General Question When should you give glucosamine? (and how often?)

eleanorsserf

Sep 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor and Alfred
I'm deeply worried about my children's joints in the future and so is mom, so she got them some glocosamine pills. I've been reading on things like Salmon Oil and want to do as much preventative care as possible.

Is there any merit to giving them glucosamine pills now? And if so, how often?

The thought of joint problems in the future is quite scary.

Thank you :pray:

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My vet suggested GlycoFlex lll since Tank's first visit with him at 8 weeks. He recommended it to help prevent joint problems in adulthood that the bully breed is prone to. He gets one chew at bedtime and loves them. I purchase them online and get 120 for $39. The vets price was $36 for 60.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
:hmm: I guess all vets are different. Mine recommended to give Punkin Glycoflex I daily, which is the weakest of the brand. He just turned 5 and has minor arthritis on his right leg due to loose knees. But my vet has always been more conservative, plus Punks gets bi-monthly low laser therapy for his knees and soon ozone therapy.

Personally, I'd hold off giving glucoseamine until they reach adulthood, which is around 2 years of age. Unless they get some sort of surgery prior, like acl tears or hip replacements. But I've always been the don't fix it if it ain't broke type of person.

Last edited:
OP
E

eleanorsserf

Sep 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor and Alfred
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to wait a bit before continuing but I think I will start them on salmon oil. Planning a vet visit soon and will update y'all when we go.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.