Any recommendations on treating tail pocket(tight tail) yeast??

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
As some of you may know Mr.Beefy has had a plethora of issues in the past 4 weeks that I've had him. We still have abscesses ( anal gland) even with the antibiotics and now i have noticed the yeast in his tail pocket looks worse!!!! I have been wiping it with vinegar and keeping it dry I also put an anti yeast ointment on it about 4x a day. Does anyone have some helpful hints or recommendations? Me and Mr. Beefy would be VERY GRATEFUL!!!:confused:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
What kind of anti yeast ointment?

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
AWWWW I am so sorry for Mr Beefy. and I am sorry I can't help. I have never had a bully with a tail pocket.

As much as I have gone through for my Bullies, with what I hear can happen, I count my blessings. Hope you can get help from all this soon.

OP
gatorfan85

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
He had yeasty ears(horrible) when i got him and they prescribed Remicin Ointmenwhich worked wonders on his ears they are yeast free. for his tail they put him on clyndamycin (for anal abscess also)and an otc yeast ointment(womens). When we went back they gave me baytril for the abscess and said to keep with the otc ointment for his tail. I feel bad for him because we cant even let him sleep in the bed due to his oozy butt and stinky tail.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I'd really look into the tail amp. It will make both you and him much happier. The only difference is we always wipe Vegas's bootie after going outside. Just so we know he has a clean butt when sitting on the fur-niture.

OP
gatorfan85

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
I'd really look into the tail amp. It will make both you and him much happier. The only difference is we always wipe Vegas's bootie after going outside. Just so we know he has a clean butt when sitting on the fur-niture.
I already have to wipe his bootie lol so I think a tail amp and an anal gland removal are in his VERY NEAR furture. Did you have it done at CreekSide?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
He had yeasty ears(horrible) when i got him and they prescribed Remicin Ointmenwhich worked wonders on his ears they are yeast free. for his tail they put him on clyndamycin (for anal abscess also)and an otc yeast ointment(womens). When we went back they gave me baytril for the abscess and said to keep with the otc ointment for his tail. I feel bad for him because we cant even let him sleep in the bed due to his oozy butt and stinky tail.

This just does not sound right to me. Seems like there is another underlying problem that is not getting fixed. How long have you been treating this? Perhaps you should go get a second opinion.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I'm in Washington state. I had mine done at a place called Edgewood. I've been told that I got a great deal on the procedure...mine cost (including take home meds) under 850.00. The dr was awesome and knew what he was doing. I have no complaints and I would do it again if Orion needed it.

OP
gatorfan85

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
This just does not sound right to me. Seems like there is another underlying problem that is not getting fixed. How long have you been treating this? Perhaps you should go get a second opinion.

I've only had him about 4 weeks. He was on eukanuba dog food and the vet recommended the Evo Herring so we did the (slow switch). The people who had him DID NOT care for him properly. Ears hadnt been cleaned in idk how long, his nose rope was disgusting, the tail....lets just say the smell that came from there just got out of my car. The vet said his anal glands were very impacted from poor hygeine. :confused:

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Yeah, I have to agree with [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] - something is amiss here and it sounds like an underlying allergy issue. He may well need a tail amputation but before you take it off, perhaps try another food or other potential allergens because my bulldog Linus was on Remicin, Baytril and a slew of other goodies for ear and skin issues. A change in diet has helped him clear up a lot.

OP
gatorfan85

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
We've only been "fully" switched to the Evo for about 2 weeks and i seen on similair posts with food it takes about 4-6 wks to notice the switch. I also give him organic yogurt and cranberries (frozen) . Hopefully this will help ,I just have to wait and see I guess.

Ann Farley Hamilton

Jul 21, 2010
Brookline, NH
Bulldog(s) Names
Hamilton's Irish Mack we call him Mack and Blossom
My Mack is 4 and according to our vet has the tightest cork screw tail he has ever seen. He has only had an infection twice in his 4 years, once when he was 12 weeks old and I didn't know any better and when he was 2 and I had to go away. If Mr Beefy's tail is infected now he needs to be on an antibiotic and you may need to clean the pocket 2 or 3 times a day till it's cleared up. When Mack's was infected I would stand him the tub and wash it out with warm water, you have to really get inside the pocket to make sure you get everything out. To do this I use an ear or nasal ball that they use on babies to clear their noses. Mine has a very narrow end so I can really get it in there, just suck warm water up into it and flush out the pocket. Then you have to make sure you dry it out very very good I use the square facial pads and q tips to really get in there. I never use any kind of ointment or anything like that on his pocket as it only adds to making the problem worse. I clean his tail pocket daily I flush it out with warm water and then dry it. Once i dry it out I have wipes from Glen Haven products that have medicine in them for yeast, I then wipe it all out with a wipe so nothing gets started in there. These wipes are great the medicine is very drying to so that helps a great deal. I use the F3W F is for fungus, the 3 for the strength and the W for wipes. Go to Glen Haven's web site they charts that show you all their products. I swear by their stuff don't know where I would be without them, Mack probably wouldn't have a tail. Please try this for Mr. Beefy as my vet said unless it's infected all the time you really do not to amputate his tail. To many small veins and things that go to other places. let me know if I can help in anyway.

OP
gatorfan85

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
[MENTION=897]Ann Farley Hamilton[/MENTION] I will def try these wipes!!! I've only had Mr.Beefy 2 mnths now and he has been on countless antibiotics which they just stopped because they said it count be making it worse. I am now using Monistat(i know that sounds crazy) and the peroxide and corn starch mix . I clean and dry his tail about 8x's a day due to fact that his tail and butt are so close and his ruptured anal gland is still healing. I also heard that the surgery is a last resort, Mr.Beefy is 3 and 70lbs so the vet said he wouldnt want me to do it unless there was no other remedy.

Ann Farley Hamilton

Jul 21, 2010
Brookline, NH
Bulldog(s) Names
Hamilton's Irish Mack we call him Mack and Blossom
Really stop putting any kind of cream in there as it really makes it worse. Peroxide shouldn't really be used as it doesn't know the difference between good skin and bad and will kill of the good skin to. Just use warm water and then dry and use these wipes I can't say enough about them they saved Mack's tail. Also just make sure he's on a good no grain food as that helps a great deal, Mack eats Taste of the Wild dry food it's a 6 star rated food has done wonders for him.Wiping of his butt every time he poops, I just use a flush-able wipe for that, I keep saying I'll be wiping butts for ever. Please give this a try I think you'll see a difference in a few days. Good luck and please don't hesitate to ask for help from me or anyone on here.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.