Other Sarah is a little different now

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well as some may know and some may not Sarah had an emergency spay a couple of weeks ago. She developed a uterus infection called pyometra and it was very serious and life threatening. She had the surgery and is totally fine now but i wanted to note a few things for people who maybe on the fence about getting their dog fixed. I tried to have Sarah fixed a couple of times a few years ago but well noone wanted to do it as she was overweight. Well i didnt know any better so i just said ok i wont get it done. Well i wanted to share some things ive noticed since i had it done.

First thing i noticed was she looked different. She looked thinner in the face. Hm ok then i noticed after a bit her whole body looked thinner. I thought maybe she was losing weight and yes i believe she was but it was some fluid weight. I never realized that her puffiness seems to be due to retained fluid. Well i didnt notice she was puffy till now. She looks so thin and so much less puffy now its amazing.

Next thing i noticed is her allergies. Well they are so much better after her surgery. Now im not saying they are all gone but wow there is a difference. Her chin redness and acne is gone, her feet redness has cleared up alot, her nose is not as runny and i dont have to give her as much benadryl, and she is not so HOT anymore. Over the last few years she has gotten so she was very hot unless it was real cool in the house or outside. I was very jealous of peeps who took their dogs to parks and places. I was like how can they do that isnt their bully hot? I would take sarah to the lake when it wasnt that hot and have to bring her home as she would sit and pant the whole time. Now she is so much cooler. Wow what a difference. I dont have to have the air on all the time to keep her cool.

Next thing i noticed is she is more loving now. Im not saying that she is ms cuddle bunny but she is slightly more loving and just generally seems to feel better all around. Now this has not been through her whole life but as she got older her quality of life did go down alot and it seems it was because i did not get her fixed. If i could go back and do it again i would have had it done a long time ago. There were times she seemed in pain and just not feeling well and i just thought it was her leg or hip. Now im wondering if it wasnt her uterus.

Im posting this so that other bully owners who maybe dont know about this or maybe are on the fence about getting it done or are maybe afraid to have it done. yes sometimes things happen when they do this operation im not going to lie. They are bullies after all but things can go wrong in any operation but that doesnt mean it will and most of the time it doesnt. I was afraid to get it done to but I can tell you the benefits seem to far outweigh the risks to me. Im not just talking about females either males need to be neutered to. They have risks to if it is not done.

Everyone has to make up their own mind about this and decide what it best for their pets but Im just telling you of my experience with it and that seeing her quality of life now and what it has been the last few years well its an easy decision for me.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Thank you for sharing that Sandra. It's so wonderful to hear that Sarah is doing well both physically and emotionally. :2thumbs::heartsign:

L

Lucy-licious

After Sarah was rushed in so poorly Chris and I sat down and talked about Lucy. We have made the decision to get her done and will be talking to the vet about it at her wellness check next week :hug:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well..Miss Sarah is very lucky she has such a great mommy! I love that she seems so much better!

BUT...:shhhh: The whole keeping the air conditioner going for the Bully..keep that to yourself ...okay??? That's why our house HAS to stay so cool..FOR JAKE!!!!! not me..:nope: ALL for him!!!!

:ROFL:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Great story, and glad she is doing better. I also believe in spaying and neutering your bullies if you are not going to breed them.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a great story and information! thanks for sharing --- so happy Sarah is feeling and looking better!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am so glad she is doing better!! What a great story to share with those who are on the fence about doing this. Give her a kiss and a :hug:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
There are a bazillion GOOD reasons for getting your pet spayed or neutered --- and here's one more GREAT one. For male dogs, the risk of testicular cancer is eliminated - among many other things.

I'm so happy for you and Sarah.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online