Help Needed! ear swollen shut

Stanley Senn

Sep 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Stanley
I posted this on another forum but this one looks better suited. Stanley's ear canal is almost swollen shut, he is on meds but the dr. said he may need a Total Ear Canal Albation (removal of the ear canal). This is his fist ear infection (he is 2 years old) and I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with this, or better yet, treatments that we could try to help his ear. We'll definitely try everything possible before resorting to a surgery. Right now he is on an antibiotic/steriod drop. Thanks in advance!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
:hiya: Welcome to the site. I have no experience with the procedure but Brutus has a pretty bad ear infection about a month or so ago. We used PhytoVet CK Antiseptic Flush 2x a day and Mometamax liquid antibiotic inserted in ear no oral meds. Im not sure what meds you have tried? Can you post some pics

I would try getting a second opinion before having the surgery done. What area are you in? There may be a vet on the Vet Recomendation Page.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I agree .. I would opt for a second or even a third opinion before what sounds to be a very invasive surgery!!! :nope:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would definitely get a second opinion before surgery.

Josie

Sep 2, 2012
Mississippi
Bulldog(s) Names
Chuffy
Our 2-year old Olde English Bulldog had something that sounds similar to this when he was about a 1-1/2 years old. My husband and I thought he had ear mites and treated him for that. It only got worse, because the problem was actually fungal and bacterial infections in his ears. We took him to our local vet, who gave him a deep ear cleaning under sedation. Within 24 hours, his ear canals were completely swollen shut and he was effectively deaf. We were panic and grief-stricken, as we love our boy dearly and felt we had really let him down. We took him to a university vet about an hour from where we live, and they diagnosed the the fungal/bacterial infections, gave him new meds, and he was all better in about a week. He still has recurrent ear problems, but we know what it is now, and I have switched him to a raw food diet to help with his allergies. Maybe you could ask your vet if this sounds like what's wrong with your baby. Here is a list of what they gave our boy:

Cerumene (liquid med to put in the ear)

Mometamax Otic Suspension (liquid med to put in the ear)

Clavamox (antibiotic pills)

Synotic Otic Solution (drops)

Best of luck and please keep us posted! :heartsign:

Josie

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Wow, that's quite a recommendation for an ear infection!

My bulldog, Linus, has had some very serious ear infections, including having his entire ear canal swollen shut and severe trouble with equilibrium - and this type of treatment has never been indicated to me.

First, a high potency steroid, which can be given through a shot or tablet, will take the inflammation down and open the ear canal. Linus was on Prednisone for this and it did open his ear up. This, coupled with the antibiotic, should give you the upper hand on the infection and help clear it up.

Second, once the ear is open, you can clean it with anti-microbial and fungal solutions (we use Glen Haven formulas) to help loosen the wax and debris and keep the ear infection free.

Ear drops, like Remicin, also helps cure and prevent ear infections.

The most invasive procedure that was ever discussed with me was scoping Linus' ear to deep clean it and check to see if the infection damaged his ear drum. This was not needed since his ear, with proper cleaning and medication, healed on it's own.

So I would also advise a second opinion since there are plenty of different options that are far less permanent and invasive.

Good luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
some excellent advice here..... please keep us posted on Stanley!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Wow [MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] great advice!!

Please let us know what happens, prayers for your bully :hug:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.