Help Needed! How to Gain Weight the Healthy Way?

Sep 3, 2012
Lawrence, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Dent
So, Roxy has been with us now about a month and a half, and behaviourally she is coming around nicely.

We swapped her food to the Blue Buffalo, and she took really well to it. She is eating about two bowls of food per day now...

The problem is, she is STILL really not gaining much weight. She still looks VERY skinny, and I was wondering if there was something else I could feed her (without overfeeding) that would make her put on a few pounds? I'm wondering if some of the thyroid medication she should never have been on is still in her system affecting her weight gain progress? If that is the case, how long do you think I should wait before getting concerned?

I'm trying to keep her as healthy as humanly (canine-ly!) possible. Her coat is slowly improving/growing back, and she is very happy and active... I am really just concerned she is not getting any bigger. :(

Any advice?

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I take it she has been wormed. Our cat had to be wormed 3 times to get them all! I don't think thyroid med. would still be in her system affecting her metabolism after that length of time. If she can have dairy and eggs a small bowl of cubed cheese, cottage cheese, and chopped hard cooked egg daily will put on weight.

OP
Raspberryswirl
Sep 3, 2012
Lawrence, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Dent
Yes, she's been checked for worms and does not have them...

I will try the dairy... and possibly the egg, but won't that make her fart? XD

Most Reactions