General Question feeling positive about the demodex

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Herman goes back for another scrape tomorrow. This will make 4 weeks. I'm feeling a little positive because he hasn't gotten any more spots and the ones he has didnt get any larger. In fact, I cant even find the one on his thigh anymore.

The one on his shoulder is still very visibile, but the skin has now turned black - is this a good sign? I read that hyperpigmentation like this is the skin's way of fighting back.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like it's getting better!! So glad!! Let is know how the vet visit goes :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
I hear you elearn. Gunny had a small spot on the side of his face. We were lucky and caught it early and didn't have any other areas. We have been using the topical meds. We went in yesterday for another scrape. The vet said his original scape had 25 per whatever and now he is down to about 5. Still on topical and we delayed his next set of vaccinations for a few weeks so that his immune system won't take a hit. Let me know how your scraping went. Good luck.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
That's great news, so let us know how the vet visit goes.

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I hear you elearn. Gunny had a small spot on the side of his face. We were lucky and caught it early and didn't have any other areas. We have been using the topical meds. We went in yesterday for another scrape. The vet said his original scape had 25 per whatever and now he is down to about 5. Still on topical and we delayed his next set of vaccinations for a few weeks so that his immune system won't take a hit. Let me know how your scraping went. Good luck.

Good idea to delay the vaccinations because I think that zapping Herman with all those shots - plus his raging hormones - contributed to everything. It was just so much at once for his immune system.

It's wonderful to hear that his "per whatever" numbers are down!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The one on his shoulder is still very visibile, but the skin has now turned black - is this a good sign? I read that hyperpigmentation like this is the skin's way of fighting back.

so good to hear it seems to be improving... fingers are crossed!! Not sure about the hyper pigmentation, I'll look it up later.

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Would love to see pictures. Curious on what it looks like.

He wasnt being too cooperative, but this one I think shows how dark the skin has gotten. He has the same discoloration on the one on his thigh (I eventually found it)

DSC00432.jpg

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you that would be so helpful!!!

Only thing I found in relation to this is 'red manage' which just means the blood has increased in the infected area causing the skin to be red

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I asked the vet about the dark skin.... she said it's because he's getting older and his skin is getting dark???? I'm not sure I believe that.

But she said she didnt see anything in his skin scrape!! That's great news. I had even found a couple more spots this morning when I was brushing him outside - she scraped one of them and said it might not be demodex. So we'll go back in a couple of weeks to see if he's still negative - WOOOOO HOOOOO!

As for the IDC, she said it looks like its just scar tissue right now - I'm not sure about that either - but she did also say she can tell that his mommy takes very good care of him :)

He's also been more of 'himself' lately - which means, he's biting my ankles :(

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I asked the vet about the dark skin.... she said it's because he's getting older and his skin is getting dark???? I'm not sure I believe that.

But she said she didnt see anything in his skin scrape!! That's great news. I had even found a couple more spots this morning when I was brushing him outside - she scraped one of them and said it might not be demodex. So we'll go back in a couple of weeks to see if he's still negative - WOOOOO HOOOOO!

As for the IDC, she said it looks like its just scar tissue right now - I'm not sure about that either - but she did also say she can tell that his mommy takes very good care of him :)

He's also been more of 'himself' lately - which means, he's biting my ankles :(

Cover those ankles!!! Good thing the cooler weather is coming...... so happy he is getting better.

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Thanks all! I'm keeping and eye on it - and it actually look like I see some little hairs growing in the large spot now....possibly. :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online