General Question Ketoconazole 200 mg ?

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello everyone My 5 month old ebd has had itching problems with his ears since he arrived at 9- 1/2 weeks of age back in June. I took him to the vet after his first health check up for the breeders contract and she said OO he has an ear infection and perscribed an antic biotic and a cleaning solution.. Well it helped. a bit. I think possibly just masked what is wrong in there. I ended up doing research online and finding many people use epi-octic which I bought and still that didn't really help.. I speak with someone who is a breeder ( not where I got MY puppy) and she said to use this Malacetic and sent me a bottle which I have used a few times and it does seem to help. As well she sent me some pills that are Ketoconazole 200mg and told me to give him one in the morning and one at night.. My vet didn't perscribe these but I know this woman is a breeder and a member of the bca and shows her dogs.. I am a bit hesitent to give one them to him because they are not perscribed but just wondering if anyone here has used them for itching allergy problems with their bullie? Thanks everyone

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'll be honest ... I haven't used them but hopefully somebody who knows more about it than me will be along soon!!

Can I ask what you are feeding him??

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Sure Taste of the Wild Pacific stream salmom canine ( grain free) my vets sells royal canine but she also has a bunch of frenchies and I asked her tech what she fed her frenchies and it was fromms.. I am thinking about chaning over one day. I hear a lot of good things about Fromms..

L

Lucy-licious

They're an anti fungal medication....and tbh if antibiotics didn't help it possible these will as it may be a fungal infection as opposed to bacterial. I would maybe research the net regarding the correct dose though. My Lucy had a fungal infection as a puppy and we had something very similar..they cleared her tear stains too :dancing:

Ok quick search said 200mg twice daily is right :)

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
I looked as well before posting. I knew what they were used for but just curious about who might use these for their bullies? if it is common place? It did say they can cause liver damage that is why I was asking how many people may use this. Thanks Hero

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We switched our bully from TOTW to Fromm and he stopped chewing on his paws, it firmed up his :poo:, and he had less eye boogies as we call them. I'm no help regarding the medicine

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks Baconator..I am switching to Fromms. I just hear too many good things about it but which kind might I choose. I see they have grain free which I know I want but then I guess it is just a matter of flavor?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Fromm Beef Fritatta is not only grain free but is chicken free as well..... Many bullies are allergic to chicken. But, having said that HRH still licks her paws and is not totally stain free so it isnt the cure but helps eliminate many of the things bullies are allergic to. You may have other allergy issues such as eviromental issues,,, such as grass, carpeting, people,,,, could be anything.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=5798]Hero4u2b[/MENTION] i have never used this for sarah but all i know is its used in humans for yeast or fungus. not sure about dosing and such for dogs. im thinking for short term use it would be ok. i took that med myself one time for a month. as far as fromm goes most here use beef fritatta but other use the other grain free 4 star. then there are a few who use the other 4 stars not grain free. ok here is what i found on this for dogs.
What is the most important information I should know about ketoconazole: Do not give this medication if your pet is taking astemizole (Hismanal), cisapride (Propulsid) or triazolam (Halcion). Combined with these drugs, ketoconazole could cause serious, even fatal side effects. In rare cases, ketoconazole can cause severe liver damage. Notify your veterinarian immediately if your pet develops nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, unusual fatigue, loss of appetite, yellow eyes, itching, or dark urine. These symptoms may be early signs of liver damage.

What is ketoconazole: Ketoconazole is an antifungal medication. Ketoconazole is a prescription medication that is not FDA approved for use in animals; however, it is a commonly accepted practice for veterinarians to use this medication in dogs and cats to treat various internal and external fungal infections. Ketoconazole is also used to treat Cushing¿s disease. Ketoconazole is available as 200mg tablets. The usual dose of ketoconazole for dogs and cats is 2.2-13mg/pound every 12 to 24 hours, depending on the disease being treated.

What should I discuss with my veterinarian before giving ketoconazole: Do not give ketoconazole if your pet is being given astemizole (Hismanal), cisapride (Propulsid) or triazolam (Halcion). Dangerous or life threatening events may occur. Do not use this medication in animals allergic to it or similar medications. Tell your veterinarian if your pet has liver disease, or if your pet is being given antacids, stomach acid reducers or stomach ulcer medications. Tell your veterinarian if your pet is pregnant or lactating or if you plan to breed your pet.
How should this medication be given: Give ketoconazole exactly as directed by your veterinarian. If you do not understand these directions, ask your pharmacist or veterinarian to explain them to you. Ketoconazole should be given with food. Do not give ketoconazole within 2 hours of an antacid. Allow plenty of drinking water for the pet. Blood tests or other medical evaluations may be required by your veterinarian to monitor progress and side effects. Store ketoconazole at room temperature away from heat and moisture. Keep this medication out of the reach of children and other pets.
What are the possible side effects of ketoconazole: If any of the following serious side effects occur, stop giving ketoconazole and seek emergency veterinary medical attention; an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing, swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; hives); or liver damage (yellowish eyes, abdominal pain, unusual fatigue, or dark urine). Other less serious side effects may occur. If any of the following side effects occur, continue to give ketoconazole and talk to your veterinarian; nausea, vomiting, or abdominal pain; diarrhea; headache; dizziness; fatigue; itching. Side effects other than those listed in this guide may occur. Talk to your veterinarian about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome to the pet.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Nizoral Anti-dandruff shampoo also contains ketoconazole.
Hmmm?
I looked on our bottle of Selsun Blue and it does not contain it.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok here is what i found about that [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION]
[h=2]Why is this medication prescribed?[/h]Ketoconazole cream is used to treat tinea corporis (ringworm; fungal skin infection that causes a red scaly rash on different parts of the body), tinea cruris (jock itch; fungal infection of the skin in the groin or buttocks), tinea pedis (athlete's foot; fungal infection of the skin on the feet and between the toes), tinea versicolor (fungal infection that causes brown or light colored spots on the chest, back, arms, legs, or neck), and yeast infections of the skin. Prescription ketoconazole shampoo is used to treat tinea versicolor. Over-the-counter ketoconazole shampoo is used to control flaking, scaling, and itching of the scalp caused by dandruff. Ketoconazole is in a class of antifungal medications called imidazoles. It works by slowing the growth of fungi that cause infection.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
If I read right, OTC shampoos that have it are 1% and prescription ones are 2%.

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks for all the info. He vomited the other day. probably just a fluke but I am not giving it to him.. He DOES lick his paws and scratchs his upper shoulders on ocassion with his back paws. Not a constant thing but enough to make me wonder what is going on. I decided not to give it to him. I know the breeder who sent it to me meant well but I am not a vet and just do not want to chance it. I am changing over to the Fromms tho. definatly. Too many experienced people say good things about it and even my vet feeds it to her dogs . Not that I wouldnt use another vet if I knew how to find one who has a lot of experience with ebd's. Thanks everyone .. Hero

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
its ok we all have to do whats best for our bullies. there are other things for yeast that have no side effects that you can use. hope the fromm works. :2thumbs:

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Interesting. At the present time I use Johnsons baby shampo to bath Buddy. I haven't bathed him for about 2 weeks. I read not bath them too often because of washing the natural oils off their coats. something like that. I will be bathing him again pretty soon.. Not really because he needs it so much as I want him to become used to being bathed.. Thanks everyone, Hero

Most Reactions