Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my bulldog overweight? And, any Vet suggestions for Waco, TX area?

Bulldog(s) Names
    LunchBox
    Likes (Received)

Default Is my bulldog overweight? And, any Vet suggestions for Waco, TX area?

We adopted our very first bulldog tonight & I have a small concern about his weight. My husband believes he looks very healthy & not overweight but I just want to make sure. I don't want his weight to cause a problem with his health. He's currently 21 months old & at his last vet visit in August, he weighed 72 lbs (going by his records). Does this sound excessive at all? The previous owners had him on Pedigree food & I will be looking in town tomorrow for a healthier option for him to switch over to. What do you think?

My other question is regarding Vet suggestions for the Waco, TX area. We are considering having him neutered but would like to find a vet that is more knowledgable in the breed so that we can be sure he's kept safe as possible. Thanks for any suggestions you can offer!

Bully lovin' gypsy Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Herman
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is my bulldog overweight? And, any Vet suggestions for Waco, TX area?

Congratulations on adopting your first bulldog! You should be able to feel his ribs and his spine. He waist should go in (like an hour glass shape) when looking down from the top. His tummy should also be "tucked up" behind his ribs when looking at him from the side. That will allow you to determine if he's a healthy size and doesn't have a lot of fat. Bulldogs have a lot of muscles and muscles are HEAVY.

Can you post some pics? @cowsmom is wonderful when it comes to food, she's given me some great advice! I'm feeding Herman Earthborn Great Plains Feast currently - but that might change due to some advice she's given me about food allergies. It's a great grain-free food that you can try if you can find it.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Is my bulldog overweight? And, any Vet suggestions for Waco, TX area?

You know it's so hard to say if he's overweight without seeing him. Elearn gave you great advice and 72 lbs is on the heavier side for most of our Bully's, but it might be fine for him. Pedigree is really a low rated food. It's full of fillers and junk. The best thing you can do is do a slow transition to a better food. Jake is also on Earthborne's Great Plains Feast. But every food won't work for EVERY Bully! There are many great options in our Dog Fiod Ratings page. And @cowsmom can certainly help you too! Just do a slow switch, over a 10 day period. Let us know and we will give you exact directions! I hope someone can help with a Bully vet! Did you check out the Vet Recommendation page?

Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily
    Likes (Received)

You got some great advice.
    can you post a pic?

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

Im at work will post later if its still needed

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

Heres a really good pic of HRH demonstrating her hour glass figure like @elearn described so well.
    Boys will be more full bodied and muscular than she is, although she has a pretty perfect bully build for a girl.
    But, they should still have a waist like she does.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Can you post a picture of Lunchbox... looking down like the picture of Gracie?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

ok @LunchBox were you looking for a grain free food or one with grains. also did you want one that you can buy locally or will you order? just will help with what food for you to get.

Bulldog(s) Names
    LunchBox
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for all the tips!

I went & felt of him & can easily feel his spine & ribs with no problem. I do think he has the idea of the figureglass shape. I tried to take a picture of him looking down with not a lot of success. I needed to switch my camera lens to my wideangle zoom since I wasn't tall enough to get his entire body in the frame. I'll post the picture below. Does that look ok to you with that weight?

I found the dog food rating page someone mentioned & went to a local petstore here on Friday afternoon. I ended up trying Blue Buffalo-Freedom Grain Free. When I bought it, I was thinking I had remembered the rating being 5 or 6 stars but came home to see it was rated at a 4. Better than the Pedigree that is only at a 1 but I'm not sure if I bought the correct food or not still. Next time, I might need to bring my iphone with me with the ratings already up so that I can scroll through them & find them in the store. Should I switch again once we run out of food or stick with this one for awhile?

Ok, here's the picture of me trying to get the top of him

Bulldog(s) Names
    LunchBox
    Likes (Received)

cowsmom-
    I assumed I'd just buy locally but I haven't priced online options. Any places you'd recommend looking into for buying food at?

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Petflow carries all the best foods and are a site supporter use coupon code Englishbulldog and get free shipping over $49

Looking at the pic from my iPod I think he is not overweight.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Bully lovin' movie buff Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

I think he looks good! He looks like a healthy boy ot me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads