Urinary tract infections in EB bitches.

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
I have a female,8 months old. As how the females tend to squat real low (almost touching the ground ) they are prone to urinary tract infections. My pepper has had one not long ago that I cleared up myself by cleaning her urethra with wipes and gently squeezing the infection out.
But she has one again and this time worse than before and looks like I may have to get her to the vet have her looked at and started on antibiotics. Thing is I am hesitant on the antibiotics because as this is an issue with the females I just don't want to load her up on antibiotics only to have them become ineffective due to over use.
Anyone have anything to share as to how you went about any PREVENTIVE measures?

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I have only dealt with it once with Abby, my 9 yo. She is older and tends to lay around more often, which means she holds it as much as possible. The vet put her on antibiotics and she cleared up. That is the only experience I have had. We have a pool and she sits on the top step often, she lays under the Sago Palm to keep cool and yet she has only had one. I am not sure if diet would cause something like that or not, but it sounds as if something that she comes into contact with daily is causing it. Good Luck

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
We use baby wipes on O every time she pees. Sometime (my vet says) the urine can pool down there and cause UTI's. Orion has had 1. She was "flushed" when we had her spayed. She hasn't had one since.

OP
Victor Y

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
After I wrote this post I heard from a Bulldog breeder and trainer the cause for this. Told me it was called Juvenile Vaginitis. It tends to clear up on its own and usually stops being much of an issue once they mature

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Interesting. That could be why O hasn't had one since. She just turned a year in June.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
After I wrote this post I heard from a Bulldog breeder and trainer the cause for this. Told me it was called Juvenile Vaginitis. It tends to clear up on its own and usually stops being much of an issue once they mature

That makes sense, same with the yeast infections in their girly parts. Once they go into heat, they wrinkles and creases fatten out and so the problems are less with bacteria getting trapped down there. I just gave Yuna her yeast preventative down there. She looks 100% better now, just with a few treatments of Animax creme. You know, I should have done a short video showing the yeast & bacteria and how it gets trapped in the folds for female puppy owners. Didn't even think about it. I suppose I could do one without a yeast problem tho anyway.

When Mandy was foaming and seizing Chip says "Did you video it so you can show our members the sign/symptoms of toad poison?" I said no I was a bit busy trying to save her life. Maybe next time :rolleyes:

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
When Mandy was foaming and seizing Chip says "Did you video it so you can show our members the sign/symptoms of toad poison?" I said no I was a bit busy trying to save her life. Maybe next time :rolleyes:

I walked around for weeks with the video camera in my hand trying to catch one of Vegas's seizures. And I was anticipating that. I can't imagine trying to grab a camera when something like the toad poisoning was going on. You would have had to have your 8 year old video it...Is he 8? Everyone else was either too young or helping out.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I walked around for weeks with the video camera in my hand trying to catch one of Vegas's seizures. And I was anticipating that. I can't imagine trying to grab a camera when something like the toad poisoning was going on. You would have had to have your 8 year old video it...Is he 8? Everyone else was either too young or helping out.

He is 12, but I still never even thought about it. Don't ever want to have to again either.....:( I get sick to my stomach even thinking about it- I dont know how you do it with the seizures. Does Vegas ever loose so much control he just starts pooping when it happens? I need to watch your video, can you lead me to it?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online