General Question Bordatela question

tanito00

Aug 20, 2012
Northern Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
So I've read on a couple threads here about bordatella. Like many have said is like a flu shot and you can only hope you dont get that specific flu and what not so my question is. Is this shot a necessity for dogs I mean the darn thing is 40 dollars its quite expensive and I feel that if its not necessary I can be putting those 40 dollars to a better use like buying Ellie more toys or treats and what not. Then the answer you get from the vets office oh yes its strongly recomended bla bla bla but I feel as if that shot is a rip off like I personally dont spend 20 dollars or what not to get a flu shot is not worth it and if you do get sick go get some meds and treat right then there I mean thats what you do with your bully anyways even though he/she is up to date with that bordatella shot. Ok rant over Im on recieve advise/comments mode.....and go...:2thumbs:

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I think it is necessary if you are going to be taking your dog to public places with you, if you enroll her in obedience classes, or even to the dog park. Any time she comes in contact with strange dogs that you don't know the shot history of, you are taking a chance. All three of mine get their bordatella shots yearly because they go places with us where other dogs are also.

If she is not going to be leaving your home and has limited contact with other dogs, then I say you can probably forego giving her the vaccine.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree, if they are only going to be at your house then you can skip it, but if you talk them places then it's a good idea to get them their shot.

DesertBum

Sep 11, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Xena
I've heard pluses and minuses on bordatella. The last dog that we rescued from the pound came to us with kennel cough and my others did not seem to contract it because I do get them their shots. The one that did have it was cleared up with with a few pills that cost about $20, luckily I didn't have to pay for the vet visit, because I got 1 free visit for rescuing the dog, but would have had an office visit charge on top of that.

I don't have a bullie (yet), so don't know how much more they may be prone to contracting it, if at all or what effects it may have on them?

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I agree with everyone else. Bruin & Lilly do not get the bordatella shot b/c they are not around other dogs and they do not get boarded. If they were going to dog parks all the time and were around a bunch of dogs I didn't know, then I would think about getting them the vaccine.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I think it is necessary if you are going to be taking your dog to public places with you, if you enroll her in obedience classes, or even to the dog park. Any time she comes in contact with strange dogs that you don't know the shot history of, you are taking a chance. All three of mine get their bordatella shots yearly because they go places with us where other dogs are also.

If she is not going to be leaving your home and has limited contact with other dogs, then I say you can probably forego giving her the vaccine.

Agreed! Also, if you do plan to do day care or kennel/overnight stays -- the place will require the shot

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We are getting Bacon's done tonight because he is going to be staying overnight at a kennel, and I'm going to make sure he gets the shot not the nasal inhaler thing because I've heard horror stories about it on here w/ bullies.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
sarah gets the shot as do my bostons and i was going to say that about the nasal kind. there have been stories of bullies getting pneumonia from it so i get sarah the shot kind. she did get the nasal one before i knew better and did fine.

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
I did research on this before I got my baby and my vet may disagree's ( looking for a new vet) but there is one breeder who has a story on his web page about Bullie babys younger than 4 months of age and becoming very sick from the intra nasle and he recommends only the shot. Another vet I know who is fabulious with ebgs but doesnt live close to me says the shot isn't effective so if at all possible I would wait until he or she is 4 months and do the intra nasle or if need be do the shot. I had Buddy done with the shot because I wanted to begin to socilize him. Now I am not sure if I should get him the nasle . just to be sure? just my 2 cents.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.