen Annie, and agreed they are long. he advised to wait a few months to allow the mammory glads to shrink.
Has anyone ever done this? Would appreciate any thoughts or advice.
Thank You Pamela

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Poor Annie! Would you be able to let her wear a shirt for the meantime and see if that'll work?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Princess Gracie who is almost 6yrs. old was a breeder dog til she came here to rule the kingdom at 3.5 years old. She had the sever3 hangy down dangly thingies. ;) They have shrunk a lot since she has been here but still do hang down. As risky as anesthesia is I dont think we would ever consider having the removal/reduction done. She wears shirts a lot tho because it gives her a sense of security and honestly, she is just so damn cute in them so we have never had a problem with her danglies. :love:

marianne

May 17, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna
I adopted Jenna who was also used in a puppy mill as a breeder and they used her in between to feed other pups and she was dragging the ground. The rescue said with exercise she would shrink up, I really didn't believe she could ever shrink that much...Oh she is 3 and I adopted her in May...in the beginning she could only walk about a block...but we walked whatever she could manage twice a day and you wouldn't believe the difference in her in the past 4 months...she isn't shrunk completely but pretty close...probably the two teats in the rear are the saggiest but I swear when i first brought her home she was going to trip over them...I seriously thought of binding them because it seemed like all the flopping around would make her sore...I didn't....the vets & rescue said she would never look like a dog that's never had pups but she would shrink...in the front teats her nipples are bigger but almost tight...so this is my first bulldog and find most of my information on this site my opinion would be to walk her for awhile to see if you notice a difference...

OP
P

pamela

May 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma and Annie
Thank you-that gives me hope. We are up to 5 blocks round trip. We have to walk slow, as the breeder (and that is a kind way of referring to that person, and an insult to all reputable breeders) broke her foot and did not fix it, so she is pigeon toed and it turns in, but she is on the move. Plus she basically had to learn to walk, as she was never allowed out of the crate. She has only been walking about 2 months, and very little as getting out of the house was frightening to her. But she is getting much much better and loves to play outside. Plus she runs up ramps now. So I will definitely take your advice.
Pamela

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Thank you-that gives me hope. We are up to 5 blocks round trip. We have to walk slow, as the breeder (and that is a kind way of referring to that person, and an insult to all reputable breeders) broke her foot and did not fix it, so she is pigeon toed and it turns in, but she is on the move. Plus she basically had to learn to walk, as she was never allowed out of the crate. She has only been walking about 2 months, and very little as getting out of the house was frightening to her. But she is getting much much better and loves to play outside. Plus she runs up ramps now. So I will definitely take your advice.
Pamela

Thank you for rescuing her, a God sent. Her love will repay you in 10 fold. Such a good mum. I like the idea of a shirt even if it's just a little boys thin white tank shirt, it's something that would hold her up and make her feel secure like [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] has said. It does take time but they teats will shrink up. if she had a litter every season it may take a lot longer because of muscle memory

OP
P

pamela

May 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma and Annie
Thank you everyone-I feel better. She is a beautiful little girl, even with what that horrible person put her through, and did to her little body. I did not relish putting her thru anything that was not necessary.
Pamela

marianne

May 17, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna
she'll get there...it just takes time...Jenna is now running with the grandkids, jumping in and out of the car can also jump on the furniture...it's surprises me of the things she couldn't do before and i didn't notice until she starts..like scratch her ears...I couldn't have gotten a better dog if i paid thousands of dollars for her...she's such a sweetheart...it's amazing what good food, exercise and loving can do....good luck

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
So glad that you rescued her! :luv: You have some really good advice up above though.

I’m going to move this to the Health section now as it will help those researching the same issue. :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
No experience here...just wanted to say Bless you:flower:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Bless you for rescuing her, and she will give you years of love. Great info above with the shirt. It's a lot better than surgery.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
First off... THANK YOU for saving her and giving her a chance at a whole new life of love and fun!!

I used to work with a Cane Corso rescue group and I did see a few females come in with their teats to the ground --- it took a few months but they all pulled back on their own, give her sometime and do like others have said and use a shirt to help.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
When we first got HRH hers were long like Bruce said. A funny story: One day when we were walking around the block a neighbor boy probably about 6 or 7 years old said, "she looks like a cow." and we had to admit she did look like she had udders. :bigeyes2:

She still does dangle a bit at the very last set, but the rest have pulled up, except her nipples are very large and oddly shaped. I expect they always will be at this point. There hasn't been a change in a long time now.

It was partly because of her dangly bits that I wanted to dress her. And I buy and make things that do cover her chest. I was concerned about some protection from the snow, that first winter. Little did I know she would refuse to step in snow deep enough to touch her chest.:pigfly:
Daddy minion has to shovel a path for her first thing on snowy mornings. :coldout:

Now though it's entirely because she looks so darned cute dressed up! :flirt:

Last edited:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Pamela, you got some great advice here :)
Please give Annie a big hug and kisses from me and my boys. So good to see you on EBN again! :luv:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Thank you for giving her a new life! You have great advice. Be sure to overload us with pics :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.